News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I like ideas like this. Seriously, someone who knows about this stuff please explain. Why can't the TTC have its own train that would run Kennedy to Union or Oriole to Union in between GO trains. Create separate platforms (even underground if necessary) and better integrate them to Kennedy St and Leslie St. If necessary even create a new platform just off of union station but connect it to PATH somehow.

The enemy of progress and finally entering the 21st century is named : TTC GM Webster

If Eglinton is effective, then it might reduce the effectiveness of an eastern DRL. If I'm coming from STC and heading downtown, why would I transfer at Kennedy and transfer at Pape, when I can get on the Scarborough-Eglinton LRT and transfer at Yonge? It's one less transfer. There might be a difference in time travelled. But will it be enough to convince people to transfer twice?

That would end up being a Bloor/Danforth relief line and still dumping people onto the Yonge line to get downtown and have 2 bottleneck stations on it unlike the one there is now. It would further necessitate their being a DRL with this new line.

If Eglinton is effective, then it might reduce the effectiveness of an eastern DRL. If I'm coming from STC and heading downtown, why would I transfer at Kennedy and transfer at Pape, when I can get on the Scarborough-Eglinton LRT and transfer at Yonge? It's one less transfer.

There might be a difference in time travelled. But will it be enough to convince people to transfer twice?

Ditto for anybody near the Eglinton LRT or bussing south towards Eglinton. Why would they go all the way to Danforth? That longer bus ride and extra transfer might not be worth the hassle. They might just get off at Eglinton and take the LRT and transfer at Yonge.

That's correct, assuming that Phase I of DRL goes only as far north as Danforth.

But if DRL reaches Eglinton / Don Mills in Phase II, a lot of riders would switch from Yonge to DRL.

That's correct, assuming that Phase I of DRL goes only as far north as Danforth.

But if DRL reaches Eglinton / Don Mills in Phase II, a lot of riders would switch from Yonge to DRL.

the goal should be to build the drl in three parts.

one - king/queen to pape
two - pape to eglinton
three - eglinton to sheppard

one - king/queen to pape
two - pape to eglinton

Yes, that makes sense.

The hardest part is to get Phase I funded. After it is built, the rationale for extension at least to Eglinton would be pretty strong.

Yes, that makes sense.

The hardest part is to get Phase I funded. After it is built, the rationale for extension at least to Eglinton would be pretty strong.

by the time it gets extended to eglinton the rationale for extension to Sheppard would be pretty strong.

one - king/queen to pape
two - pape to eglinton

Yes, but where are these trains going to spend the night? The location of the carhouse would need to be decided before any of these phases becomes operational. Options:
1) Establish a new yard S-W of Kipling for BD trains. This frees up space in Greenwood for DRL trains.
2) Double the size of the Wilson yard and build Shepherd west to Downsview, then build DRL south from Shepherd

I would recommend 1 so DRL south could be the first. But I would still do 2 eventually.

To support or dismay some, I think an alignment on Victoria Park for a DRL would suit a present and near future (15-50 years) Toronto.

I do agree with running the east-west portion under Queen East (at the moment); Ashbridges Bay is already set up for housing trams in the future and there's a lost of room on the length of Vic Park.

JM2CW

I could conceivably see a yard for a DRL somewhere in the Gatineau Hydro Corridor in Leaside, but that would mean placing Eglinton in the first phase.

Although, if vehicles were standard gauge with Catenary, the yard could be put pretty much anywhere. IIRC, GO already owns the rail spur from Leaside to Union.

[EDIT] A more likely scenario would be somewhere east of the DVP in the industrial lands South of Eastern and north of the Gardiner.

Last edited:

Back