News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

As someone who worked in construction when I was younger, its very rare for renovations to remove the old tile/flooring etc in commercial and rental spaces etc. That's really only something people with a nice house and lots of money do. More often than not they just cover up the old tile/flooring, unless there is a reason they can't.

I know its a common choice, just like w/roof shingles, put another layer on until you can't.

But its never the ideal choice; its the cost-effective choice...............IF, you do it properly of course.

I was pretty young when the TTC was re-doing Line 1 stations downtown, so I can't be sure how they did it, but I believe they just tried to adhere it.

Now they use a different system.

That said, I'm not a fan of leaving the old, because the old can be hiding problems w/leaks, w/structure etc.

Better to strip down to studs (or concrete or tunnel liners) and make sure everything is good before building new. Its more expensive in the short-run, but should lead to longer-lasting renos.

Last edited:
Need to get rid of those slat celling as they are a dust collector, lots of work to take them down and put back in place to fix something. But most of all, the miss matching and the look after been replace. Then how long it takes to replace them after the work is done like the photo above.

I agree with stripping to make sure the wall is fine that is almost 70 years old.

Need to get rid of those slat celling as they are a dust collector, lots of work to take them down and put back in place to fix something. But most of all, the miss matching and the look after been replace. Then how long it takes to replace them after the work is done like the photo above.

I agree with stripping to make sure the wall is fine that is almost 70 years old.
It's a bit like carpet tiles which are (theoretically) a great idea and make it easy to replace a section that is stained or torn BUT it never matches!

While I agree w/the need for a different ceiling finish..............

I don't like the TTC's new preferred version (I've seen it multiple times now in different stations)

Here it is in Sherbourne from a photo I took a few months ago:

1649083946721.png

Its just insidiously bland, made worse at Sherbourne because of its similarity to the wall colour.

But I would add that new finish which generally seems to be used w/old school box lighting (albeit it LED these days) ..........also seems prone to oil-canning.

We don't need to break the bank on ceiling finishes.

Just something nice please, and can we do recessed can lights instead of big rectangular boxes straight out of 1966?

While I agree w/the need for a different ceiling finish..............

I don't like the TTC's new preferred version (I've seen it multiple times now in different stations)

Here it is in Sherbourne from a photo I took a few months ago:

View attachment 390111

Its just insidiously bland, made worse at Sherbourne because of its similarity to the wall colour.

But I would add that new finish which generally seems to be used w/old school box lighting (albeit it LED these days) ..........also seems prone to oil-canning.

We don't need to break the bank on ceiling finishes.

Just something nice please, and can we do recessed can lights instead of big rectangular boxes straight out of 1966?
I hate the new ceiling looks, but you don't need an ceiling on the platforms.

One colour look is not the way to go either.

What is the cheapest cost and don't care what it looks like is TTC and ML views these days.

Board Meeting - April 14, 2022​

Meeting Info​

Date:Thursday, April 14, 2022

Start Time:10:00 a.m. – Public Session
Meeting No:2063
Live Stream:Official TTC Youtube channel

Presentations/Reports/Other Business​

Item 1. Chief Executive Officer’s Report – April 2022 (For Information)​

Item 2. Approved Minutes of the Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit (ACAT) General Monthly Meeting for December 16, 2021, January 27 and February 24, 2022 (For Information)​

Item 3. TTC Collective Bargaining and Non-Union Salary Updates (This report contains information about labour relations or employee negotiations) (For Action) – Deferred from February 10, 2022​

Item 4. Digital Connectivity Strategy (This report contains information about a trade secret or scientific, technical, commercial, financial or labour relations information, supplied in confidence to the City or local board, which, if disclosed, could reasonably be expected to prejudice significantly the competitive position or interfere significantly with the contractual or other negotiations of a person, group of persons, or organization) (For Action)​

Item 5. Amendment to TTC’s Advertising Contract (This report contains information about a position, plan, procedure, criteria or instruction to be applied to any negotiations carried on or to be carried on by or on behalf of the City or local board) (For Action)​

Item 6. Toronto Transit Commission Cybersecurity Audit Phase 1: Critical IT Assets and User Access Management (This report contains information related to the security of the property of the municipality or local board) (For Action)​

Item 7. 1 Yorkdale Road – Office Space Lease (This report is about a proposed or pending land acquisition or disposition of land for municipal or local board purposes) (For Action)​

Item 8. Line 3 Bus Replacement Study Final Recommendations (For Action)​

Item 9. 1 Line 5 Eglinton – Train Operating and Funding Agreement (For Action)​

Item 10. TTC’s Green Bus Program: Final Results of TTC’s Head-to-Head eBus Evaluation (For Action)​

Item 11. Diversity and Culture 2021 Annual Report (For Action)​

Item 12. TTC Special Constable Service 2021 Annual Report (For Action)​

Item 13. Making Museum Station Accessible, Second Exit/Entrance and Structural Rehabilitation (For Action)​

Item 14. Making High Park Station Accessible (For Action)​

Item 15. Financial and Major Projects Update for the Period Ended December 31, 2021 (For Action)​

Item 16. City Council Transmittal – MM41.4 – Conversion of Toronto Transit Commission Roe Bus Loop into Much Needed Park – by Councillor Mike Colle, seconded by Councillor John Filion​

Item 17. Notice of Motion – Working Together to Address Transit Worker Assaults – by Chair Jaye Robinson, seconded by Commissioner Jennifer McKelvie​

From CEO Report re the streetcar WELD PROBLEM:

Streetcar availability Alstom is nearing the completion of its Major Repair Program (MRP) on the TTC’s accessible streetcar fleet. As of March 31, a total of 51 streetcars out of 67 in the MRP have been completed for weld repairs. This work was originally scheduled to be completed by late-2023, but as a result of reduced ridership caused by the pandemic, the program was accelerated and is now scheduled for completion this summer.

