News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Route management improvements designed to reduce short-turns, bunching and gapping of bus and streetcar routes

Does this mean that we'll have the same route management techniques that are used on 510 St. Clair and 29 Dufferin introduced across the surface system? Recall that when the new route management techniques were introduced on 512 St. Clair, on time performance exceeded 90%, up from approximately 60%

Nothing about 2 hour transfers ?

I'm not a fan of letting children under 12 in for free, what's the point ? Use the money to implement 2 hour open transfers .. err ..

Otherwise, awesome news though ..

I'm not a fan of letting children under 12 in for free, what's the point ? Use the money to implement 2 hour open transfers .. err ..

Selling the fare increase to suburban FN families with kids? It's probably a political move.

AoD

I sure hope that the move to 2-hour transfers is not being ignored. BTW, the current child fare is 75 cents.

Josh Colle and John Tory have proposed allowing children under 12 to ride the TTC for free:
under 13 - http://www.ttc.ca/News/2015/January/19012015NR.jsp

Nothing - it seems it's the only proposal from the August 2014 proposed improvements they didn't mention as far as I can see.

I've got 2 children well under 13 ... but I agree. However that would only provide $7 million of the $20 million needed.

Perhaps they are holding off, so as to implement along with full Presto implementation - which would create a bonus for people converting quickly to Presto.

Though presumably this means that the current St. Clair time-based transfer trial will end - based on the TTC decision of January 28, 2014 - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com.../Decisions/7c_Time_Based_Transfers_Update.pdf

I sure hope that the move to 2-hour transfers is not being ignored. BTW, the current child fare is 75 cents.
Only 60¢ with a ticket. I don't really mind paying the 60¢ - but I'll appreciate not always having a wad of those huge child tickets in my wallet.

Last edited:
Non-cash fares are being increased by $0.10

I'm confused by what this means. Does this mean that Metropasses, tickets and tokens will cost $0.10 more?

Non-cash fares are being increased by $0.10

I'm confused by what this means. Does this mean that Metropasses, tickets and tokens will cost $0.10 more?
No, it means that tickets and tokens will cost 10¢ more (except child tickets). Though that would make a senior/student ticket $1.95 compared with $2 cash. That's really getting silly ...

Passes will be increased proportionally. If they hold the same ratios as last time then, Metropasses (for adults) increase from $133.75 to $138.75. MDP (annual) passes would go from $122.5/month to $127/month. Weekly passes increase from $39.25 to $40.75. And day passes increase from $11 to $11.50 - though day passes are currently 4.1 times higher than a token - historically they have been 4 times, so they might just go to $11.25. But obviously I'm guessing a bit.

Letting children 12 and under ride for free is genius.

It drastically simplifies the transit riding experience for young families. There is no need to carry large amounts of change or tickets for relatively trivial amounts of money.
The TTC will save money by no longer needing to administer/produce/distribute child tickets.

Saying that this is a move pandering to Ford Nation in the suburbs is disingenuous. Do you think that no families live downtown? Even if you say that fewer families live downtown, then this is a move that clearly makes a downtown, transit-dependent life much more palatable for families.

Re: kids for free

I suspect this might have been done to make the Presto implementation (whenever that is fully rolled out) somewhat simpler. There would now be only 1 concession fare (Students/seniors).

If it wasn't done for Presto, it's still a relatively inexpensive cost that I support.

In the press release, from this link, it says:

This investment in TTC service also includes 50 new buses and a temporary storage facility to allow for the Express Bus network expansion, reduction of wait times and crowding on some peak-period routes, as well as the need for spare buses during maintenance.

It, however, does not mention where the temporary storage facility will be. My guess, pave some of the land near the current Downsview station. Any vacate shopping mall or discount department store parking lots available?

Last edited:

Back