News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The infill development of townhomes and a condo buildling by Brookfield, just north of Shaganappi Point Station next to the Shaganappi golf course, is going to be called Crown Park:

Curious if anyone knows what's going into the space beside Jinya on 4th street (1800 4 St SW, Calgary, AB T2S 2S4). I was hopeful it would be something exciting like retail, restaurant or bar but the more I see the changes they're making, the more I'm starting to think it's another bank. :rolleyes:

Looking around at the downtown and inner city from the Calgary is a pretty impressive view until you come to this part 😟
Those empty lots beside the tracks, the huge parking lot next to them and the bus barns combine for one big wasteland.

I overheard some tourists pointing out the empty lots asking why they were empty and one of the people with them said they were bulldozed because “they’re planning to build condos there”
If only that was the case.

D19F003D-3997-4FA1-B1B1-627D4ECA01C1.jpeg

Looking around at the downtown and inner city from the Calgary is a pretty impressive view until you come to this part 😟
Those empty lots beside the tracks, the huge parking lot next to them and the bus barns combine for one big wasteland.

I overheard some tourists pointing out the empty lots asking why they were empty and one of the people with them said they were bulldozed because “they’re planning to build condos there”
If only that was the case.

View attachment 401734
Definitely a sad reality of our past and current policies. But also look at a good chunk of 9th Ave and 10th Ave. It's the same. I can't help but look at these examples and think of the decades and decades Calgary has had for downtown growth and revitalization efforts. Our political system is broken.

Who owns the land between those powerlines at the tracks? CP or Remington? I know it used to be a railyard...did CP sell it?

And who owns north of the tracks? Presumably the city? IIRC it's theoretically earmarked for a regional rail station?

We'd have sections of that land build by now if it wasn't all owned by a single developer (Remington Development Corporation.) Hopefully we'll see some developments pop up around the Green line station once it's open.
Ownership is not the issue. That section of dt is simply less desirable. Until other parts of dt and the Beltline build out, the rail corridor and east Victoria Park will remain wasteland. Look at East Village. Even with hundreds of millions in government subsidies, development has stalled. The Bus Barns are even more challenging, given poor access and requirement to raise above flood plain.

It's less desirable right now, but in the future I can see it becoming the most desirable area.

Let's imagine we get a rail station at the pre-acquired plot. Now let's say there's a pedestrian tunnel underneath the station; this makes a lot of sense to give it access to the event center and the green line. All of a sudden, the combination of the green line station, the event center, and the rail station will probably lead to 5 St SE becoming probably the most activated pedestrian corridor in Calgary. IMO that's when we're likely to see significant development.

KPd2MrkCcEuaPP7EXiqAO8qTInAs6J9R5kwgtYwfE36wLrKH6Hgufj7FAfUQYaiPfHy6TF3Yrq2WmgwIUY14RNVyDP1wSvPgPZt5uvEbq_x_0c2QBCAK6XThF1npVGDGOezdKxMcw469BvDNnQ

Ownership is not the issue. That section of dt is simply less desirable. Until other parts of dt and the Beltline build out, the rail corridor and east Victoria Park will remain wasteland. Look at East Village. Even with hundreds of millions in government subsidies, development has stalled. The Bus Barns are even more challenging, given poor access and requirement to raise above flood plain.

Bus barns land at least have the river + riverwalk. Access isn't that bad, especially once the 17 Ave connection and 5 St SE underpasses are complete. The riverfront should become an extension of the riverwalk that can include a flood barrier. Greenline + walkable to Inglewood/EV = very desirable for some midrises.

It's less desirable right now, but in the future I can see it becoming the most desirable area.

Let's imagine we get a rail station at the pre-acquired plot. Now let's say there's a pedestrian tunnel underneath the station; this makes a lot of sense to give it access to the event center and the green line. All of a sudden, the combination of the green line station, the event center, and the rail station will probably lead to 5 St SE becoming probably the most activated pedestrian corridor in Calgary. IMO that's when we're likely to see significant development.

KPd2MrkCcEuaPP7EXiqAO8qTInAs6J9R5kwgtYwfE36wLrKH6Hgufj7FAfUQYaiPfHy6TF3Yrq2WmgwIUY14RNVyDP1wSvPgPZt5uvEbq_x_0c2QBCAK6XThF1npVGDGOezdKxMcw469BvDNnQ

Rather than hope for a train station that may or may not ever materialize, I think they should bridge the CP tracks by building the arena on that site, with parkade+practice rink on north side and indoor+outdoor concourses over the tracks.

Train station would be even better 1 block west (essentially between Village Ice Cream and Platform), or a block east, or you keep space for the station on the north side of the tracks and design accordingly...

This idea is a bit half-baked, but the north structure could have a couple levels of underground parking with be a fairly basic big box at ground level that houses ice rinks in the short term with some temporary bleachers, but it would easily convert to a train depot. The key aspect of a structure on the other side of the tracks is to facilitate crossings over/under the tracks. You'd save a few bucks by building the 5 St underpass at the same time, and a few other access tunnels under the tracks while you have dug out holes on each side.

If the train station comes to fruition, you build a 5000 seat arena/venue somewhere else nearby (I'll dream big and say it could be a part of a new grandstand opposite the Stampede Grandstand), with athletic facilities for Stamps+cowboys+hockey as needed.

Lastly, use all the earth you've dug out for these projects to build berms east along the CP tracks to make the bus barn lands nicer.

I would build the new arena where the Bus Barns are and move the Green Line station one block east and then you have TOD developments along 11th Ave. It might be interesting to see if the city could build the new buss barns underneath the new arena.

Back