News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

When the new Bramalea City Centre bus terminal was built a few years ago, the Central Park/Peel Drive intersection where buses come out from got a priority signal. It only activates when buses are in the special lane, but it activates before any of the other signals (these buses are either turning light or going straight). It also uses the standard transit signal light (the white vertical line).

City Council wants to put a subway under McCowan Road while forcing the Sheppard crowd to transfer at Don Mills, even though Sheppard has more development than McCowan. Presumably quite a few of the people buying condos at McCowan and Ellesmere work in Markham and are driving to work.

Sheppard has more development than McCowan, but the McCowan subway will be used by a larger number of riders who come from feeder buses and want to travel south-west to downtown, rather than north-west to North York.

Those two goals, making trips more convenient for existing riders and enabling transit for future riders, are both worthy but sometimes are in conflict. I guess the City Council sided with existing riders because they happen to be existing voters. Future riders, almost by definition, do not form a distinct voting block at present.

Sheppard has more development than McCowan, but the McCowan subway will be used by a larger number of riders who come from feeder buses and want to travel south-west to downtown, rather than north-west to North York.

Those two goals, making trips more convenient for existing riders and enabling transit for future riders, are both worthy but sometimes are in conflict. I guess the City Council sided with existing riders because they happen to be existing voters. Future riders, almost by definition, do not form a distinct voting block at present.

Plus there's a transfer at sheppard-yonge whether the line is completed or not.

[video=youtube;70tUBKe5uRg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70tUBKe5uRg[/video]

Here's video for those of us that wish to see the signal priority in action. I'm concerned that the busses aren't given greens fast enough. It looks like the driver had to slow down for a few times while waiting for the lights to change. Also the left turns being given priority over the busses seems like a bad idea. Left turns should proceed after the busses pass. The implementation is okay, but I've seen better.

That's my video. :)

There are other short subway lines in the world.

Maybe the TTC should label the Sheppard Subway as S, since it would end up to be a shuttle between the Yonge Subway and the Sheppard East LRT and the Don Mills LRT.

But those short lines go from somewhere to somewhere, and relieving the existing lines around it to get straight from one destination to the other.

But those short lines go from somewhere to somewhere, and relieving the existing lines around it to get straight from one destination to the other.

Likewise, Sheppard subway may eventually serve as a shortcut between 4 heavy-rail lines running north to south: US subway, Yonge subway, RH GO line, and Don Mills subway. In that configuration, Sheppard subway will be quite useful even if its ridership counts remain well below Yonge.

The important part is not to rush Sheppard subway, but focus on N-S heavy rail lines plus LRTs where they make sense.

Likewise, Sheppard subway may eventually serve as a shortcut between 4 heavy-rail lines running north to south: US subway, Yonge subway, RH GO line, and Don Mills subway. In that configuration, Sheppard subway will be quite useful even if its ridership counts remain well below Yonge.

The important part is not to rush Sheppard subway, but focus on N-S heavy rail lines plus LRTs where they make sense.

How can GO Transit connect with the Sheppard Subway when the Oriole GO Station is south of the 401 on Leslie Street and the Leslie Subway Station is north of the 401. If they were next door to each other than the Sheppard could actually become a shuttle for GO train passengers to get to Yonge & Sheppard.

How can GO Transit connect with the Sheppard Subway when the Oriole GO Station is south of the 401 on Leslie Street and the Leslie Subway Station is north of the 401. If they were next door to each other than the Sheppard could actually become a shuttle for GO train passengers to get to Yonge & Sheppard.
It's a bit of exageration. There's almost as much of the Oriole platform north of the 401 than south. The length of the GO platform is only a bit shorter than the length from the north end of GO platform to the subway station. The newish pathway from the platform is station entrance of Esther Shiner Blvd is only about 180 metres. From here it's only 250 metres to Leslie station. About 430 metres total (about a 4-minutes walk) - compare to 310 metre length of a GO platform.

A bit of a hike ... but I've walked further distances underground changing line in Paris metro stations. Though I don't know why they don't simply slide the existing platform 150 metres further north - the south end would then be near the parking and the overpass to Woodsworth, and the north end would be at Esther Shiner.

About 430 metres total (about a 4-minutes walk) - compare to 310 metre length of a GO platform.

A bit of a hike ...

It sounds reasonable when you put it that way, though 4 minutes would be for the fastest of walkers. Yet a - what, 30 second? - transfer at Kennedy killed the Scarborough LRT and necessitated an extra billion for a subway.

I still think the station is in a less than ideal spot. Poor local transit connections, and the entire area to one side of the station is a rail yard. Park Lawn has a far greater ridership potential, and will be even greater when the Mr. Christie property is redeveloped, likely for condos.

And of course local residents are going to object. Problem is, there aren't very many of them that actually use that station. I don't have the numbers, but every time I've taken a Lakeshore West, Mimico is probably the lowest ridership station on the route. Moving the station to somewhere where a decent amount of people actually are could help that.

Just move the Oriole station.
Not so much move ... just slide it north a bit. If the platform ended at the subway station, it would still overlap with the existing platform a bit. Probably the best solution is to slide it a bit further north, so it starts at the northern edge of the 401. Then it's a short walk to the subway, and still near the parking at the other end. People who drive will get on one end of the train, and people going to the suwbay will get on the other, and everyone will be happy. The very few how use the footpath to Woodsworth get a bit more exercise.

(I bet more people now use that Woodsworth access to Oriole to walk to Leslie station than anything else ... as it's now only an 800-metre 9-minute walk to Leslie station from Woodsworth Road compared to the 1.9 km 20-minute walk before they opened the pathway from Oriole to Esther Shiner). Or to walk to Ikea. About 10 minutes through Oriole station compared to 25-minutes otherwise.

What I never got about Oriole station is why they didn't build a simple pathway off the south end of the platform to the sidewalk on the west side of Leslie Street south of the Lesmill/Leslie/401 ramp intersection.

Last edited:

Back