News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Goodbye, Line 3 Scarborough RT. TTC invites public to farewell a Scarborough icon

September 21, 2023

The TTC is inviting the public to celebrate the end of a transit era, and say farewell to the Line 3 Scarborough RT (SRT) at a special event filled with fun, memorabilia and special guests at Scarborough Centre Station this Saturday.

Visitors will have the final opportunity to step on board one of the iconic blue SRT trains, which served millions of Scarborough residents and visitors for 38 years with automated rail cars and pioneering linear-induction propulsion technology.

“This is a difficult farewell for all those who relied on the Scarborough RT,” said Mayor Olivia Chow. “Like so many people in Toronto, I have fond memories of riding the iconic blue trains, high above the ground with panoramic views of Scarborough. Although its journey did not end the way had hoped, this farewell event is a wonderful opportunity to pay tribute to the rapid transit line that served Scarborough so well for 38 years. I look forward to joining on Saturday to say farewell to the SRT, and working to provide Scarborough residents the reliable and convenient transit they deserve.”

“While the July derailment is not how we expected to see the SRT go after 38 years of service, it is deserving of a fitting send-off,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “I am grateful to the TTC team for putting on this event so those of us with memories of the SRT can come out to say goodbye. Our focus must now be to continuously improve the Line 3 bus replacement service, ensuring that the people of Scarborough have a reliable, comfortable and frequent TTC service.”

“This is a celebration of the vibrant Scarborough community and the role the TTC has played in keeping its residents and visitors connected,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “This is also a celebration of our employees who worked so hard to keep the SRT running long past its anticipated retirement. Together with the City of Toronto, the TTC is working hard to ensure Scarborough residents and visitors have a frequent, high-capacity bus replacement service to get them to and from the places they need to go safely.”

Saturday’s celebration promises to be a fun, nostalgic event that transports visitors back to 1985 when the SRT began operations. The day will feature two static SRT trains on the station platforms, memorabilia, music, local artists and a marketplace with Scarborough artisans.

The event will also raise money for the United Way, with a silent auction featuring authentic SRT parts and exclusive merchandise.

When: Sat., Sept. 23
Where: Scarborough Centre Station
Time: 11:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Weekend travel advice and upcoming subway closures

September 21, 2023

Extended subway service for Nuit Blanche

The TTC is extending subway service on Lines 1 and 2 all night this weekend to help customers travel around the city and view Nuit Blanche exhibits with ease.

Service on Lines 1 and 2 will be extending on Sun., Sept. 24 from 1:30 a.m. – 8 a.m., when regularly scheduled service resumes. During the extended hours, subway service will operate approximately every 15 minutes. Line 3 Scarborough replacement buses will also extend operations through the night, while night buses and streetcars will operate as usual. In addition, there are no scheduled subway closures this weekend.

Some routes will also be diverting to accommodate road closures for Nuit Blanche festivities, including the following:

•19 Bay
•72B Pape
•121 Esplanade – River
•202 Cherry
•501 Queen

Other weekend events

Just For Laughs Street Festival

Customers attending the Just For Laughs Street Festival can take the subway, Line 1 Yonge-University, to Union Station. Until 6 a.m. on Mon., Sept. 25, 121 Esplanade buses are diverting to accommodate road closures on Front. St. E. between Yonge and Church streets.

RBC Race for the Kids

Those attending the RBC Race for the Kids at Mel Lastman Square can take the subway, Line 1 Yonge-University, to North York Centre Station, or a 97 Yonge bus. There will be lane restrictions in place on Sat., Sept. 23 between 5:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., impacting the following routes:

•36 Finch Avenue West
•42 Cummer
•53 / 953 Steeles Avenue East
•60 / 960 Steeles Avenue West
•97 Yonge
•125 Drewry Avenue
•320 Yonge Night Bus

Route updates and road closures

501D Queen and 505 Dundas

Starting Sat. Sept. 23, a new 501D Queen bus service will begin operating between Neville Park Loop and Church St.

Also from Saturday, 505 Dundas streetcars will begin routing both ways, along Gerrard St. E., Coxwell Ave., and Queen St. E. to Kingston Loop.

Finch West LRT construction

From 9 p.m. Fri., Sept. 22 – 5 a.m. Mon., Sept. 25, lane restrictions will impact the following services:

•36 Finch West and 336 Finch West Night Bus eastbound service on Finch Ave. W. will divert between Islington Ave. and Signet Dr.

•165 Weston Road North will divert both ways from Weston Rd. between Sheppard Ave. W. and Fenmar Dr.

Toronto Water road closure

Starting 7 p.m. Sat., Sept. 22 until Dec. 31, there will be traffic restrictions in place at Parkview Hills Cr. and Aspen Ave., due to work by Toronto Water. 93 Parkview Hills buses will divert during these works.

