News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

My point is that a city like Vancouver would do whatever it takes to preserve trees or remove as few as possible. They have a history of this. Calgary has a track record of levelling everything. If the city really wanted, there were trees in Eau Clare that they could have preserved and worked around no question. It may have been a bit more difficult or expensive but it's possible.
What makes you think that Vancouver would preserve the trees. Most of the lower mainland waterfronts (either Fraser river, Burrard inlet, False Creek, or other bodies of water) were always industrial waste lands. It’s only in the past 20-30 years that they’ve given a crap about the appearance of some of those locations. We don’t know what the City of Calgary will do after the construction in Eau Claire or Sunnyside in terms of land scapping. Let’s let them finish before you hang them for the finished product which no one knows what it will be

What makes you think that Vancouver would preserve the trees. Most of the lower mainland waterfronts (either Fraser river, Burrard inlet, False Creek, or other bodies of water) were always industrial waste lands. It’s only in the past 20-30 years that they’ve given a crap about the appearance of some of those locations. We don’t know what the City of Calgary will do after the construction in Eau Claire or Sunnyside in terms of land scapping. Let’s let them finish before you hang them for the finished product which no one knows what it will be
The city has released the Eau Clare plaza redesign, it's available for all to see (very underwhelming design on a side note). They have already stated less trees will be replanted than what they cut down. Keep in mind it's the loss of mature trees that is also the issue. It doesn't matter when Vancouver started caring about their water fronts, the fact is they do now. Calgary is simply lagging behind.

How busy is Memorial through Sunnyside? is it feasible to drop a lane through there to fit more trees?
That's a very busy road, eliminating a lane wouldn't be a good solution.

For the discussion about trees in Vancouver, just remember that they had to clear the forest to build the city. Trees grow like weeds in Vancouver, couldn't be more different that what we do here.

The city has released the Eau Clare plaza redesign, it's available for all to see (very underwhelming design on a side note). They have already stated less trees will be replanted than what they cut down. Keep in mind it's the loss of mature trees that is also the issue. It doesn't matter when Vancouver started caring about their water fronts, the fact is they do now. Calgary is simply lagging behind.
It’s kinda funny that you want so many trees in Calgary. Do you realize there were no trees on the river banks 100+ years ago. It was baron prairie. Most trees have been planted by the city after WW1 https://www.hsca.ca/blog/2019/10/9/memorial-drive-trees-a-living-legacy

Last edited:
Good news, looks to be a lot more traction than we thought.

From the article, but not related to office space conversions, some good numbers on the construction front.
According to a Monday statement, permits are up 29 per cent year over year, and total construction value in the first eight months of 2021 sits at $4.2 billion — that compares to $2.2 billion at the same time last year.

Somebody didnt read the Lorax. I guess you really like those links style golf courses.
Yes - It's true Calgary had basically no trees when first settled other from the south slopes and other pockets of wind shelter. Other cities like Las Vegas, Phoenix or Abu Dhabi definitely had no tree coverage but people like some green space so they make it happen.
When I lived in Vancouver I did notice that keeping trees alive was the top priority for the city. If a tree was to be felled they would inform the public how much would cost the person requesting the felling of the tree. But then I would hike the North shore or even around UBC and see the HUGE stumps of old growth trees around cut down without even having a second doubt.

Vancouver now protects trees (maybe from guilt?) - Calgary is not in that level yet, but I agree that I would like our city to prioritize well established trees more.

I doubt $75 a sqft is enough to bring more projects than would otherwise be pursued. Maybe it is - but maybe it is just a bit too low. We will see if it is over or under subscribed.
The city's incentive might be working. According to this article in the Herald, the city has seen 13 applications for conversions.

The eagle one is dope too…

03DB4708-D441-42B3-9EBF-C681A4EAD325.jpeg

The city's incentive might be working. According to this article in the Herald, the city has seen 13 applications for conversions.
We will see which projects come to market. If you had even a early stage one, with how the program was designed, it makes sense to apply even if it was just something you were considering maybe doing.

Yes - It's true Calgary had basically no trees when first settled other from the south slopes and other pockets of wind shelter. Other cities like Las Vegas, Phoenix or Abu Dhabi definitely had no tree coverage but people like some green space so they make it happen.
When I lived in Vancouver I did notice that keeping trees alive was the top priority for the city. If a tree was to be felled they would inform the public how much would cost the person requesting the felling of the tree. But then I would hike the North shore or even around UBC and see the HUGE stumps of old growth trees around cut down without even having a second doubt.

Vancouver now protects trees (maybe from guilt?) - Calgary is not in that level yet, but I agree that I would like our city to prioritize well established trees more.
Due to climate, Calgary's trees are much more fragile than those in other cities. Attempts to move trees or keep them alive when doing work around their roots rarely succeed.

Back