News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Update on the Olympic Plaza design work. While I'm happy to hear that they are contemplating a skating rink in the design, I hope they recognize that what people love about Olympic Plaza currently is that the skating rink has refrigeration so it is one of the only outdoor rinks in the city that offers a quality skating experience throughout the winter Chinook cycle. Just having a flat surface they can flood to make the same kind of backyard quality outdoor rink that can be found in dozens of Calgary communities would be an extreme disappointment but something tells me that is probably the direction they are headed. I would hate to see the splash park/fountain feature dissappear as well as that is a strong draw for people in the summer months but it doesn't get much of a mention anywhere.

The skating was even brought up by the organizers of events at Olympic Plaza as a draw for them. They may have been contemplating getting rid of it but I think the public and stakeholder feedback may have changed their mind. What they aren't bending to is the famous 5 or the bricks staying.

The note for next steps:
Olympic Plaza will be closed at the end of 2024 through 2028 to facilitate construction on the Arts Commons Transformation expansion and the Olympic Plaza Transformation. The City of Calgary will continue working with event organizers to find alternate locations for events during construction. In the coming months, The City of Calgary will advance light site preparation works, including the relocation of the City of Calgary’s Parks depot and the Women are Persons! sculpture. The City of Calgary will continue to program Olympic Plaza through December.

Almost four years is a long time... Especially since the budget is 70M (fully understanding this is for Arts Commons too). If you thought Eau Claire took long... buckle up. The new Parks depot across 7th Ave looks to be almost done and they seem to already be relocating things there.

An Apple store in The Core, or on Stephen Ave (Like where Winners used to be) would be nice.
Winners is still on Stephen, same building. Me n my dog go there every week to get her treats.

Doesn't look like it, most of the floors are available. It's probably tough to attract smaller tenants when so much of the building is empty, there's just a lack of amenities and services and it's location isn't the most central.

View attachment 591609
Wish this went recessed balconies and residential when it switched owners

Back