Ontario Line construction on De Grassi Street bridge

From 1 a.m. on Sun., Sept. 24 until 5 a.m. Mon., Sept. 25, the following TTC services will divert to accommodate Metrolinx construction of the Ontario Line on De Grassi Street bridge:

•72A Pape buses will not serve stops on Queen St. E. between Broadview and Carlaw avenues, or on Carlaw Ave. between Queen St. E. and Dundas St. E.
•501 Queen and 503 Kingston Road replacement buses will not serve stops on Queen St. E. between Broadview and Carlaw avenues.

Early subway closures Monday – Thursday

Mon., Sept. 25, through Thurs., Sept. 28, subway service on the portion of Line 1 Yonge-University between St Clair West and Sheppard West stations, will end nightly at 11 p.m. due to track work.

Shuttle buses will run, stopping at each station along the route. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding and offloading locations.
Yorkdale and Glencairn stations will be closed during this time. All other subway stations will remain open for customers to load PRESTO cards, purchase PRESTO tickets and connect to surface routes.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend and early weeknight closures to complete critical infrastructure and state-of-good-repair work.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service and about alternate routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on X (formerly Twitter) or sign up for eAlerts.

Wasn't ATC supposed to prevent or reduce signals problems?
Seems to be less signals problems to me.

I'm not sure they've even finished the final phase of Line 1 - and they are still dotting the 't's and crossing the 'i's. Presumably things will improve a bit further as they all get more used to it.

ATC doesn't prevent parts of automobiles falling on the tracks. I'm not sure what else there's been on Line 1 recently, other than today's issue.

Looking at the agenda for next week's TTC meeting, the Financial update and Major Projects report contains some tidbits of interest.

Off the top, we have a large scale upstaffing of stations. I'm uncertain on the value of this, is this just more warm bodies or is there a purpose, utility and duty set that needs carrying out?

The ratio of supervisors to front line staff seem problematic at roughly 4 to 1.

View attachment 507740

Hmmm RIDETO sorta/kinda lives:

View attachment 507741

Line 1 Capacity Expansion Update
View attachment 507742

I'm skipping items I think are of somewhat lower interest as its a big report.
View attachment 507743
View attachment 507744
View attachment 507745
View attachment 507746
View attachment 507747

I'll cross-post the Yonge-Bloor stuff to the applicable thread, lots of other items of interest if you follow the link.
The TMSF is interesting, the only site that jumps out at me as feasible is south of Langstaff GO.

Cool. Now I hope they can fix the boarded up windows/doors, and the general filth / shabbiness. Unless the pigeons have finished cleaning it up, I wouldn't be surprised if the scattered meal of fries etc. that I saw this morning is still there on my way home. This station has taken a significant turn for the worse over the last year or so.

Yes I was there, it was nice to see it one last time. New rapid transit lines opening happens all the time, but its not everyday a rapid transit line closes; really feels like a once in a life-time experience.
It’s such a dumb choice imo if only someone pushed it through in 2006 though the Kennedy track had to be rebuilt too.

I forgot chow was mayor I thought whose this random old lady talking 😂

Shame this was not found sooner. They could have kept it in service more than likely
I would suspect the move to close the line was a PR thing as much as it was a move to divest themselves of a dubious asset ahead of time. I'm sure there would be many people of the public who would fear to step on the line again because "if it happened once, why couldn't it happen again?"

As well, with 3000-3001 gone, that would mean they would be down 4 full pairs of cars, and continuing to run the service could've posed a challenge.

I would suspect the move to close the line was a PR thing as much as it was a move to divest themselves of a dubious asset ahead of time. I'm sure there would be many people of the public who would fear to step on the line again because "if it happened once, why couldn't it happen again?"

As well, with 3000-3001 gone, that would mean they would be down 4 full pairs of cars, and continuing to run the service could've posed a challenge.
Really? I noticed most days a lot of cars were parked in the yard. It's a shame the original cars were the ones broken. No chance of them heading off to a museum imo

Really? I noticed most days a lot of cars were parked in the yard. It's a shame the original cars were the ones broken. No chance of them heading off to a museum imo
There were 28 cars built, so 7 full trains were available. With 4 pairs gone (one was reported as being retired in early July), they would only have 6 available trains, and the rush hour periods ran with 5. If there was a break down, and any of the cars in the last train left behind were in the shop, they would be SOL. I seem to recall there were a few days in winters past where they weren't able to make full service, and that was before anything had actually retired.

I also think it's a shame that the original pair was the one that ate it. They were the first built, last to run in the kinder egg colours of old, and the ones that sank the service. Too much significance for one pair!

Back