News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Yes, since the TTC has so many technicians just sitting around on their ass doing nothing (all that waste that he's looking for) that can just put down whatever they're doing and fix broken AC units. The HVAC systems require dedicated or at least specially trained techs, and if the units are broken down beyond economical repair, they'll likely need to put out a tender to either replace them or replace specific components. Sure, all that can be done over few weeks.

That's called "waiting for parts". It's part of the "just in time" strategy, where inventories are kept very low or no inventory at all, and any parts that are needed arrive just as they are needed.

Does not work where parts might be faulty or the movement of the parts are delayed.

Agreed. Whenever I take the King car from west of Bathurst to east of Yonge (or vice versa) I see lots of people who are on it across downtown. I don't feel like a rare person at all when doing that. :cool:

Is it really that rare?.....seems to me that most (all?) of the streetcars arriving at, say, Simcoe on King are jammed full of people.
That's right, not rare at all. Many people even in business attire hop on the streetcar for a few stops along King.

Is it really that rare?.....seems to me that most (all?) of the streetcars arriving at, say, Simcoe on King are jammed full of people.

Sure, jammed full of people that boarded at Yonge; not the people who boarded at Broadview. I've never done a count but on the rare trip when I take King across the city I see about a 90% turnover between Jarvis and Spadina.

Anyway, TTC would clearly need to do an analysis before implementing something like the layout I suggested. I just think it's worth taking a look at splitting the route instead of doing the Queen detour.

We could send Cherry cars via the detour for those travelling through downtown at rush-hour to other destinations.

Agreed. Whenever I take the King car from west of Bathurst to east of Yonge (or vice versa) I see lots of people who are on it across downtown. I don't feel like a rare person at all when doing that. :cool:

Okay. I guess the Queen detour really is the best we can do. That's a pity.

We could send Cherry cars via the detour for those travelling through downtown at rush-hour to other destinations.

from my understanding of the diversion map ist that the King car is being split in two routes and the Cherry street car will run along queen and contune on from Spadina. Alos someone asked how the 510 and 509 cars will enter service with King closed I would guess they would use Queen street and if they can't go north from there they will head south and short tune at King using Charlote lop

TTC proposed 10-year capital budget is online for their budget ctte. mtg on September 6.

It shows the significant difference recent federal funds have made in reducing their 'backlog' of unfunded projects.

However, they also have a 'capacity to spend' reduction baked in which strikes me as a tad misleading.

There are also several projects coming down the pipe, currently under study, which aren't even listed in terms of being un-funded. (ie Bloor-Yonge capacity expansion).

Included in their list of projects were a few items worth mentioning.

'Station Transformation' - This is not explained and I am not sure what this entails, where.

Under the report on Federal funds, the waterfront transit design money is going to the west waterfront LRT project to get the the Exhibition Loop to Dufferin Gate section to the 30% design level.

In same report, a note that a feasibility study is looking at the extending the Railpath north to St. Clair.

Reports Here:

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...ings/Budget/2016/September_6/Agenda/index.jsp

http://www.680news.com/2016/09/03/t...crashes-into-pedestrians-at-long-branch-loop/

When the announcer spoke if this, it sounded more like it was a TTC problem, than a case of tremendous stupidity on the part of some assh*ole.

Bad news for three sods.

Bad news for a transit agency that needs to catch a breakeven from its boosters here.

I hope that service is smooth and ridership high this critical Fall season. We are a year out front Line 1 expansion in service. Two years later, ECLRT will be fitting out and testing. Have patience.

Here we go again. See link.

Exhibition streetcar loop closure - Track replacement on south side of loop
September 6 to December 17, 2016

The second phase of track reconstruction at TTC’s Exhibition streetcar loop is set to begin after the Labour Day weekend. Earlier this year, the TTC and Metrolinx coordinated efforts during the first phase of work to rehabilitate both the TTC’s north streetcar tracks and GO’s Exhibition Station eastbound platform. Exhibition loop was reopened on the weekend of August 13 providing streetcar service during the Canadian National Exhibition.

