News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

TTM:

Compass points interferes with direction arrows - the importance of which is paramount in signage. Drop ASAP! In this case - the up arrow doesn't communicate useful info (unless you have a multi-level platform). In this case - you might even be able to get away by dropping additional stuff into something like:

<header: direction arrow> <space> <elevator logo> <very little space> Elevator <space> Northbound Platform <space> <line colour: footer>

Direction should be at one end of signage - and line colour at the other. Logo should be right next to the word it implies (if not directly below the logo, at a smaller font size).

re: Case 2

I don't think it would - so long as one keeps additional info to minimum. All you will get is

<current station> <space> <direction> to <next station> <line colour: footer>

AoD

Last edited:
car4041:

I have thought about the terminus issue - maybe using next station along with direction might be better.

AoD

Last edited:
Has the TTC considered selling the names of stations to raise money to improve customer service. I think that selling names of the stations so they become something like "Dundas-Eaton Centre" and "St. George - University of Toronto" would be a great idea.

Yes, they have considered it. It got quite a bit of press a while back (example).

I think the main concern is with people who doesn't understand English - but N-S/E-W is pretty much universal, and most can identify station names - it's redundant enough to cover most of the population.

AoD

I have thought about the terminus issue - maybe using next station might be better.

Even then it can be confusing -- that's the strategy they use on the Sheppard line, e.g. at Bessarion the signs say "Eastbound to Leslie", but that can be misunderstood as implying that the train only goes to Leslie (since trains normally go "to" a teminus; really, it's going "via" Leslie).

The current platform wall signs are the clearest, e.g. Northbound to Downsview / Next station Dupont, but that's too much to put on all the signage...

I think the main concern is with people who doesn't understand English - but N-S/E-W is pretty much universal, and most can identify station names - it's redundant enough to cover most of the population.

AoD

I agree. Though it would be good to make the signs as accessible as possible, we can't alway cant cater to the 0.01% of the population who can't understand the signs.

Hey all,

Just read through the discussion. An interesting issue to deal with indeed. I've been interested in the whole TTC branding for a while. I had put together a sample redesign of some of the elements that the TTC needs help in for my Masters degree portfolio. You can view it here: http://bfdesign.ca/samples/TTC_Brand_Concept.pdf … these aren't final designs and having completed it last year, there are changes that I would make to it now. I agree that the signage needs to be fixed asap, and I think it should be one of their top priorities. It's one of the most visible parts of the entire network and for Torontonians and tourists alike it's a disaster to figure out the system. It also shows confidence and pride in a system which goes a long way to improving customer service.

Living in London now I appreciate good signage on a whole new level. The Underground is a complex maze of tunnels and tubes and it's actually quite easy to make your way around it thanks to the signage.

Anyway, I'd write more, but I'm tired and I have to get back to my studies. :)

Keep pushing the TTC for this - it needs to happen! Right after we get those LRT's confirmed … again.

Hi All,

Some good thoughtful comments in here and since I'm mentioned it gives me the opportunity to respond.

[...]

TTCchris, welcome to Urban Toronto!

I hope you can continue to offer thoughtful responses to TTC-related issues and inquiries.

Hey all,

Just read through the discussion. An interesting issue to deal with indeed. I've been interested in the whole TTC branding for a while. I had put together a sample redesign of some of the elements that the TTC needs help in for my Masters degree portfolio. You can view it here: http://bfdesign.ca/samples/TTC_Brand_Concept.pdf … these aren't final designs and having completed it last year, there are changes that I would make to it now. I agree that the signage needs to be fixed asap, and I think it should be one of their top priorities. It's one of the most visible parts of the entire network and for Torontonians and tourists alike it's a disaster to figure out the system. It also shows confidence and pride in a system which goes a long way to improving customer service.

Living in London now I appreciate good signage on a whole new level. The Underground is a complex maze of tunnels and tubes and it's actually quite easy to make your way around it thanks to the signage.

Anyway, I'd write more, but I'm tired and I have to get back to my studies. :)

Keep pushing the TTC for this - it needs to happen! Right after we get those LRT's confirmed … again.

I'm in love with the design of the new logo. You've done amazing work to say the least. Have you contacted anyone at the TTC about your work? I would love if this got the attention of the TTC.

Just incase you want it, here is the twitter of Chris Upfold. He is the Chief Customer Service Officer of the TTC. @TTCchris

I'm in love with the design of the new logo. You've done amazing work to say the least. Have you contacted anyone at the TTC about your work? I would love if this got the attention of the TTC.

Just incase you want it, here is the twitter of Chris Upfold. He is the Chief Customer Service Officer of the TTC. @TTCchris

Uh, it may make for a good thesis concept, but I'd urge caution about actually *enacting* a new logo. As with ferris wheels and monorails, it may be over-earnestly running-ahead-of-yourself in practice...

Uh, it may make for a good thesis concept, but I'd urge caution about actually *enacting* a new logo. As with ferris wheels and monorails, it may be over-earnestly running-ahead-of-yourself in practice...

I think that spending hundreds of millions of dollars on ferris wheels and slightly modifying the TTC logo are two completely different things. I honestly don't think people would care that much.

169qghv.jpg

Several orders of magnitude better than what I drew.

I agree. Many people are attached to the logo, some like the TTC font, and nobody likes the inconsistency or the lack of clarity in the signage. A design that respects that has a much greater chance of success. The whole branding TTCchris's post refers to could occur minus the logo change and not get much pushback. The logo proposed is almost the same shape as the existing one so filling in the existing TTC lettering to replace it with an exclamation point for alerts can still be accomplished. Going beyond that the current logo lends itself to colouring it and placing a number or letter in it to identify a route, putting a symbol in it to identify a station, or stylizing it to place a line through it with a station name as done on maps. There is no lack of flexibility with the current logo, nor any issues to be solved in changing it. The TTC doesn't make significant amounts of money on branded goods so changing the logo like the Toronto Blue Jays doesn't really do anything of value. The ridership is at record numbers, the vehicles are packed.

Back