News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

My heart skipped a beat in excitement thinking that was real.

Care to try and give the Toronto Rockets a similar makeover? I do wish we had painted trains, only the US seems to keep their subways bare like ours, and we all know how highly they think of public transit (or public anything for that matter).

Painting stainless still bodies is not easy. I think if the TTC wanted color on the trains then the most realistic think to do would be vinyl wrapping (think old Via rail trains).

I really don't know of anyone with painted stainless steel trains.

Painting stainless still bodies is not easy. I think if the TTC wanted color on the trains then the most realistic think to do would be vinyl wrapping (think old Via rail trains).

I really don't know of anyone with painted stainless steel trains.
New York City had painted stainless steel subway trains; those that are painted are painted by those not employed by the MTA or the manufacturers of the trains and many of the painters make under $20,000 a year, are mainly under 30, and generally have education level lower than "some college education."

NYCS_tagged_IRT_train.jpg

That is definitely a painted stainless steel subway train, albeit one not condoned by the MTA.

It would be interesting to see Toronto Rockets painted with condoned street art.

Last edited:
Well that's not even a living wage. But I guess that's not MTA's problem.

(I was going to remark my displeasure that the union allowed this, until I reread and saw that they're not MTA emplpyees).

Well that's not even a living wage. But I guess that's not MTA's problem.

(I was going to remark my displeasure that the union allowed this, until I reread and saw that they're not MTA emplpyees).
The painters who painted the New York City subway trains above did so without much financial compensation (aside from getting spray paint) and are often physically threatened by their superiors. Oh, and those painters are very stealthy and secretive.

I forgot to mention that they are very avant-garde in their visual art style, often favouring abstract art, as well as angular writing.

Last edited:
Ottawa has 90 minute transfers with longer times on nights and Sundays. This works pretty well, but the number has to be set for the individual system.
The difference is that you can probably get between any two points in Ottawa's system in 90 minutes. Try getting between East Scarborough and North Etobicoke in 90 minutes.

Do any of you think that the TTC could theoretically operate at no deficit this year if oil prices remain the same?

Do any of you think that the TTC could theoretically operate at no deficit this year if oil prices remain the same?
No. TTC only budgeted $103 million for fuel in 2014. The operating deficit is $400 million.

Even if fuel costs dropped to $60 million (I don't think they will, given the existing contracts, and that diesel prices haven't dropped that much), they'd save only $40 million rather than $400 million. It's an order of magnitude difference.

At best, it might save us a fare increase this year.

While the lowest regular gasoline prices into Toronto today are at 77.9¢ (highest 92.9¢), the lowest diesel price is at 99.9¢ (highest 114.9¢). Almost a 20¢ difference.

If by "no deficit" you mean no subsidy NO WAY. They always plan for a break-even budget and that includes a huge (though actually too small) subsidy from the City of ca$440m. In 2014 - based on last CEO report in December - they are expecting to end 2014 with a $17m surplus, $10m of that was due to lower diesel costs.)

If by "no deficit" you mean no subsidy NO WAY. They always plan for a break-even budget and that includes a huge (though actually too small) subsidy from the City of ca$440m. In 2014 - based on last CEO report in December - they are expecting to end 2014 with a $17m surplus, $10m of that was due to lower diesel costs.)

I meant as in, they don't need to ask for more money than they did last year. Sorry should have clarified.

Back