News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

While the lowest regular gasoline prices into Toronto today are at 77.9¢ (highest 92.9¢), the lowest diesel price is at 99.9¢ (highest 114.9¢). Almost a 20¢ difference.

The price of diesel tends not to fluctuate anywhere near as much as that of gasoline. Possibly because of fleet buyers and price contracts, I don't know. I think the same is true of jet fuel.

To be honest, I'm surprised more people don't park and ride from there, being right next to the 401. Granted when I did drive, I would usually park at Don Mills, Finch, or Yorkdale when heading downtown.

York Mills is paid parking 24/7, whereas Don Mills and Yorkdale are free most/all of the time.

I find the York Mills PPUDO useful for collecting downtown-living friends on the way up north... Yorkdale is too much of a zoo.

Wasn't the TTC thinking of moving it's headquarters from Davisville to there?

Yes, they were going to build a new building there. Instead they renovated the old one. I don't recall the specifics but I believe the concept of the TTC spending on new buildings was too appalling an idea for some. Spending money on renovating the old one, and renting space elsewhere, was better as that could just be buried over many years budgets, regardless of whether it cost more or not. What matters is headlines, not facts.

Wasn't the TTC thinking of moving it's headquarters from Davisville to there?

True. It was to be amalgamate most of the scattered TTC offices, that are currently in several different buildings. It would have included a TTC museum.

See [url]http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/05/06/ttc-considering-new-offices-at-yonge-and-york-mills/[/URL] and [url]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/ttc-nears-deal-for-transit-museum-new-headquarters/article1378922/[/URL].

It would have been cheaper to have most of the TTC offices in one building, but the former mayor couldn't see that.

True. It was to be amalgamate most of the scattered TTC offices, that are currently in several different buildings. It would have included a TTC museum.

See [url]http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/05/06/ttc-considering-new-offices-at-yonge-and-york-mills/[/URL] and [url]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/ttc-nears-deal-for-transit-museum-new-headquarters/article1378922/[/URL].

It would have been cheaper to have most of the TTC offices in one building, but the former mayor couldn't see that.

Why does the City of Toronto have to keep on building more offices? They should be using the ones they have more efficiently or renting from a professional manager.

Toronto has invested $10B in real estate (2013 f/s note 15). Other companies are going to open concept offices and maximizing the use of their real estate. But when you go into a Toronto office building there are large areas that are underutilized.

This means smaller cubicles for staff, no outside offices, etc.

They can also use Metrohall. I assume Sun Life will be moving into their new building in 2 years so there is a bunch of floors available for rent.

The problem with Toronto building another office building is there is a worry that they will build a gold plated palace and not something that is effective and efficient. Even the bank with gold windows new building is very utilitarian.

Now if they sold Davisville for redevelopment....that's more appealing.

Why does the City of Toronto have to keep on building more offices? They should be using the ones they have more efficiently or renting from a professional manager.

Toronto has invested $10B in real estate (2013 f/s note 15). Other companies are going to open concept offices and maximizing the use of their real estate. But when you go into a Toronto office building there are large areas that are underutilized.

This means smaller cubicles for staff, no outside offices, etc.

They can also use Metrohall. I assume Sun Life will be moving into their new building in 2 years so there is a bunch of floors available for rent.

The problem with Toronto building another office building is there is a worry that they will build a gold plated palace and not something that is effective and efficient. Even the bank with gold windows new building is very utilitarian.

Now if they sold Davisville for redevelopment....that's more appealing.

Perhaps the city should look at snatching up some of that space left by Target...

The TTC can put in its new headquarters at the East York Town Centre!

I thought the East Wing of Union Station would make for a great spot. That, or relocate to the Hillcrest Complex.

AoD

I think Hillcrest is full, which is why several departments that used to be there are now in other buildings around town. Unless they build a large new building at Hillcrest, I think they're going to remain scattered about. Davisville was originally for the executive offices, Commissioners, etc. and at one time even had the money-counting operation. I don't know if the East Wing of Union Station would accommodate everyone but it's not a bad idea. The structural supports at the Greenwood Shops could also accommodate a building on top.

Perhaps the city should look at snatching up some of that space left by Target...

The TTC can put in its new headquarters at the East York Town Centre!

Actually not that bad of a suggestion if Toronto is running out of space. A great example of a redevelopment of a mall is the Galleria in downtown London. There is a call centre, a library and even an accounting firm that took over department store space. And now the remaining area has a captive office worker audience to sell to.

But of course that would mean the TTC employees would have to take a bus (the horror) to get to work.

