News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

It's probably a non-starter with CP, but any chance they could build bike lanes adjacent to the train tracks on 9th? Looking at an overhead map, I could potentially see room for a bike corridor separating from the river pathway under Crowchild till about 4th St when it goes into a tunnel. There's a lot of dead space in those lots on 9th/alleyways, and it might be something to work in now before those lots get developed (whatever century that may be).

In general, I'm a fan of separating bikes and cars as much as possible (for both safety and noise reasons), and utilizing alleys and dead zones might not be a bad solution in places.
I cycle beside train tracks between Edworthy and Crowchild and it's mildly terrifying when a train comes barreling past you. You are fully aware that if the train derails you're dead lol.

The noise is definitely a factor...but then again, cycling on a busy road next to cars speeding by is no aural picnic either. One is constant and loud, and the other is periodic and louder. Choose your own adventure? Less noise is often why I prefer side-streets and alleys.

As far as the safety factor, clearly there would need to be some form of physical barrier between the lanes and tracks...but in the grand scheme of things how many cyclists/pedestrians are killed by train derailments vs. cars?

Just noticed this on the Dmap... Be prepared to be underwhelmed and transported back to 1999.
1725641371274.png

South Elevation
1725641473328.png

North East Corner Elevation, what you'll see from Macleod.
1725641486529.png

1725641623825.png

^ Is DP the phase where most of the fees are paid, or is that BP? Might just be get the approval in the can, then flip, for someone that can do a better project but doesn't want to take the 'risk'.

Never going to happen. 9th Ave is a major artery into downtown from the west. Thee is already a cycle lane on 12th Ave three blocks south, in any case, as well as 8th Ave, one block north. Another one on 9th Ave is not needed at all and I am a big supporter of bike lanes. Traffic already gets backed up on 9th Ave during morning commute.

It's insane to me how unironically somebody will argue that there's no point in adding a bike lane if there's one available a few blocks away, but in the same breath justify car access by default on every single right-of-way.

How about we put a bike route on every single street in the core and limit cars to every three blocks? If that sounds wild to you, consider that that's the mirror of the argument you're making.

Or, a compromise: Maybe we could provide access to cars, bikes and pedestrians reliably on every street by default and not design our City around the choices of those people trying to navigate the densest part of the city in the most expensive, oversized mode of transport. Maybe if you're in a car you accept getting stuck in traffic sometimes. You can use the time sit and think about how inefficient it is to have a few hundred people stuck, completely unable to navigate a block, because they've decided to take up 200 square feet of space each.

And sure, cars are the norm in Calgary because we've been steeped in this brainwashing since the '50s but that isn't a justification for perpetuating such a narrow-minded vision of our public realm.

Back