News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Gasoline taxes do NOT pay for residential roads, Gardiner Expressway, nor the Don Valley Parkway. Property taxes pay for that. Gasoline taxes ONLY pay for the provincial highways such as the 401, 400, and the QEW.
I meant taxes as in propety tax, did't say anything regards to gasoline tax in my post; I apologize if that's misled you. :) But I agree, drivers are already paying gasoline taxes for their provincial highways, and residents (drivers, transit users, etc.) are paying propety taxes for their municipal roadways and sidewalks.

Last edited:
With the private sector done right, Sheppard East could look like this looking westbound to Yonge & Sheppard in the background.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thepretender/2276358409

2276358409_bfe629dc71_b.jpg

^ Toronto's version: 5-6 storeys condos, with shoesbox-sized retail units. It's really difficult to recreate the sort of vibrant streetscape in that photo. For one, you don't see condos/apartment buildings being built right beside each other (with no gaps in between) in Toronto anymore.

11th:

Well, the private sector definitely won't pony up $$ to build something of that scale - Sheppard certainly didn't adopt that as the model.

AoD

^ Toronto's version: 5-6 storeys condos, with shoesbox-sized retail units. It's really difficult to recreate the sort of vibrant streetscape in that photo. For one, you don't see condos/apartment buildings being built right beside each other (with no gaps in between) in Toronto anymore.

Chain or franchise retail stores of course. Stores that look or are the same elsewhere. No place for independent stores, leasing only, no owner-owned properties.

Well, the private sector definitely won't pony up $$ to build something of that scale - Sheppard certainly didn't adopt that as the model.
You mean to say that Caterpillar - who are making the TBMs for Sheppard and Eglinton - aren't lining up to provide free TBMs for Sheppard? I'm shocked!

Chain or franchise retail stores of course. Stores that look or are the same elsewhere. No place for independent stores, leasing only, no owner-owned properties.

That's been the trend for any new developments. Developers usually buy up a whole block and lease different stores at the bottom. Unlike the old setup where each individual commercial lot next to each other is owned separately. When it comes to building new residential streets all the townhouses are the same on it.

I like that Chong's report mentions the lack of a vote on Transit City by Miller & Co.

Still reading though.

EDIT:

top three reasons why Torontonians do not use transit were as follows: 1. “transit too slow/transit too long”; 2. “car faster”; 3. “poor connections/wait too long”

And yet people come on this board and say that speed doesn't matter....how deluded...

EDIT 2:

TTIL is recommending that Council:
Policy
1. Re-confirm completion of the Sheppard subway linking Downsview to Scarborough Centre, as was approved in 1986 as part of the Major Centres Plan, and continues to be approved City policy.
2. Commit to a two-phased approach for construction and completion of the Sheppard subway as outlined in previous policy directives.
a. Phase I: Don Mills to Scarborough Centre
b. Phase II: Yonge to Downsview

EDIT 3:

In Section 3.1.5

The 2008 “streamlined” Environment Assessment for the Sheppard LRT of the 2007 Transit City plan summarily rejected a subway option in one paragraph with no supporting documentation. Only one other option, Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), was considered by the 2008 Environmental Assessment. This was rejected in favour of LRT in less than one page with little detailed discussion.

There was no reference in the 2008 EA to the extremely detailed findings and strikingly different conclusions of the prior 1992 Environmental Assessment. Thirty years of planning for the Sheppard Subway and examination of a comprehensive set of transportation, social, environmental, land use and economic factors were simply ignored. A summary comparison of the findings of the two studies is provided in the table below.

Last edited:
And yet people come on this board and say that speed doesn't matter....how deluded...

How deluded to think that local transit (TTC) next to the 401 would ever change opinions on "car faster". Only regional transit (GO) has a chance at running speeds even remotely equivalent to a car on a freeway. How deluded to think local transit could change opinions on "transit too long" for trips that are longer than 15km. I would think that asking most people taking local transit more than 15km and they will agree it is too long but they are still there because the alternatives are more expensive or the trip is gridlock. It takes too long to go from downtown to Downsview in my opinion, and that is a subway.

I like that Chong's report mentions the lack of a vote on Transit City by Miller & Co.

Still reading though.

EDIT:

EDIT 2:

EDIT 3:

In Section 3.1.5

First off, why are you taking anything that Gordon Chong writes seriously? He was a waste of breath at GO, and it's nice to see things haven't changed much since then.

Second, if speed really did matter so much, why has ridership on many routes that are not subway lines increased by double-digit percentage rates since 2002?

There's no question that it does matter, but not nearly as much as many give it credit for. Convenience and comfort - moreso the former than the latter - have way, way more to do with how well a service will be used in this City. The ridership trends of the past 9 or 10 years show that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

top three reasons why Torontonians do not use transit were as follows: 1. “transit too slow/transit too longâ€; 2. “car fasterâ€; 3. “poor connections/wait too longâ€

The people that have these complaints are not likely to use public transit anyways. How do you compare a mode of transportation where you are in complete control, to one that you are not?

Back