News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The Richmond Hill GO train extends TWO CARS beyond the end of the platform here, so those in the back cars have to make their way forward. These trains don't even have the benefit of being articulated, though the connections between the cars is very tight and secure.

Attaching overflow cars to the Rockets is something the TTC should definitely look into.

I am far from an expert on this kind of stuff but just observation there is a big difference between how GO trains operate and the subway does.

On GO there is a large distance/travel time between stations during which customer service announcements can remind people which cars will not open at the next station and which direction you have to move to get to one that will open. Then at the station, the train is there longer to allow people to get off.

Subway stops are closer together and often more crowded and with shorter dwell times at stations......seems to me many more times that people would be unable to get off at the station they want to.

do anyone know the length of a signal block? would a longer train affect signal operations too?

The fixed block system will be phased out and replaced with a moving block system once ATC is ready. I believe the fixed block system will still be used when the trains are under manual control. The length of the blocks are based on safe emergency stopping distances, so I don't expect that longer trains would interfere with signal operations.

The fixed block system will be phased out and replaced with a moving block system once ATC is ready. I believe the fixed block system will still be used when the trains are under manual control. The length of the blocks are based on safe emergency stopping distances, so I don't expect that longer trains would interfere with signal operations.

You just finished saying that there is a fixed-block system laid underneath the ATO/ATC system, and you think that longer trains wouldn't interfere with signal operations???

Let me correct that for you. It would be a problem.

And you also need to take into account that all of the maintenance facilities are also designed and built to handle 500 foot long trains.

In the grand scheme of things, it is just not worth it to try and shoehorn another 15 or 25 feet beyond the current platform lengths. Once we get to ATC/ATO and 500 foot long trains, the next logical step - excepting more lines in the network, of course - is to do what New York did and lengthen platforms, signal blocks and maintenance facilities to handle 600 foot long trains.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The Richmond Hill GO train extends TWO CARS beyond the end of the platform here, so those in the back cars have to make their way forward. These trains don't even have the benefit of being articulated, though the connections between the cars is very tight and secure.

Attaching overflow cars to the Rockets is something the TTC should definitely look into.

I imagine the average rider would be terrified to walk between 2 cars on a moving train. I would guess that a rider may get off at a platform and run forward or backwards one car to make a switch, but to travel between cars, especially while in motion, is not something that average person would do. It is not a concern at all for subways with their walk through design. And if the goal for now is a 7 (full size) car train, then you only have to walk to the next doors. Even if an 8 (full sized) car train was used, one set of doors from the front and back car would line up at the station to take any passengers who "accidentally" were on the wrong car, or for emergency evacuation.

I imagine the average rider would be terrified to walk between 2 cars on a moving train. I would guess that a rider may get off at a platform and run forward or backwards one car to make a switch, but to travel between cars, especially while in motion, is not something that average person would do.

People walk from-car-to-car on GO trains all the time. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing anyone run from one car to another on a GO train.

Why would you think it would be any more terrifying than walking inside of a moving train car?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And you also need to take into account that all of the maintenance facilities are also designed and built to handle 500 foot long trains.

In the grand scheme of things, it is just not worth it to try and shoehorn another 15 or 25 feet beyond the current platform lengths. Once we get to ATC/ATO and 500 foot long trains, the next logical step - excepting more lines in the network, of course - is to do what New York did and lengthen platforms, signal blocks and maintenance facilities to handle 600 foot long trains.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That is one of the constraints that I considered. I would guess that an 8 car train at 602' in length may have trouble fitting in the maintenance facilities, but I am not as sure for the 530' (actually 527'2") 7 car train. If someone would post information (drawings, official quotes, etc.) that pocket tracks and maintenance facilities are not able to accommodate 530', then I accept that this 7 car train idea will not work.

As for fixed blocks, they only seem to apply in case of problems with moving block. The length of the train from front to last axle is 510'. Could the actual blocks have a small amount of safety built in that they are not exactly 500' 0" apart?

Since the signalling is currently going on, hopefully they are smart enough to accommodate 7 and 8 car trains.

The whole point is that not All platforms need to be lengthened. Only lengthen the key stations.

People walk from-car-to-car on GO trains all the time. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing anyone run from one car to another on a GO train.

Why would you think it would be any more terrifying than walking inside of a moving train car?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Nobody ever walked between subway cars. Not sure, but I recall it was either illegal or highly frowned upon. Torontonians have been trained to not walk between cars. It still surprises me when I see it on a GO train, maybe every 10th trip I see someone do it, so it is not non-existant, but I do not think the average person would even consider it.

Last edited:
Most Platforms cannot be expanded to fit a full 7 car train.

Based on the platform drawings I was able to find online, 100% of platforms can be extended. I would like if someone could prove me wrong. Of special interest would be the key stations along the Yonge-University Line.

Closing off doors at the ends will only delay operation more at peak time.

