News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Re: stopping a longer (7-car) subway with the front and back partially in tunnels...

They do this on the Docklands Light Railway in London, England. Certain platforms couldn't be extended so sometimes the doors at the extremities of the trains don't open.

Agreed. I'm a daily GO rider and not a day goes by that I don't see at least a half-dozen to dozen passengers move through the cars, at least.
You see it all the time. It's a passenger walkway and doorway. It's never crossed my mind not to use it, if the car is too crowded, or more frequently the air conditioning isn't working - even when carrying a baby. 100% safe. It never crossed my mind that anyone would have any concerns about doing this!

You see it all the time. It's a passenger walkway and doorway. It's never crossed my mind not to use it, if the car is too crowded, or more frequently the air conditioning isn't working - even when carrying a baby. 100% safe. It never crossed my mind that anyone would have any concerns about doing this!

And they are even retrofitting the doors on old cars to have automatic push buttons to open up, just like the new cars have.

I have heard people ask about the legality of moving between cars before, but theywere clearly first time riders.

Re: stopping a longer (7-car) subway with the front and back partially in tunnels...

They do this on the Docklands Light Railway in London, England. Certain platforms couldn't be extended so sometimes the doors at the extremities of the trains don't open.

And on the Circle Line at 150-year-old Baker Street. The interior of the train is signed to warn passengers.

Excellent. Just change that white to cream and you'd have a fresh take on the classic red and cream colour scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do wish we had painted trains, only the US seems to keep their subways bare like ours
A far cry from the days when the MTA was a huge roving crowdsourced public art project.

6a00d8341c2c8053ef0133f5c15693970b-800wi

...albeit one not supported by transit officials at the time, unless contemporary transit officials decide to legalize "street art" on subway train exteriors (and the "street art" needs to be acceptable to the public as well). There is a huge difference between graffiti and street art. After all, the TTC legalized "street music" to be played during the day and classical music during the dead of night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will take that as a maybe. There are too many "may"'s and "about"s in your reply.

Take it any way you wish. The fact of the matter is that there are too many variables and unknowns about your proposal that without an actual, proper signal diagram of the system and the train that you wish to design - the former of which none of us will ever be able to access, and the latter of which neither of us have done - any answer is suspect anyways.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back in December of 2015, a girl was hit and killed by a bus making a turn at the intersection of Neilson Rd. and Finch Ave E. There is discussions about external cameras on all buses and streetcars to provice visual observations for the driver on the sides. This article is may provide another prevention aid. From this link:

Buses will blare warnings through speakers to alert pedestrians at corners under MTA pilot program

EXCLUSIVE: Buses will release the warning when making turns to alert pedestrians at intersections. The pre-recording safety messages will be played through speakers attached to the exterior of buses. The MTA said it’s too early to say how many buses will be equipped. The program is expected to launch in the fall.

bus31n-4-web.jpg

Stand clear of the turning bus!

Pedestrians at city intersections will receive warnings when a bus is turning — from the bus itself — under a pilot program being developed by the MTA.

The pre-recorded safety messages will be played through speakers mounted on the exteriors of buses in the program, which is expected to be launched in the fall.

Another “collision avoidance” pilot in the works will use radar and sensors to detect — and then alert — bus drivers of pedestrians, bicyclists and motor vehicles in the immediate vicinity, including so-called “blind spots.”

“The MTA works hard to ensure its bus fleet operates safely on the streets of New York ... and we will test new technologies next year to keep improving bus safety,” Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Adam Lisberg said.

The MTA’s bus-collision rate has dropped 46% from 92 collisions per million miles traveled in 1988 to 50 per million miles last year, according to the MTA.

Still, 55 pedestrians and seven bicyclists were killed in collisions with buses, including those operated by private companies, since 2010, according to the city Transportation Department.

The MTA said it was too early to say how many buses will be outfitted with the “talking bus” technology for the pilot program.

Transit agencies in a handful of U.S. cities have either adopted or are testing it, including Los Angeles, Portland and Baltimore. The two leading providers are ProTran, based in Newtown, N.J., and Clever Devices, headquartered in Long Island.

In 2010, ProTran equipped the fleet operated by the greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority.

The authority was averaging six pedestrian fatalities a year before the “Safe Turn Alert” system was installed on 400 buses, according to a CRTA report. There haven’t been any fatalities since then, according to the report.

According to the company website, the system automatically adjusts the volume of the announcements.

The volume rises when the din of traffic is high but drops when the streets are quiet.

There have been 131 pedestrians killed in New York City in all types of traffic accidents this year. That’s the lowest number since 1910 when officials began keeping records.

"As part of the city's Vision Zero initiative, we are working with our partners at the MTA and their bus operators to make our streets safer,” Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg said.

“These new bus pilot programs will help save lives and we are pleased to continue to work with them on Vision Zero as we have done throughout this year."

Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign was skeptical.

“Does this actually work?” he said. “I’m not from Cleveland. You’ll have to show me.”

http://nydn.us/1EH9o2m

Unfortunately, to do a pilot like MTA's on the TTC would cost money, so we can't do that. Also, any pilot on the TTC takes about 15 years or more.

Last edited:
Back in December of 2015, a girl was hit and killed by a bus making a turn at the intersection of Neilson Rd. and Finch Ave E. There is discussions about external cameras on all buses and streetcars to provice visual observations for the driver on the sides. This article is may provide another prevention aid. From this link:

Unfortunately, to do a pilot like MTA's on the TTC would cost money, so we can't do that. Also, any pilot on the TTC takes about 15 years or more.
Unless buses became completely covered in advertising, but many people don't like that (including myself).

Back