News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Stephen Avenue and 8 Street SW conceptual designs have been completed:

Stephen Ave Streetscape Master Plan: https://online.flippingbook.com/view/912767953/

Big news for all the Nederland fans out there, raised intersections along the entire pedestrian mall
1699501969321.png

Two really exciting projects. Great location for both! A residential conversion on the C-Train and Century Gardens, more eyes on the street there would be great for that area, especially with the work the city is putting into 8th Street.

(I mixed up streets and aves... this isn't correct but I still stand by it as a great idea, now it is just my idea) A hotel on top of the Barcelona is a great idea, with the Stephen Ave work coming, what a fun place to stay if you're from out of town. Please, keep the brick!

1699548844868.png

Last edited:
I hope Im wrong as thats a cool idea however think youve got streets and avenues mixed up

Meanwhile, the Canadian Centre at 833 4th Ave. S.W. is being retrofitted into a hotel. When the conversion was announced in July 2022, it was expected to be converted to short-term residential housing with more than $12 million of city dollars. It’s being developed by the PBA Group of Companies.

I hope Im wrong as thats a cool idea however think youve got streets and avenues mixed up

Meanwhile, the Canadian Centre at 833 4th Ave. S.W. is being retrofitted into a hotel. When the conversion was announced in July 2022, it was expected to be converted to short-term residential housing with more than $12 million of city dollars. It’s being developed by the PBA Group of Companies.
Damn so true...

This is the actual one. Cover the brick on this one, I don't care.
1699550883953.png

I like the idea of a hotel conversion here - it costs us less (less conversion subsidy) and still takes office space off the market. And the building already kind of looks like a hotel.

(Glad to hear it's this office block at 4 Ave/8 St and not the Barcelona building at 8 Ave/4 St! I like that little building)

My dream would be to see Mewata Armoury turned into a food hall of some sort. I think it would be perfect for that.
I was thinking more of a museum or something, but a food hall there would be amazing, especially if there's some sort of festival at Millennium! Would be a great spot for a market o some form as well.

I think a combo of a food hall, farmers market, and indoor event space would be ideal at Mewata. Hopefully if it's ever turned over to the city they redevelop the plaza section of Millennium Park too so the building is better integrated within the park (maybe remove the parking/roadway surrounding the building?)

Last edited:
Herald article on the design team, no timelines yet. Article
Holy the comments section on this article is wild. Some people really want their city to do the bare minimum; these poor people who just sit at home and watch TV every night all night need to get out and experience their city.

I'm so thankful for this online community, we may disagree on form and have really great discussions on those disagreements but I think we can all agree about the function of good urban development.

It's the death spiral of suburban car-centric planning.
They, sadly, don't see themselves as the issue. They do not realize how inefficient suburban sprawl costs the city more money than any "council pet project". Those price tags don't make headlines because they're the sum of endless complicated incremental costs.

I can see the logic behind someone thinking the Olympic Plaza is fine the way it is and why do we need to spend this money now, that's fair in the context of it is still usable to me, why isn't it usable to you? I don't agree with that logic myself but those are not the arguments I see. Personally, I think you spend this money because maximizing the function of your town square has so many ripple affects that, like the cost of suburban sprawl, are not plain to see.

It's the death spiral of suburban car-centric planning.

People become so accustomed to staying at home, building their little fortress, that they completely ignore the outside world.

They become increasingly isolated and misanthropic, and start. advocating for less spending on anything public or interesting. Thereby encouraging another generation of monkish selfish people.

Nailed it.

Back