It would only be one set of doors at the front and/or back of the train. Also, this area would be clearly marked on TTC maps, the platform, and in the car itself as to the fact that the doors only open at select stations (or not at all). I have been on trains with inoperable doors and the train continued all the way to the terminal. Even without advanced warning, people figure it out. If there were any safety requirement about all doors opening, these trains would have been taken from service immediately.

Since the driver is to have full control and operation of doors, very hard to have screens in the tunnel for them to help in closing the doors.

I am not sure if this means that the driver currently has full control to operate each set of doors independently, or not. It does not seem to be that hard to implement. I do not think it wise for the train doors to open in the tunnel, but some type of permanently closed screen doors in the tunnel that actually prevent people from exiting the open door. Screen Doors along the platform would be another issue separate from this.

What should happen when the new TR are move over to the BD, a new full 7 car train of equal length car be built that will fit the 500 feet platforms. Should had happen from day 1 for the new ones.
I thought ordering standard vehicle sizes helps reduce costs. It seems a needless extra cost to have the standard 75' cars replaced with 73' cars.

You just finished saying that there is a fixed-block system laid underneath the ATO/ATC system, and you think that longer trains wouldn't interfere with signal operations???

Let me correct that for you. It would be a problem.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

My apologies.

I was incorrectly under the impression that the lengths of the individual fixed blocks were a function of the the worst possible stopping distance (accounting for weather, grade, friction, speed, weight, etc...).

The TTC uses an overlapping fix block system. When a train is occupying a block, the number of blocks behind the train that other trains will not be permitted to enter will be equivalent to the worst possible stopping distance. So for example, let's say part of the line has an arrangement of blocks:
B1 -> B2 -> B3 -> B4 -> B5 -> B6 -> B7 -> B8.

If a train is occupying B8, and under worst possible circumstances it takes 4 blocks for a train to stop, then typically no vehcile will be permitted to enter B4, B5, B6, B7 or B8.

So in other words, the number of blocks that a vehcile will not be permitted to enter is a function of the stopping distance under worst possible circumstances.

The length of a signal block is approximately the length of the passenger platforms.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Nobody ever walked between subway cars. Not sure, but I recall it was either illegal or highly frowned upon. Torontonians have been trained to not walk between cars. It still surprises me when I see it on a GO train, maybe every 10th trip I see someone do it, so it is not non-existant, but I do not think the average person would even consider it.
I don't know what you are talking about, people do it every single day on the GO Train. I see it every time that I'm on a train. This especially happens a lot on rush hour trains as people move through the cars looking for a seat, or move towards the car that will allow them to exit nearest to the parking lot at the end of their journey.

The subway is another story, but saying that the average person would not even consider it, is absolutely ludicrous.

I don't know what you are talking about, people do it every single day on the GO Train. I see it every time that I'm on a train. This especially happens a lot on rush hour trains as people move through the cars looking for a seat, or move towards the car that will allow them to exit nearest to the parking lot at the end of their journey.

The subway is another story, but saying that the average person would not even consider it, is absolutely ludicrous.

Agreed. I'm a daily GO rider and not a day goes by that I don't see at least a half-dozen to dozen passengers move through the cars, at least.

That is one of the constraints that I considered. I would guess that an 8 car train at 602' in length may have trouble fitting in the maintenance facilities, but I am not as sure for the 530' (actually 527'2") 7 car train. If someone would post information (drawings, official quotes, etc.) that pocket tracks and maintenance facilities are not able to accommodate 530', then I accept that this 7 car train idea will not work.

The system was designed from the outset for ~500 foot long trains, and all of the facilities - platforms, signal system, tail tracks, maintenance facilities, etc. - were designed for that. (In fact, the physical layout of the maintenance workshops were designed for 150 foot long pairs of cars, and the ones at Wilson and Davisville had to be rebuilt to handle the 450 foot long TR sets.) They aren't designed for a 7th full-length car, which is why the TTC has always been talking about a 50 foot long car, not a 75 foot long one.

As for fixed blocks, they only seem to apply in case of problems with moving block. The length of the train from front to last axle is 510'. Could the actual blocks have a small amount of safety built in that they are not exactly 500' 0" apart?

With certain exceptions in certain areas, blocks are 2x ~500 feet long with very minor variances for equipment layout and locations. A train that is 510 feet long may cause problems because not every block is the exact same length, and the distance between two regular signals may in fact be shorter than the fixed length of your proposed train.

Since the signalling is currently going on, hopefully they are smart enough to accommodate 7 and 8 car trains.

Why and how would they be "smart enough" to handle something that is only a hypothetical situation? They already have a plan in place for a 7th car that will fit within their current and planned future length limitations. While I suspect that they are looking at their future options, I highly doubt that they have come close to setting anything in stone.

Nobody ever walked between subway cars. Not sure, but I recall it was either illegal or highly frowned upon. Torontonians have been trained to not walk between cars.

You must lead a rather sheltered life. Yes, it is forbidden, but it happens not completely infrequently, sometimes by people who are not even employees. The horror!

