News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

How can you possibly "relocate" an underground tunnel and stations? :)

What an incredibly stupid question. :mad:

You get a giant machine to pick up the subway and move it.

It's a little like this, just on a slightly bigger scale:

[video=youtube;20dj5MEmcv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dj5MEmcv4[/video]

Hmm... this may not be as easy as I thought :confused:

What an incredibly stupid question. :mad:

You get a giant machine to pick up the subway and move it.

It's a little like this, just on a slightly bigger scale:

[video=youtube;20dj5MEmcv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dj5MEmcv4[/video]

Hmm... this may not be as easy as I thought :confused:
For one thing, as soon as the subway leaves Eglinton West, the tracks are all outside. How expensive was it to just lay down tracks outside? Not very. The only major cost was the actual station when the train pulls in. Glencarin, Lawrence and Yorkdale are not that big at all. Wilson is so so. The land those stations rest on can always be sold to developers and for sure the TTC would recoup more that what it cost to acquire the land and build those stations. Another thing, if you draw a straight line from Downsview station going south, it pretty much hits Dufferin and Wilson Ave. That would mean Downsview Station can be used. Only the Wilson, Yorkdale, Lawrence and Glencarin stations would need to be done away with, sold to developers and then start the Dufferin subway. Of course I know this will never happen

Last edited:
University Line could be called that for 3 different reasons, University Ave, U of T, and York University.

As for Dufferin it would warrant an Eglintonesque TC line that comes outside when the road gets wide enough. Would be ideal to have it part of the Queens Quay route from Union that goes to Exhibition and then continue up Dufferin, so long as it was all grade separated when on the street.

University Line could be called that for 3 different reasons, University Ave, U of T, and York University.

As for Dufferin it would warrant an Eglintonesque TC line that comes outside when the road gets wide enough. Would be ideal to have it part of the Queens Quay route from Union that goes to Exhibition and then continue up Dufferin, so long as it was all grade separated when on the street.
The only place it becomes wide enough is pass Wilson. But then you have to eliminate that jog - Downsview Park. Although it does also get wide also pass Lawrence with the plaza strips lining the street on both sides

How 5? Union and Museum are not on University.
University does intersect with Front Street, and you can get into Union station from buildings on that intersection. Close enough to 5.

Toss in Museum and St. George being on University of Toronto campus, Spadina being on the corner of campus, and the two new stations on the University if York campus, then I think it would be easy to simply call it the Yonge-University line.

Back