News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think this has to do with Asbestos removal. If I recall, there was/is a fair bit of remediation work going on at the moment.

Some of the materials which were common at the time of construction are now in need of removal.

They were also removing it from tunnels in the area if I'm not mistaken.
This may be so but the real question is why have several stations had panels removed (some months/years ago and some more recently -or have had more removed) and then seem to have had no work done? A far as I know, no 'work plan' is posted in the stations, on the TTC's (dreadful) website or even noted at their (rather useless) Board?

There’s a station in Moscow, I believe, that actually looks like this. But on purpose. It’s nice sleek black and white and popular on Instagram.

Yes, Savyolovskaya on Line 11 purposfully exposes many of the structural elements which are normally covered by using glass instead of the usual marble or granite.

Zoom in on the green granite lined window areas:
Moscow_Metro_SavyolovskayaBKL_asv2019-01.jpg

Platform edge:
futaa434bzt31.jpg

There’s a station in Moscow, I believe, that actually looks like this. But on purpose. It’s nice sleek black and white and popular on Instagram.
Platform edge:
futaa434bzt31.jpg

Were any TTC station so well maintained, or given such elegant finishes.......

* to be fair, the original Spadina line has some very nice finishes, but the terrible maintenance practices have diminished them, regrettably.

Were any TTC station so well maintained, or given such elegant finishes.......

* to be fair, the original Spadina line has some very nice finishes, but the terrible maintenance practices have diminished them, regrettably.

IMO the original 1954 subway line from Union to Eglinton was gorgeous in the vitrolite tiles. Minimalist but clean and elegant.

1649689341294.png

1649689365449.png

1649689502185.png

1649689575257.png

Unfortunately they were very sensitive and prone to cracking easily, difficult to replace and eventually stopped being produced altogether.

The problem is the TTC budget. With "business" leaders on the board and the bureaucracy, who only look at dollar signs and don't even use public transit (except for photo ops), we end up last or low getting any kind of budget money for maintenance or upkeep.

You think you were in a hospital at the new King Station crap look station.

The Commissioners wants slap slap cheap cost finishes with no thought how transit riders are forced to look at them on a daily base or think about them.

Some of the old stations look great while others were boring and out dated.

The new tiles that were used on the line 2 extension did not hold up well and hard to replace. Only have to look at Victoria Park to see the issues that took place rebuilding it. Tiles that mismatch the existing ones and upside down. Even Dufferin had the same issues.

The University line stations were a mess from day one. With the panels gone from stations wall, the curve wall should be left as is with cleaning and some better look colours on them and spend the money on the platform.

Saying that a metro looks soviet built is like... the biggest honour you can possibly bestow onto a metro. Literally nobody can beat the soviets at making beautiful stations.

I actually took a virtual tour of the Moscow Metro recently via a website called Heygo if anyone here is interested. It is in three parts as listed below and free (though tips are suggested).

The tours are currently listed as "coming soon" but that is only because of the current situation in Russia, Anna (the guide) does not want to be filming in public at the moment for security reasons. She is really good at what she does and the tours are quite informative.

https://www.heygo.com/tours/moscow-metro

https://www.heygo.com/tours/moscow-metro-part-2

https://www.heygo.com/tours/moscow-metro-part-3-modern-stations

A 501 streetcar plowed into a car stopped on the tracks today.

Unfortunately couldn't find the story on cbc's website.

Edit: Found it on YouTube
BlogTO also has a story on it.

Edit 2: Actually happened on April 9th. Apologies if it's already been posted.

Last edited:
A 501 streetcar plowed into a car stopped on the tracks today.

Unfortunately couldn't find the story on cbc's website.

Edit: Found it on YouTube
BlogTO also has a story on it.

Edit 2: Actually happened on April 9th. Apologies if it's already been posted.
Google is your best friend as I found this in 15 seconds

What was TTC driver thinking as its his fault by the looks of it??? need more video to say for sure

The TTC is investigating after a streetcar slammed into a stopped car in downtown Toronto

Get ready for more slow orders and idiotic Standard Operating Procedures because of this incident. Wouldnt be surprised if the TTC wrote up another stupid policy because of this.

I wonder just what the operator was up to when he crashed.

I've seen a few operators with an earbud in trying to drive.

The scuttlebut from inside the Commission is that the driver became temporarily incapacitated - the dead-man handle is what initiated the emergency braking.

Dan

The scuttlebut from inside the Commission is that the driver became temporarily incapacitated - the dead-man handle is what initiated the emergency braking.

Dan

Medical issues are never fun. Thankfully this was not more serious.

The TTC is very careful when it comes to medical issues but sometimes I wonder if annual physicals should be a requirement for continued employment. The MTO does have rules in place for commercial vehicle drivers however, that only really applies when a doctor has reason to suspend a license. If operators had annual physicals that could catch this sort of thing before it occurs, this would be useful.

Back