News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

More NIMBY's

"We accept progress. We accept, you know, that yes, it is inner city now. But not to this level. Let's compromise here," Bulcao said.
A 5 storey apartment building is going to irrevocably change their neighborhood? A neighbourhood that already has lots of apartment, buildings and multi family. Imagine if it was six stories, it would be Armageddon.

(Emphasis mine.)

The best count data for this location from 2013/14 has the busiest single hour at 70 vehicles, both directions combined. The nearest 50 foot high building is one block away. NIMBYs have absolutely no sense of reality.
The irony is that a quiet side street, in a centrally located community is the perfect place to put low-rise apartments. 10x the people will be able to enjoy the benefits of the area with this building instead of remaining 3 homes. We shouldn't always push density to loud arterials and into corners, low-rise apartments can fit in the middle of neighbourhoods just fine everywhere.

They should also water their grass.
Or get fake grass. Even in downtown Vancouver, some high-end residential streets use fake grass. I know some streets or properties in the beltline use fake grass as well.
Speaking of which. I would love to see much wider bike lane medians in this city and with fake grass in between. This would of course likely come at the expense of a parking lane 😲. It could definitely be a big part of the solution for more walkable and greener streets in this city. It would make total sense for blocks around central memorial park and higher end and newer developments. It would definitely be useful for condo pet owners and pedestrians so we don't have to step in their dog's piss.

I've made the drastic step of joining my communities planning and development committee. "Something, something... be the change you want to see". I haven't told them I follow a development forum.
I appreciate people like yourself who do this and help improve neighbourhoods and the city. I’ve been to a few meetings in my community and the committees are always stacked with anti-everything Karens.

If not fake grass, at least some drought resistant shrubs or grass.
I noticed around Westbrook/17 ave SW the streetscape upgrades have included lots of xeriscaping with these little spiky shrubs
1673822752144.png

Street View hasn't been updated so apologies for the potato aerial but you can see the big chunks of green that hopefully won't require much care at all

I appreciate people like yourself who do this and help improve neighbourhoods and the city. I’ve been to a few meetings in my community and the committees are always stacked with anti-everything Karens.

I bet each and every one of those people believe they’re doing great things for their community.

I noticed around Westbrook/17 ave SW the streetscape upgrades have included lots of xeriscaping with these little spiky shrubs

Street View hasn't been updated so apologies for the potato aerial but you can see the big chunks of green that hopefully won't require much care at all
I've seen a lot of those spiky grass shrubs getting planted on city streetscapes. I don't know what kind of plant it is, but from what I've seen, they seem to be drought tolerant, and I'm guessing that's the reason why.

I've seen a lot of those spiky grass shrubs getting planted on city streetscapes. I don't know what kind of plant it is, but from what I've seen, they seem to be drought tolerant, and I'm guessing that's the reason why.
Blue oat grass I beleive. We will see what they look like after a few years of zero maintenance by the city!

Blue oat grass I beleive. We will see what they look like after a few years of zero maintenance by the city!
I think those are the ones the city planted along 13th ave SW. From what I've seen they are holding out well....unless the city has re-planted them at some point. Fingers crossed!

I think those are the ones the city planted along 13th ave SW. From what I've seen they are holding out well....unless the city has re-planted them at some point. Fingers crossed!
Yeah you’re right, same as what’s on 13th. It’s a resilient plant that grows like a weed so fingers crossed!

That grass is also highly resistant to animal urine as well, as clearly evidenced on 13 Avenue. Only one block (north side between Centre and 1st SW) has been replanted so far in the 6 or so years since the “greenway” was finished. So this stuff lasts, and looks quite good. Planting for our climate is the best possible solution to city beautification. Part of why the EV and RiverWalk are so gorgeous.

I didn’t know those plants were called blue oat grass, but my parents had some planted in their yard about five years ago and they’ve been solid. One thing about them is don’t use much water, probably why they have survived on 13th ave. I mean it’s safe to say the city probably hasn’t bothered to water them.

Back