News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think that the penny-pinchers, who cut-cut-cut, had some contribution to this morning's problems. Bombardier had an option called MITRAC which allows the storage of electricity over areas of power outages. See link.

If both Toronto Rocket and the Bombardier Outlook streetcars had MITRAC, it would have been of some help. Thank the penny-pinchers.

It still doesnt address the fundamental problem which is the fact that our city grid is completely obsolete to the conditions we have now. What really needs to be done is to separate all the services to its own power stations and have a backup system in place to at least have power to maintain critical systems.

I don't think you (K. W. Lis) quite understand how big of a scope that would have been (and how expensive) to include a system like that on all trains (Subway + Streetcar), in the off-chance that there might be an outage and you need to limp to the next station.

Weigh your choices: Inconvenience for half a day, once every 5 years - or add 30% the cost again to every transit vehicle you own, plus the maintenance of a whole extra subsystem. I don't think it's worth it, in Toronto's particular situation.

I don't think you (K. W. Lis) quite understand how big of a scope that would have been (and how expensive) to include a system like that on all trains (Subway + Streetcar), in the off-chance that there might be an outage and you need to limp to the next station.

Weigh your choices: Inconvenience for half a day, once every 5 years - or add 30% the cost again to every transit vehicle you own, plus the maintenance of a whole extra subsystem. I don't think it's worth it, in Toronto's particular situation.

Right. Doubling the maintenance costs of the subway (hundreds of millions per year) to halve failure rates seems silly.

The clear and obvious solution is to build additional capacity (we can use it on days the normal subway is running too!) using different connections. 4 lines of 10 minute peak RER frequencies, and some kind of fare integration, would go a long way to reducing the risk of a single line outage. A DRL on top of that goes even further.

Lets NOT stop all expansion work to double-down on Yonge yet again. Per-line redundancies can be considered during normal maintenance BUT what we really need is a set of wholly independent lines.

And really, was it that terrible this morning? Subway still got people down University. Most stuff was walkable - the ones who had it worse would be someone working near Spadina and living near Broadview. I started hoofing it down Broadview, and a 504 bus quickly came and moved me along.

It's not like the Yonge line was out from Bloor to Eglinton.

I've walked from King to Bloor (including winter) during my lunch hour when I worked downtown. I've walked from Yonge to Spadina, as well. There was still the University leg available. Such cry babies, especially the ones who don't listen to the morning news and dress for the weather.

Reactions: rbt
We might not always agree with Royson James on transit or city politics, but he's a great writer and he does go to the heart of the matter in a way that no other city beat columnist does in this town.

And I for one believe that the SSE could still be killed entirely if enough sensible people continue to point out its contradictions. When it's just Glenn de Baeremaker and his rotating bow tie on Tory's side, we'll see how much longer he sticks to this awful plan.

We might not always agree with Royson James on transit or city politics, but he's a great writer and he does go to the heart of the matter in a way that no other city beat columnist does in this town.

And I for one believe that the SSE could still be killed entirely if enough sensible people continue to point out its contradictions. When it's just Glenn de Baeremaker and his rotating bow tie on Tory's side, we'll see how much longer he sticks to this awful plan.

Going back and fighting SSE again instead of getting RL on the agenda and built might be fighting the wrong battle at this point though.

AoD

There has been a lot of road repair and construction in the south curb lane on that stretch of Richmond in the last couple of years. A lot of construction vehicles and equipment on those sidewalks. Not to mention the commencement of construction at Yonge + Rich next door - have dump trucks been lining up along Richmond to take away the rubble and earth piled on the site?

The cause is one thing - the question remains as to why a good chunk of the power supply for pretty much all transit lines in the core is routed through it.

AoD

Back