Work description and purpose
Beginning September 6, the streetcar service to the Exhibition Streetcar Loop will be suspended again to allow for phase two of this project. During this phase, track and drainage on the south side of the loop including the tracks leading to Strachan Avenue will be reconstructed. In addition, seven underground electrical splice chambers will be replaced. This work is required to return the tracks, drainage and electrical underground infrastructure to a state of good repair. This phase is scheduled for completion by December 17, 2016.

TTC service (September 6 to November 19)
TTC buses will continue serving local residents and will provide service into the Exhibition Place grounds during the closure of the streetcar loop.
  • 509 Harbourfront streetcars will operate between Union Station and the Bathurst and Fleet area (Fleet streetcar loop)
  • 511 Bathurst streetcars will operate between Bathurst Station and the Bathurst and Fleet area (Fleet streetcar loop).
  • 509/511 Replacement buses will operate from the Bathurst and Fleet area into the Exhibition Place grounds.
  • Note: During high volume events, 509/511 replacement buses will not enter the Exhibition Place grounds, and will turn back at the Princes’ Gates loop.
TTC service (November 20 to December 17)
  • 509 Harbourfront streetcars will operate between Union Station and the Bathurst and Fleet area (Fleet streetcar loop).
  • 511 Bathurst streetcars will be converted to buses operating between Bathurst Station and the Exhibition Place grounds.
TTC service (Starting December 18)
  • 509 Harbourfront streetcars will resume service into Exhibition Loop.
  • 511 Bathurst buses will continue to operate on the 511 route and into the Exhibition Loop.
  • 511 Bathurst streetcars will resume regular service on Sunday, January 8, 2017.
"This work is required to return the tracks, drainage and electrical underground infrastructure to a state of good repair."? We can't have "state of good repair"!! That goes against Ebenezer Tory's goal of a 2.6% reduction in the TTC budget. We can't have that! o_O

"This work is required to return the tracks, drainage and electrical underground infrastructure to a state of good repair."? We can't have "state of good repair"!! That goes against Ebenezer Tory's goal of a 2.6% reduction in the TTC budget. We can't have that! o_O

Tory only wanted a reduction in the operating budget, not the capital budget. The way TTC has tackled that kind of request in the past is to package up things normally under the operating budget (like escalator maintenance) into a big bundle then tender it under the SOGR budget as a capital item.

That's the main reason you cannot directly compare TTC farebox recovery ratio to other agencies in North America. The divide between operations and capital is different for every agency.

Here we go again. See link.

Exhibition streetcar loop closure - Track replacement on south side of loop
September 6 to December 17, 2016

Cynicism does not befit the intelligent discussion in the forum.

And everyone who is critical of the current mayor - and I have to admit, I am a big fan - must consider carefully what could succeed him. As the proverb goes, "beware of what you ask for, because you might just get it."

The other thing to recall is that life is not all white or black. There is a good deal of grey. Supporting a particular politician does not imply slavish ass-kissing. It can represent that in comparison with the the past two decades in this neck of the woods, to have a person who can string together a coherent multi-syllabic argument, understand a balance sheet, support the whole city, not just certain segments of the population, and who's presence is not utterly polarizing is a huge advance. Like anything, there will be elements we embrace, elements we can take or leave, and elements that we don't care for.

So the paper transfers, diesel fuel, electricity, paint, light bulbs, etc. should be included in the "capital" budget, and not the "operating" budget? Fine by me.

Tory only wanted a reduction in the operating budget, not the capital budget. The way TTC has tackled that kind of request in the past is to package up things normally under the operating budget (like escalator maintenance) into a big bundle then tender it under the SOGR budget as a capital item.

That's the main reason you cannot directly compare TTC farebox recovery ratio to other agencies in North America. The divide between operations and capital is different for every agency.

And this is all a silly accounting debate. (But good for academe.) Fares and grants are income. Building things and paying the fuel bill are expenses. Debating how it's booked is a waste of time, but influences how government grants.

What matters is a permanent, stable revenue stream that would allow any business to plan. The rest is immaterial. Some of that revenue will be farebox, and some will be contributions from tax. Twenty years of debate and no resolution. Good Lord.

Back