News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

This article puts the problem in perspective: https://www.westerninvestor.com/bri...-space-leased-downtown-than-vancouver-4463482

We still have more leased office space than Vancouver and over 43million square feet of downtown inventory. That has to be the highest per capita in North America.

Getting some inventory off the market will help but this problem is really unheard of to have that much office space relative to population. Goes to show what a gravy train O&G was.

Due to climate, Calgary's trees are much more fragile than those in other cities. Attempts to move trees or keep them alive when doing work around their roots rarely succeed.
Which strengthens the case against tearing down 700 mature trees along the busiest and most well-used part of our river pathway. Find a flood mitigation strategy that isn't produced by engineers exclusively as they will want a barren landscape, generous useless/unplanted setbacks from the berm if they get there way. Keep the mature trees, we barely have enough tree canopy as it is and it takes forever for trees to get established the way they are here. This coming from someone who lived in and bailed out Sunnyside during the floods.

Which strengthens the case against tearing down 700 mature trees along the busiest and most well-used part of our river pathway. Find a flood mitigation strategy that isn't produced by engineers exclusively as they will want a barren landscape, generous useless/unplanted setbacks from the berm if they get there way. Keep the mature trees, we barely have enough tree canopy as it is and it takes forever for trees to get established the way they are here. This coming from someone who lived in and bailed out Sunnyside during the floods.
There isn't a great solution tbh. Upstream I bet is 15 years away at best. and even then, will only offer so much protection.

I wonder how much it would cost to flood proof every house as an alternative. lift the main level above the 200 year line, relocate utilities up, make basements 'recoverable'.

I’ve looked at the Calgary development map and can’t seem to find any development proposal for this site. I heard the houses are coming down on Monday and some condominiums are going up. Anyone has any information? The location is in mission close to 17th ave and 4th street
https://goo.gl/maps/12tfvkQ9BwQM1yUg9
4CB084B7-ACB7-42EC-AD84-375603B9EBB8.jpeg
94CD7DEA-D2BE-4305-8FA4-3D811F5832F8.jpeg
4C349BAF-034C-494A-9AD6-9CA5C1A8D464.jpeg
1ED406A3-3E39-4E6F-9BB6-76148080A3D7.jpeg

I’ve looked at the Calgary development map and can’t seem to find any development proposal for this site. I heard the houses are coming down on Monday and some condominiums are going up. Anyone has any information? The location is in mission close to 17th ave and 4th street
https://goo.gl/maps/12tfvkQ9BwQM1yUg9
View attachment 352968View attachment 352969View attachment 352970View attachment 352971
Unless the project changed it should be this: https://www.gravityarchitecture.com/mission-19

Not exactly Calgary, but damn near close enough. I knew this project was in the works, but had no idea the commercial component was so big. Same size as Market Mall is huge!
Interesting, but convoluted read. If I read the article correctly I think this is what happened?
  • Proposal approved by Rockyview Council in Sept 2021, given the scale and proximity to Calgary it would require a Regional board approval.
  • Calgary has a veto at the regional board and would have vetoed it on regional impact grounds, but the developer offered concessions not part of the original approval to pay for road, transit and recreation impacts. As a result Calgary didn't veto the proposal.
  • Rockyview Council members who voted against the original proposal at Rockyview Council complaining of "backdoor dealings" of Calgary to approve it - even though their Council already approved it.
That all sounds fairly.... reasonable. Ultimately, sprawl-inducing and painfully car-oriented of course, but the process sounded like it actually extracted better public value and mitigated some of the impacts to the region that otherwise wouldn't have been compensated for. Am I understanding this correctly? I don't really get what the complaint is.

Interesting, but convoluted read. If I read the article correctly I think this is what happened?
  • Proposal approved by Rockyview Council in Sept 2021, given the scale and proximity to Calgary it would require a Regional board approval.
  • Calgary has a veto at the regional board and would have vetoed it on regional impact grounds, but the developer offered concessions not part of the original approval to pay for road, transit and recreation impacts. As a result Calgary didn't veto the proposal.
  • Rockyview Council members who voted against the original proposal at Rockyview Council complaining of "backdoor dealings" of Calgary to approve it - even though their Council already approved it.
That all sounds fairly.... reasonable. Ultimately, sprawl-inducing and painfully car-oriented of course, but the process sounded like it actually extracted better public value and mitigated some of the impacts to the region that otherwise wouldn't have been compensated for. Am I understanding this correctly? I don't really get what the complaint is.
Yeah, what's shady about this? Sounds like RVC Councilors trying to pander to their anti-development constituents to me. The Herald needs to do a better job in their articles too, they totally try to paint it as some sort of scandal with that headline.

Back