News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I believe that is largely a part of the “greater downtown plan”. I’m pretty sure only $200 million of the $1 billion of the proposed plan is to go toward residential conversion. Possibly even less than 200 actually? I know that of the initial $200 million investment, 45 million is for the first 20+ residential conversions. I know a decent amount of people on here are against subsidizing residential conversions, but it really does seem like a sensible allocation of the first phase of funding… at least to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

For instance, I am fairly certain the “downtown vibrancy capital program” is directly related to making the sidewalks and street fronts more pedestrian-friendly/less hostile. Also likely better signage and placemaking projects. Programming is clearly aimed at attracting community-building events in the core. Just like CMLC does with the EV, these sort of things do attract a lot of suburbanites into the core. Even if it doesn’t attract new residents, it shows these people that downtown is a place to be enjoyed, rather than avoided/feared, a shift in the psychology of this city that is desperately needed if we are to continue to intensify neighbourhoods elsewhere as well.

I know in my travels and meeting of Calgarians these many years, I know a lot in the millennial and Z generations were raised to fear downtown as this dangerous place. That image needs to be changed and this is how it starts. Programmed events, “eyes on the street,” no “broken windows.”

View attachment 397141
The next tranche while not defined, if you go into the documents when the rounds were approved, the target for office to residential conversion, if you take the $75 psf, absorbs most of the rest of the to be approved $500 million.

Whoa that is really exciting, I love that block. I hope that they can do something using the facades and intensifying the site. A good example of what i would love to see here would be the integration of the facades into a mid-rise format similar to projects in Gastown. This Westbank one on 33 West Cordova (that i've posted about before) that backs onto Blood Alley would be great inspiration to use for this site.
Street-facing elevation:
View attachment 396702
Lane-facing elevation and treatment:
View attachment 396704
I hope they respect and expand on the heritage buildings along this stretch in a similar way.
I thought this was for Calgary at first glance and was ready to ready to do several fist pumps lol

Last edited:
Not really “news” but there are a number of portapotties at the empty lot at the NW corner of 17 and 1 Street SW. Possibly some action? Or at least cleaning up the hideously garbage-ridden lot?

Anyone else think that 17th AVE downtown should be given the Stephen Ave treatment in regards to the road? I walk 17th Ave often, and for a party and tourist hotspot, the sidewalks suck! All cracked, uneven, skinny, missed-matched. There's also never much room left with a lot of these patios and extended patios and so people are forced to step onto the road and use a hundred of those crappy ramps. Not good for wheelchairs or scooters. Last year I saw Liberal MP Kent Hehr need assistance because the ramp wasn't right up against the sidewalk. Wider and flush sidewalks would effectively eliminate these problems. Also, thoughts on softer sidewalks/walkways?

Idk sometimes I feel like my left nut sources more innovation and vision than these city officials.

Last edited:
Anyone else think that 17th AVE downtown should be given the Stephen Ave treatment in regards to the road? I walk 17th Ave often, and for a party and tourist hotspot, the sidewalks suck! All cracked, uneven, skinny, missed-matched. There's also never much room left with a lot of these patios and extended patios and so people are forced to step onto the road and use a hundred of those crappy ramps. Not good for wheelchairs or scooters. Last year I saw Liberal MP Kent Hehr need assistance because the ramp wasn't right up against the sidewalk. Wider and flush sidewalks would effectively eliminate these problems. Also, thoughts on softer sidewalks/walkways?

Idk sometimes I feel like my left nut sources more innovation and vision than these city officials.

It's been years of the 17th ave "improvements" and all we seem to have to show for it is horrible asphalt patched stretches of ripped up sidewalk.

Are they doing more work on 17th this year? They did the roads and were planning to do the sidewalks and streetlights and all that next I believe.

Edit; just checked the city website and it looks like the final lift of asphalt will happen in the fall of this year and the sidewalks will be done next year.
https://www.calgary.ca/roads/construction/17-ave-sw.html

Are they doing more work on 17th this year? They did the roads and were planning to do the sidewalks and streetlights and all that next I believe.

Edit; just checked the city website and it looks like the final lift of asphalt will happen in the fall of this year and the sidewalks will be done next year.
https://www.calgary.ca/roads/construction/17-ave-sw.html
It doesn't seem like enough. I like that they're burying the power lines tho.

Not really “news” but there are a number of portapotties at the empty lot at the NW corner of 17 and 1 Street SW. Possibly some action? Or at least cleaning up the hideously garbage-ridden lot?
6590883C-8802-4A4A-92BB-A3F585716DF0.jpeg

Not really sure what’s going on either. Maybe the city is preparing for the “red mile” so that there are facilities for people to relieve themselves. This is on the SW corner of 17th Ave and 2nd street.

