News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Construction that goes on 24/7 and open for all to see and, especially, to hear, is not possible here in Toronto. Here they even put protect around the trees.

Embark%20Services%20Tree%20Preservation.jpg

In China, they'll just chop them down and plant new seedlings afterwards.

Construction that goes on 24/7 and open for all to see and, especially, to hear, is not possible here in Toronto. Here they even put protect around the trees.

Embark%20Services%20Tree%20Preservation.jpg

Nah. There won't be trees there in the first place and won't be put in afterwards. Too many pedestrians. At least they have dedicated separated scooter/bike lanes.

Nah. There won't be trees there in the first place and won't be put in afterwards. Too many pedestrians. At least they have dedicated separated scooter/bike lanes.

You would be surprised at the number of trees and the care that they are taken care of. Most of the CBD in China are fairly new so there are very large sidewalks and lots of greenery. If you compare it to the financial district here there is probably more greenery. Shanghai and Beijing are a bit less so compared to Shenzhen, Chengdu, Guangzhou, etc

But even in Shanghai there is a row or two of trees between most new office towers and the street.

If you ask most people they would be willing to accept 24/7 for one week vs a year of torturous sound.

You would be surprised at the number of trees and the care that they are taken care of. Most of the CBD in China are fairly new so there are very large sidewalks and lots of greenery. If you compare it to the financial district here there is probably more greenery. Shanghai and Beijing are a bit less so compared to Shenzhen, Chengdu, Guangzhou, etc

But even in Shanghai there is a row or two of trees between most new office towers and the street.

If you ask most people they would be willing to accept 24/7 for one week vs a year of torturous sound.

In other words, they are not building their subways next to sprawling single-story bungalows or wide empty asphalt parking lots? They're building high density or, at minimum, a medium density "suburb".

They will tell you absolutely not 24/7, then go to the press to try and force the issue. We go through this every once in a while (TBMs vibrating houses at night, etc.).

We've even seen schedules massively drawn out on projects like West Toronto Diamond due to public demand; and as you'll recall they still had to pound the piles most days as the vibrating mechanism only worked for part of the job.

I'm not sure I've ever seen the public demand 24/7 construction in an effort to reduce noise.

I was fortunate enough to be in China and saw a truly professional cut and cover process. Through a CBD so there were lots of wires/pipes.

They followed the Auckland process. However, they closed down the entire block for 1 week (it was a 4 lane road). By the end of the week the block was re-opened and they were onto the next block.

They worked 24/7 and got it done. Was an impressive process (I was looking over it from my hotel). I wish we could hire these construction managers to coordinate our subways.

With cut and cover I don't see why the stations would take more time. They have to make the hole wider (and add an extra "box" above the line for the mezzanine but other than the station entrances the rest of the work can be underground/sidewalk disruption.
I'll have to get more info on this. That is what I always imagined, sort of a rolling closure, not a 2km long open trench that is filled in after.
Maybe we can work 12 hour days and have each block closed for 2 weeks.

Been to shanghai and the downtown office buildings felt like torontos suburban apartment in a park fetish. That isn't a good thing and It seemed most people there preferred old shanghai vs the new side.

Have you actually been to China? Seems like you're describing somewhere else.

why can the DRL go elevated right after crossing the Don Valley?

Given what's on Don Mills Rd, I don't see why we can't dedicate the entire western side (100% commercial until north of York Mills) to elevated guideways.

The guideways can switch over to the centre of the road north of York Mills and eventually descent under ground to meet up with the existing Sheppard line. TBH I think they should just connect to the end of the Shepard line and make line 4 a backward C.

why can the DRL go elevated right after crossing the Don Valley?

Given what's on Don Mills Rd, I don't see why we can't dedicate the entire western side (100% commercial until north of York Mills) to elevated guideways.

The guideways can switch over to the centre of the road north of York Mills and eventually descent under ground to meet up with the existing Sheppard line. TBH I think they should just connect to the end of the Shepard line and make line 4 a backward C.

It probably couldn't be elevated til north of Bond Ave.

There's too many adjacent residential areas to Don Mills south of that point. You also have two elevated rail corridor crossings you'd have to weave the DRL though, which I'd imagine would be complicated, plus the hydro corridor through Flemingdon Park where tunneling may be preferred as not to interfere with the utility's air rights. Furthermore, the Crosstown station is below-grade through this section specifically to have an interchange with the future DRL station, which also is intended to be below-grade.

Thus, it may not be worth it not to tunnel underneath the Don Mills corridor south of Bond when all things are considered.

I was fortunate enough to be in China and saw a truly professional cut and cover process. Through a CBD so there were lots of wires/pipes.

They followed the Auckland process. However, they closed down the entire block for 1 week (it was a 4 lane road). By the end of the week the block was re-opened and they were onto the next block.

They worked 24/7 and got it done. Was an impressive process (I was looking over it from my hotel). I wish we could hire these construction managers to coordinate our subways.

With cut and cover I don't see why the stations would take more time. They have to make the hole wider (and add an extra "box" above the line for the mezzanine but other than the station entrances the rest of the work can be underground/sidewalk disruption.
I've tried to find additional information on this - but no luck. Would you have a link, or some additional information so that I can learn more about this.

Promises are empty. We need shovels in the ground... now, like yesterday. No sense any party deserve our votes if all they do is talk.
How can you have shovels in the ground without promises. I guess you can take the promises and design of the previous party, and put shovels in the ground and immediately promise. Of course this would require the party to have power before they are in power. Is this possible? Personally financed?

Back