News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I don't even know what this thing is but it looks like these guys are still working on it. These are massive terraces.
Wish the architects would just list the address. Kinda a big piece of information. Anyway.
6 ST & 15th AVE SW Calgary

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 5.49.49 PM.png

Well, I was expecting a highrise here (as was already approved) but it's another 5 over 1. Underwhelming.
1301 12 AVE SW

View attachment 454863
I have to disagree, more of this is fine by me. The design is boring but this isn't a prominent corner and the lot has been empty for awhile, nice to see something happen.

I don't even know what this thing is but it looks like these guys are still working on it. These are massive terraces.
Wish the architects would just list the address. Kinda a big piece of information. Anyway.
6 ST & 15th AVE SW Calgary

View attachment 454817
This is the location of the older Citizen Tower application. The architect for that version was Max Tayefi Architects. Maybe with Davignon Martin's involvement, it has new life in it?

I'm not sure if this has been talked about in another thread but Humpy Hollow Park Redevelopment is scheduled to go ahead this spring 'as soon as weather permits' according to the city's website. IMO this is an underrated urban design project.

View attachment 454791
Love this. Way nicer than the original design. But I did like that the original included an off leash park. Doesn’t appear that this one does. Hopefully I’m wrong 🤞🏼

Edit: oh jeez scratch that. The western 2/5 of the site is off leash. Nice! Hopefully they use artificial turf in the dog park section, otherwise the grass will be fully dead a couple months after it’s open.

Love this. Way nicer than the original design. But I did like that the original included an off leash park. Doesn’t appear that this one does. Hopefully I’m wrong 🤞🏼

Edit: oh jeez scratch that. The western 2/5 of the site is off leash. Nice! Hopefully they use artificial turf in the dog park section, otherwise the grass will be fully dead a couple months after it’s open.
Out of curiosity as I am not a pet person, how does artificial turf hold up in dog parks? Ex. do the dogs tear it up, does somebody spray it down went temps are sufficiently warm, does it get really disgusting in the winter?

Hello, long-time listener and first-time caller here. :)

I'm confused about the plans for 34 Ave SW in Marda Loop. Are they taking the street parking away east of 20th St SW, or not? The main streets PDF has a "section D" that includes no parking, but instead a very large eastbound lane and a very large sidewalk on the north side of the avenue. However I can see on the map that they've put the little red circle 6 ("Maximize On Street Parking Supply") on a couple of spots in that section of the avenue.

I'm hoping they at least leave parking on the south side of the avenue. Between 19 St SW and 16 St SW there are a bunch of older homes with no garage in front, no alley in back, and no room to build a driveway or front parking spot.

I'm confused about the plans for 34 Ave SW in Marda Loop. Are they taking the street parking away east of 20th St SW, or not? The main streets PDF has a "section D" that includes no parking, but instead a very large eastbound lane and a very large sidewalk on the north side of the avenue. However I can see on the map that they've put the little red circle 6 ("Maximize On Street Parking Supply") on a couple of spots in that section of the avenue.

I'm hoping they at least leave parking on the south side of the avenue. Between 19 St SW and 16 St SW there are a bunch of older homes with no garage in front, no alley in back, and no room to build a driveway or front parking spot.
I count 5 single residential properties. They don't have assured parking access today. The won't in the future. What's the issue?

Out of curiosity as I am not a pet person, how does artificial turf hold up in dog parks? Ex. do the dogs tear it up, does somebody spray it down went temps are sufficiently warm, does it get really disgusting in the winter?

The East Village dog park has artificial turf. It's been there for at least 4 years and I've never seen them do any maintenance or replacement work. The turf looks almost the same today as when it was first installed so it seems to hold up quite well.

There will be some on-street parking loss on 34-Ave. It was detailed during the engagement for the Cycling Amenities. It was estimated that 34 Ave will lose 16% (54 spaces) due to incorporation of the multi-use path (see Pros + Cons Comparison under the Previous Engagement tab here: https://engage.calgary.ca/33ave). There are images for the multi-use path at the link above which show the estimated reduced parking on the north and south side of the road along different sections of 34 Ave.

I will note though that construction is only currently funded for development to 18 St on 34 Ave (19 St on 33 Ave), so the reduction in parking will be lower than the estimated 54 spaces until the next phase of construction (timing of which is currently unclear).

Spaces will largely be lost due to the introduction of curb extensions at crosswalks. There are other reasons spaces will be lost. As an example, there is an area where on street parking will be lost on the south side of 34 Ave mid-block between 20 St and 19 St to route the new multi-use trail around a historic tree. It’s discussed around the 38 minute mark of the recording of the last virtual public information session here (this was just posted today): https://www.calgary.ca/planning/projects/marda-loop-main-street.html

There is an upcoming online information session specifically on the 34 Ave multi-use path on Feb. 16th: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/526760824807

The East Village dog park has artificial turf. It's been there for at least 4 years and I've never seen them do any maintenance or replacement work. The turf looks almost the same today as when it was first installed so it seems to hold up quite well.
Reckon they give it a power brush once or twice a year. There would be significant drainage ability under a public dog turf as well.

Back