It still surprises me when I see it on a GO train, maybe every 10th trip I see someone do it, so it is not non-existant, but I do not think the average person would even consider it.

If that surprises you, I can't help but wonder what else does.

Again, as I and others have indicated, people walk from car-to-car on GO trains all the time. It is allowed, and in fact, the most recent cars make it even easier to do.

Based on the platform drawings I was able to find online, 100% of platforms can be extended. I would like if someone could prove me wrong. Of special interest would be the key stations along the Yonge-University Line.

That's some pretty shoddy research.

There is very little space at the platform level that is not used on any given platform. If a platform is extended into an equipment room or ventilation room, that equipment room or ventilation room will have to be built elsewhere. On top of that, you haven't taken into account any curvature or grades at any stations - St. Clair, for instance, will be a huge issue to lengthen any amount as there are curves and grades at either end of the platform.

It would only be one set of doors at the front and/or back of the train. Also, this area would be clearly marked on TTC maps, the platform, and in the car itself as to the fact that the doors only open at select stations (or not at all). I have been on trains with inoperable doors and the train continued all the way to the terminal. Even without advanced warning, people figure it out. If there were any safety requirement about all doors opening, these trains would have been taken from service immediately.

Riiiiiight. People don't read or pay attention to much of what they are told today, and you want to give them even more information to ignore.

I am not sure if this means that the driver currently has full control to operate each set of doors independently, or not. It does not seem to be that hard to implement. I do not think it wise for the train doors to open in the tunnel, but some type of permanently closed screen doors in the tunnel that actually prevent people from exiting the open door. Screen Doors along the platform would be another issue separate from this.

Subway operators on the TRs have the capability of individually controlling which doors open and which don't. It is not done in such a way that they can do it on a station-to-station basis.

My apologies.

I was incorrectly under the impression that the lengths of the individual fixed blocks were a function of the the worst possible stopping distance (accounting for weather, grade, friction, speed, weight, etc...).

It's a bit more complex than that, but for simplicity's sake, they are.

The TTC uses an overlapping fix block system. When a train is occupying a block, the number of blocks behind the train that other trains will not be permitted to enter will be equivalent to the worst possible stopping distance. So for example, let's say part of the line has an arrangement of blocks:
B1 -> B2 -> B3 -> B4 -> B5 -> B6 -> B7 -> B8.

If a train is occupying B8, and under worst possible circumstances it takes 4 blocks for a train to stop, then typically no vehcile will be permitted to enter B4, B5, B6, B7 or B8.

That's the basic jist of it although the truth is a bit more complex than that, because the signal system in the subway uses overlapping blocks to allow for protection and to still allow trains behind to operate closely. To use your diagram, the block guarded by a signal at B1 stretches to B3, the signal at B2 to B4, etc. What you have described is basically how the mainline railways operate, although there is additional logic to allow for the varying lengths of signal blocks.

The other half of the purpose of the signal system is to warn trailing trains about the location of trains ahead of them, which would then in theory cause the driver of the trailing train to slow down. There is now an overlay on the signal system - the Speed Control System (SCS) - which enforces lower speeds in locations with restrictions and at restrictive signals.

So in other words, the number of blocks that a vehcile will not be permitted to enter is a function of the stopping distance under worst possible circumstances.

Correct.

The length of a signal block is approximately the length of the passenger platforms.

Is this correct?

Incorrect. A signal block is approximately 2 passenger platforms. The distance between two signals, however, is about the length of a passenger platform.

Keep in mind that the connection between GO trains is enclosed, though it is separated by a couple of doors. Semi-articulated perhaps?

No. The term articulation indicates that the vehicles share a structural connection, which GO cars (and subway cars, for that matter) do not. It is more correctly termed an enclosed gangway, although the actual covers are called diaphragms.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

With certain exceptions in certain areas, blocks are 2x ~500 feet long with very minor variances for equipment layout and locations. A train that is 510 feet long may cause problems because not every block is the exact same length, and the distance between two regular signals may in fact be shorter than the fixed length of your proposed train.

I will take that as a maybe. There are too many "may"'s and "about"s in your reply.

The key is when the subway was built, the stations would have been built to the most precise dimensions - so I would not doubt that they are exactly 500' (+/- 1/16") like they were supposed to be. The various other tracks may have been marginally longer. Is it 5" longer or 5% longer (which is the 25' needed) - I am not sure. I highlighted these concerns in the first post and was hoping someone had exact information to add some clarity.

If we just assume the TTC is alway 100% right, then I guess I have to accept that the 7th car cannot be done. Just like I have to accept that the Sheppard subway is the #1 priority and the the best way to solve the Scarborough Transit situation is by SRT Mark II, but wait, they changed their minds and its on-street LRT, but wait they changed their minds and its underground LRT (that one was Metrolinx, but I added it anyway), but wait, its subway along McCowan. So I guess I have to accept that the TTC is never wrong.

Back