....off of topic but I wonder if the TTC and GO employees have to include a taxable benefit for the free transit usage (explicit or implicit in the contract). I think they need too...just not sure if the city does the calculation.

Why does the City of Toronto have to keep on building more offices?

In 2006, Toronto's population was 2,503,281. In 2011, it was 2,615,060. A 4.5% increase or 111,779 more people. All requiring services (water, transit, roads, etc.). The city would then people to serve them. I expect by 2016, the population of Toronto to increase about the same amount, based on all the condo construction going on. The city itself will need more offices and much more public transit as well, which means more buses and streetcars.

Well, here's the future, funding-wise:

Mayor Tory, Chair Colle announce major investment in transit to cut congestion:
Kids to ride free on the TTC, significant expansion of bus routes and more subway trains during rush hour

January 19, 2015

Toronto Mayor John Tory and TTC Chair Josh Colle today announced a $95 million investment that will significantly expand and enhance transit service, reduce wait times and crowding, and make using the TTC more affordable for families by eliminating fares for children 12 years and under.

"We need to get Toronto moving and investing in transit is an essential part of that," said Mayor Tory. "The package we are announcing will not only make a difference in commute times and crowding on the transit system, it also provides financial relief for Toronto families."

TTC staff has been working hard over the last several weeks to present options for a budget that includes new buses, storage and the reinstatement of service. To help balance the TTC budget, Mayor Tory asked the City to increase the TTC's subsidy to nearly $479 million, an increase of more than $38 million from 2014. Effective March 1, as well, a 10-cent proportionate fare increase will apply to all TTC fares except for cash fares, investing an additional $43 million in revenue to pay for new services that will meet an increasing ridership, estimated to be 545 million in 2015.

These new investments will provide the following enhanced services to Toronto commuters:
- Restoration of all day, everyday bus service that was cut in 2011
- Ten-minute or better bus and streetcar service on key routes from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. six days a week (9 a.m. on Sundays)
- Reduced wait times and crowding at off-peak times
- Reduced wait times and crowding on 21 of the busiest routes during morning and afternoon rush hours
- Proof-of-payment and all-door boarding on all streetcar routes
- Expansion of the Express Bus network, adding four new routes to a network that serves 34 million rides annually
- Expanding the Blue Night Network, adding 12 routes to the 22-route network that serves 4 million rides annually
- Adding up to two additional subway trains on Lines 1 and 2 during morning and afternoon rush hours
- Route management improvements designed to reduce short-turns, bunching and gapping of bus and streetcar routes
- Additional resources to focus on subway reliability around signals, track and communications systems

This investment in TTC service also includes 50 new buses and a temporary storage facility to allow for the Express Bus network expansion, reduction of wait times and crowding on some peak-period routes, as well as the need for spare buses during maintenance.

"Making transit more affordable for families and delivering the services that riders need is at the heart of this proposed budget," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "If approved, this significant investment in the TTC will have a noticeable impact for TTC riders across the city, with expanded routes, and more frequent and reliable service."

"This is an investment in families and a much needed jumpstart towards easing congestion," said City of Toronto Budget Chair Gary Crawford. "I'm confident the City's $479 million subsidy, coupled with the $43 million in revenue from the fare increase, is the balanced approach everyone can appreciate."

Timing of the introduction of additional service, as well as the restoration of service, is being developed by staff now. Financial details of the new services will be detailed in the February 2 budget report to the TTC board.

Josh Colle and John Tory have proposed allowing children under 12 to ride the TTC for free:

Children under 12 will ride the TTC for free but other fares will increase by 10 cents, under proposed changes presented Monday by Mayor John Tory.
The changes were part of a $95 million investment announced by Tory and TTC Chair Josh Colle.
There were several other proposals announced including:
Proof-of-payment and all-door-boarding on all streetcar routes.
Two additional subway trains on Lines 1 & 2 during morning & afternoon rush.
10 cent fare increase on TTC starting March 1.
Children under 12 ride TTC free as of March 1. This will cost $7.1 million per year.
New express routes.

Restoration of all day, everyday bus service that was cut in 2011
“We need to get Toronto moving and investing in transit is an essential part of that," said Mayor Tory in a TTC statement. "The package we are announcing will not only make a difference in commute times and crowding on the transit system, it also provides financial relief for Toronto families."
The statement said the changes “will significantly expand and enhance transit service, reduce wait times and crowding, and make using the TTC more affordable for families by eliminating fares for children 12 years and under.”

Back