Last edited:
From CEO Report re the streetcar WELD PROBLEM:

Streetcar availability Alstom is nearing the completion of its Major Repair Program (MRP) on the TTC’s accessible streetcar fleet. As of March 31, a total of 51 streetcars out of 67 in the MRP have been completed for weld repairs. This work was originally scheduled to be completed by late-2023, but as a result of reduced ridership caused by the pandemic, the program was accelerated and is now scheduled for completion this summer.
Not sure what the issue is, but TTC seem to take a longer timeframe for off loading cars once CP has drop the car off at the platform. Been 4-9 working days (M-F) from the time the car was drop off to been off loaded by TTC. 9 days the longest I know of.

There are 3 cars I know of sitting in Lambton still waiting to be off loaded after CP drop off 4451 on March 26 (Sat) and off loaded Mar 31. Haven't check Hillcrest to see if 4459 still sitting at Hillcrest or if another car been drop off. 4441 should be the next one depending on CP or one of the other 2 cars. 4441 arrived Mar 16 along with 4451

Then, CP has taken their time dropping of cars off or pickup them up. A few cars have sat over 30 days in Lambton and will be longer with 4441 and over 10 days to pickup a car at Hillcrest. Then it taken a week to get from Lambton to Agincourt.

No cars been off loaded since Mar 31 so far (8 Days),

TTC has more than enough cars on hand to handle today needs. Come Sept, more cars will be needed as the KQQR intersection returns to service as well increase of service for the fall. If things stay the course, TTC will have all 204 for service by Oct again. Other changes are taking place on Alstom dime to have the cars perform better than BBD.

Takes 24-54 days for returning cars to reenter service after being off loaded

The new(ish) TTC website gets stranger and stranger. Here is a page from the Construction Projects pages, VERY helpful info! See: https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisories/construction-notices/Russell-Carhouse---future-works

Russell Carhouse - future works​

Effective

Future Russell Carhouse Upgrades and Schedule​

• Track upgrades (bringing them to a state of good repair) – date TBD
  • Carhouse modifications (extension and renovation for minor maintenance) – date TBD

For further information:​

Denise Jayawardene, Senior Community Liaison, 416-885-9552, denise.jayawardene@ttc.ca.

Then there is this one! No Route # and from 2020 and apparently lasting only a minute! From the link it was Bathurst! https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisori...porary-route-change-during-CCTV-investigation

Temporary route change during CCTV investigation​

Effective December 7, 2020 - 02:01 PM to 2:01 PM

The new(ish) TTC website gets stranger and stranger. Here is a page from the Construction Projects pages, VERY helpful info! See: https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisories/construction-notices/Russell-Carhouse---future-works

Russell Carhouse - future works​

Effective

Future Russell Carhouse Upgrades and Schedule​

• Track upgrades (bringing them to a state of good repair) – date TBD
  • Carhouse modifications (extension and renovation for minor maintenance) – date TBD

For further information:​

Denise Jayawardene, Senior Community Liaison, 416-885-9552, denise.jayawardene@ttc.ca.

Then there is this one! No Route # and from 2020 and apparently lasting only a minute! From the link it was Bathurst! https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisori...porary-route-change-during-CCTV-investigation

Temporary route change during CCTV investigation​

Effective December 7, 2020 - 02:01 PM to 2:01 PM

And yet............they are issuing the tender for the Museum Station easier access project at the next meeting, and there is no reference to the project on the website, no renders, no diagrams.....

Reactions: DSC
And yet............they are issuing the tender for the Museum Station easier access project at the next meeting, and there is no reference to the project on the website, no renders, no diagrams.....
The addition to Russell carhouse will be the same as Roncesvalles on the west side.

TTC CEO thinks the public has no interested in their project and see no need to show things or go into detail on their website. Also keeping the cost out sight to hide the sticker cost of doing things.

Those rosery glasses hid the look of things.

There was a plan around for the Museum as what was to happen and no idea if it still is the same plan that going to take place. Queen Park did not want the 2nd exit on their land as it was to be at the south end of the platform in the jail area.

I heard a weird "truck backing up" noise late yesterday evening sometime after 9:00 p.m., but it was much louder than normal. I opened up the balcony and saw it was coming from a streetcar. Is this an operator activated emergency alarm?
It was making the noise for about 10 minutes, then the streetcar moved on, though it appeared as though everyone on board had exited but I can't be 100% certain on that part as I can only see the whole vehicle for a brief moment further down the street.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread to discuss this but anyways. I was riding the subway from highway 407 station to downtown on Thursday, and I noticed that the walls of the new stations are looking worse every year.

The scary thing is the stations aren't that old compared to the rest of the system, so whats going on?

Not sure if this is the right thread to discuss this but anyways. I was riding the subway from highway 407 station to downtown on Thursday, and I noticed that the walls of the new stations are looking worse every year.

The scary thing is the stations aren't that old compared to the rest of the system, so whats going on?
Lowest cost or lowest bidder wins. Finishings likely selected by non-transit users.

I heard a weird "truck backing up" noise late yesterday evening sometime after 9:00 p.m., but it was much louder than normal. I opened up the balcony and saw it was coming from a streetcar. Is this an operator activated emergency alarm?
It was making the noise for about 10 minutes, then the streetcar moved on, though it appeared as though everyone on board had exited but I can't be 100% certain on that part as I can only see the whole vehicle for a brief moment further down the street.

I wanna say that’s the wheelchair ramp being deployed and then stowed. It’s been a while since I’ve seen it in action, though.

Back