News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

somehow I get the feeling that if the first connection of the DRL is built Yonge - Danforth, we won't ever see the rest of the DRL in either of our lives.

Perhaps not, but that is the critical section, the part that would provide the most relief.

I thought that the DRL was mostly designed to shunt east-end riders away from B/Y. Where is the actual pressure on the system?

I thought that the DRL was mostly designed to shunt east-end riders away from B/Y. Where is the actual pressure on the system?

Passenger volumes on the Eglinton to Bloor segment of Yonge is increasing due to population growth and development along Yonge (a couple percent annually) and in future, presumably new riders attracted to the service by the Eglinton LRT.

Moving riders away from the B/Y interchange will improve shorten the dwell time and increase the train frequency a bit - this is the main advantage of the Pape to Downtown section. It would still help the capacity of the Yonge line and could be a first phase. If the DRL is extended up to Eglinton/Don Mills, then actual people are taken off the Yonge line and this would further help Yonge.

Below grade LRT connecting at subway level (same platform, just extended) to just past the 404 was about $400M.

Fully above-grade LRT (no tunnel at all) would be closer to $75M possibly as low as $20M if you keep the Don Mills stop in the middle of the street and don't turn into existing bus station and are willing to run in mixed traffic across the bridge. There is a tunnel running under Sheppard that it might tap into.

How about at-grade and using the money to build the Finch East LRT (i.e. from Don Mills to Seneca to Finch Station to Finch West Station and connect in with the remainder of the Finch West LRT).

Those traveling to Yonge could either stay on LRT to Finch station or switch to the Sheppard subway via a somewhat difficult transfer. If Sheppard subway is converted to LRT, the Finch East could carry the traffic during construction.

If we want to built more transit for less money, this is a very expensive area where money may be saved.

If Eglinton is effective, then it might reduce the effectiveness of an eastern DRL. If I'm coming from STC and heading downtown, why would I transfer at Kennedy and transfer at Pape, when I can get on the Scarborough-Eglinton LRT and transfer at Yonge? It's one less transfer.

There might be a difference in time travelled. But will it be enough to convince people to transfer twice?

Ditto for anybody near the Eglinton LRT or bussing south towards Eglinton. Why would they go all the way to Danforth? That longer bus ride and extra transfer might not be worth the hassle. They might just get off at Eglinton and take the LRT and transfer at Yonge.

If Eglinton is effective, then it might reduce the effectiveness of an eastern DRL. If I'm coming from STC and heading downtown, why would I transfer at Kennedy and transfer at Pape, when I can get on the Scarborough-Eglinton LRT and transfer at Yonge? It's one less transfer.

There might be a difference in time travelled. But will it be enough to convince people to transfer twice?
It's a valid point. If Eglinton is that successful, they may HAVE to push the DRL to Eglinton to get the impact they want. Not a biggie really, because the very high densities in Thornecliffe/Flemingdon more than justify a subway anway ... even the late 1960s expansion plans called for the DRL to be full subway from Eglinton to downtown.

Ditto for anybody near the Eglinton LRT or bussing south towards Eglinton. Why would they go all the way to Danforth? That longer bus ride and extra transfer might not be worth the hassle. They might just get off at Eglinton and take the LRT and transfer at Yonge.
Agreed ... Eglinton is going to pour a lot more riders onto the Yonge subway. We'll have all that excess capacity that the ATC project on Yonge creates taken up without even building to Richmond Hill.

Keithz:

A full DRL intercepting riders along Eglinton heading downtown (financial core) at say, Don Mills wouldn't suffer from this issue - which is why one can't stop building it halfway at Bloor. In addition, increasing YUS capacity doesn't really address the issue of single point failures in the current system - if it fails, it just fails in an even worse manner.

AoD

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree.
Yesterday I was taking the subway north bound during PM rush hours, and a third passengers got off at Bloor.

maybe thats true but add in the additional riders from yonge development and the eglinton lrt and then the benefit is nuetral. also if yonge gets extended to highway 7 then its again worse for yonge riders. the drl needs to get to eglinton before we can think of the yonge extension. maybe both projects can be done in tandom.

I agree with all the observations about increases from the Eglinton LRT and YUS extensions, and my preference would be to see the DRL go as far north as is reasonably useful. But is it nonetheless clear that a) a Danforth-to-Yonge segment would provide significant benefits on its own, and b) there is no way fiscally or politically that a DRL all the way to Eglinton could be built at one time -- it will of necessity need to be phased, and the section that should be phase one is Danforth-to-Yonge.

Of course a better used and integrated Stouffville Line can get Scarborough riders downtown bypassing the subway altogether, at least to get to the CBD.

Of course a better used and integrated Stouffville Line can get Scarborough riders downtown bypassing the subway altogether, at least to get to the CBD.

I like ideas like this. Seriously, someone who knows about this stuff please explain. Why can't the TTC have its own train that would run Kennedy to Union or Oriole to Union in between GO trains. Create separate platforms (even underground if necessary) and better integrate them to Kennedy St and Leslie St. If necessary even create a new platform just off of union station but connect it to PATH somehow.

Back