It's been years of the 17th ave "improvements" and all we seem to have to show for it is horrible asphalt patched stretches of ripped up sidewalk.

Calgary's extended street patios returning with safety, accessibility changes​

View attachment 397566
This street needs to have 20' wide sidewalks on the north side permanently (Or at least better seasonal integration than this - see Elgin in Ottawa). I'm certain 17th will be fine with 1 westbound traffic lane from 14th ST W. eastward, and I guarantee that the wider sidewalks make those businesses (& the city) more money than street parking ever could.

As a bonus, swap street parking on the south side with a separated bike lane, and bring the trees up to the edge of the curb on the north.

But how would dudes demonstrate their inferiority complexes ripping by the Ship?

17th could definitely re-evaluate it's relationship with cars, but I think it would be a tough sell, and I'm not sure how well the surrounding roads would support the idea. Limited transit; 17th is the southernmost E-W arterial in the core; it's also the correction point from roads running parallel with CP tracks.

The bigger opportunity IMO is 1 St SW. N-W pedestrian corridors are particularly rough, but this road is a few tweaks away from being very good if not great. Not much justification for catering to cars since it terminates at both 17 ave and Riverfront Ave, but continues beyond for non-motorized traffic. Macleods and 4/5 St are both 2-3 blocks on either side. It's already quite vibrant and attractive from 14 ave to 4 ave (except for the underpass), so three simple/obvious spots that need a little helping hand:

1. Underpass: they've made it bright, but both sides are brutally narrow. There's absolutely no reason to have 4 vehicle lanes, but it's hard to imagine a re-do of the re-do. The only hope would be a green-line reroute for cost savings of a pre-built underpass - simply apply the same logic as they did for Centre St in terms of killing car lanes. I've pontificated many reasons why 1 st sw would be a better alignment, but yet another is that you could completely redo the experience of the whole street during the cover stage of cut/cover...

2. 3 Ave: Three parking lots and an ugly parkade entrance for Sun Life Plaza (which could be a simple re-cladding and re-thinking of greenery). Ideally you'd activate one of the parking lots, but even just a big mural on the side of this building to signify the transition into Chinatown might be enough (fix those terrible sidewalks, too). Also a few public art opportunities on the west side of the street.

3. Rouleauville Square area - if development isn't imminent on either side of 17 ave (west of 1st), then those lots are absolutely begging for a ContainR park or something similar . As you head east on 17th past the funeral homes it feels like you're entering some weird purgatory. I imagine R Square still feels sketchy? It might help to remove the conifers? Would also help sight-lines to the cathedral. It's just kind of a weird spot. Food trucks? Skating rink? Outdoor movies? Mini Golf? I believe it's been mentioned for this specific spot, but an Alamo Drafthouse Cinema type-thing would be absolutely perfect.

Wasn't really sure the best thread to post my rant in so apologies if this is slightly off topic but this latest news about Stephen Ave really grinds my gears. As a city we have spent a ridiculous amount of time talking about downtowm revitalization and Council is now investing hundreds of millions of dollars to try and make it happen. Yet at the same time, the City of Calgary is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by making decisions that cost nothing and dramatically impact the vibrancy of the downtown core's premier street.

During COVID Stephen Ave was closed to traffic except for a small window of time in the mornings when deliveries were permitted. As a night owl who lives downtown, I can definitely say that this lead to an incredible amount of vibrancy with the street still packed with pedestrians and people joyriding on the scooters late at night, especially on weekends during the summer. The fact that the City of Calgary quietly ended this policy this winter and allowed cars to return after 6pm was a major step backwards. The fact that they think they are now "fixing" this issue by extending the ban on cars until 11pm makes me want to scream.

Anyone who thinks nightlife in Calgary ends at 11pm obviously hasn't been on Stephen Ave or 17th Ave late at night in the summer for years. When it comes to Stephen Ave, the only traffic that appears there at night are taxis and ubers cruising for fares. Spoiler alert - After 11pm, people are thinking about leaving the bars and restaurants. If you make it easier for taxis to scoop them up and remove them from the street you actually reduce the vibrancy of an area. Even the act of forcing people to walk to the end of the block to find their ride places those people in the crowd and on the street and helps to add to the buzz and vibrancy even if they're on their way home.

Keeping Stephen Ave closed to cars should be a no cost, no brainer. The fact this article has the area Councillor and the head of the City of Calgary's Downtown Strategies department defending the decision to open it to cars at 11pm and trying to point out how that will actually help vibrancy gives me zero hope for the future of downtown. We are obviously just going to keep doing what we have always been doing and hope it magically leads to better results this time around.

Back