News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I don't know if this has been posted before, but thought I'd post it anyway. Interesting map with the former street names.

View attachment 458522
This reminds me, I've noticed recently on Google Maps that 1st St and 17th Ave acknowledge their former names. Is there any reason for that?

I do think it would be a good idea to embrace branding those streets more with their names like 8th Av/Stephen Ave has. There are multiple 17th Ave's and 1st Street's. Being able to refer to these ones by names give them even more distinction.

This reminds me, I've noticed recently on Google Maps that 1st St and 17th Ave acknowledge their former names. Is there any reason for that?

I do think it would be a good idea to embrace branding those streets more with their names like 8th Av/Stephen Ave has. There are multiple 17th Ave's and 1st Street's. Being able to refer to these ones by names give them even more distinction.
I know for 1st Street SW they were sort of branding it as having both names. Back about 12 years ago, they actually had street banners with the name 'Scarth Street'

Speaking of Scarth street. A couple of shots from 2007.
1677375962121.png

1677375981056.png

Last edited:
They posted the boards from the open house on their site as well. The only piece I find kind of amusing is the one where they say it's a "not for profit endeavour" when clearly there's some fairly valuable land they're sitting on if they clean it up.

The proposal does carry significant risks. Does the recycling technology to create the flex fuel actually work at scale? How price competitive will the flex fuel be given the historical volatility in AB gas prices? Can the land be sufficiently remediated to be approved for redevelopment? Will a market exist to support development as the site is in an unappealing industrial area with no advantages other than access to the Green Line?

The proposal does carry significant risks. Does the recycling technology to create the flex fuel actually work at scale? How price competitive will the flex fuel be given the historical volatility in AB gas prices? Can the land be sufficiently remediated to be approved for redevelopment? Will a market exist to support development as the site is in an unappealing industrial area with no advantages other than access to the Green Line?

They're actually just about done building a plant up in Balzac producing "low carbon fuel", so I don't think that piece is a huge stretch. The city remediated the Highfield landfill a couple of years ago, this was a similar facility (class III landfill). I think it's an interesting project with outcomes that could be mutually beneficial for the communities nearby (who wants to live near a landfill?), as well as provide a profit stream for Ecco. On the flipside, they could easily have just filled up the landfill capped it and done nothing without taking on the risk, so I get what you're saying as well.

I don't think I've seen this reported. There is some promotion going on at the site of Midfield Heights

Looks like the City is trying to drum up development interest and would suggest they have not found a partner yet. Surprising as I thought a company like Jayman, Truman or Anthem would snap this up as a mixed use development. Wonder what the hold up is.

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen this reported. There is some promotion going on at the site of Midfield Heights

Looks like the City is trying to drum up development interest and would suggest they have not found a partner yet. Surprising as I thought a company like Jayman, Truman or Anthem would snap this up as a mixed use development. Wonder what the hold up is.
Trying to sign up in the builder portal for updates, but it's giving an error (for anyone on here that might be connected with it could fix it).
1678320841720.png

i would guess that builders will pick up individual lots and possibly exercise future options on other lots if they allow it. I wouldn't expect a lot of the at-grade commercial to happen and i would imagine more of the sites would play out better as stacked townhomes and some wood-frame apartments. We'll see how it plays out 🤷‍♂️.

Could it be possible NIMBY delays scaring off developers? I suspect that is the reason why the Richmond Green redevelopment was no bid.

Back