39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Lets do an employment roll call

What you do for work?
Where are you based?
Why Calgary?

i'll start

I'm a hotel and condo developer professionally, and am also a real estate investor
I'm based in Vancouver
I'm a UofC graduate so gradually I have an interest in Calgary.

I work for the Bank of Canada, here in Calgary.

I've lived most of my life here in Calgary, so that is one of the reasons I'm here, but I'm also very bullish on Calgary and the direction it's going. Living in Calgary and being a left leaning type thinker hasn't always been easy....I've always wanted Calgary to be a more progressive city, and now we're moving in that direction. Definitely not going to leave now ;)

Civil engineer specializing in transportation and municipal infrastructure.

Based in Calgary. Grew up just south of Edmonton and went to school there, but moved to Calgary in 2005, and really noticed a much different vibe to the city that I really enjoyed. Plan to stay for the foreseeable future, at least until my son is old enough to move out on his own, then who knows what the future will bring. But, in terms of a place to establish yourself as an adult, make a life and raise a family, I don't know of anywhere better.

Currently in University working towards a BA in Commerce, as well as a Commercial Pilots license, the goal in the be a pilot one day!

Currently living back and forth between Phoenix, Moncton and Calgary

I was born and raised mostly in Calgary for my entire childhood, once I got older I began to grow a special appreciation for Calgary, realizing one day that it's feels like a special kind of city. Everyone here is nice and out going and there's a certain vibe that goes around that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. Once i'm graduated and working i'm hoping I can base my career out of Calgary and hopefully raise my kids here one day as well.

I manage land acquisition for capital projects for an energy company based in Calgary.

I’m originally from a small town near London, Ontario.

I moved here from Toronto with my wife 4 years ago for work (my company asked if I was interested in moving to the head office).

We decided to move to Calgary because we were looking for a home in Toronto and were priced out of the market. We’d never be able to afford our Calgary home or neighborhood if they were located in Toronto.

We miss aspects of our lives in Toronto (friends & family, metropolitan feel, architecture, diversity, professional sports, etc.), but there is so much that we love about Calgary that I don’t think we’d ever move back, especially now that we have a young family (quality of life, affordability, proximity to the mountains, park space, traffic, etc.).

Work in IT, here in Calgary. I've lived here most of my life after moving here with my parents from SE Asia. I've lived in Vernon and Vancouver for brief periods also, but Calgary is my home. I'm still not used to winters in Canada/Calgary, but aside of that I like everything about Calgary. It's the perfect balance of city and nature.

Architectural Designer
Based here in Calgary
Long story short. Born in Japan, grew up all over the map. Moved to Calgary after 10 years in NYC, as my Wife is from Calgary. Once our child's daycare in NYC exceeded our monthly rent two-fold and a bit more, the math just wasn't working in our favor to justify staying.

I am a full time landscaper with contracts with the city, CMLC, and numerous private entities. Currently finishing up my final two courses for my degree in Urban Studies with a specialization in sustainable global development and a minor in Anthropology.

I have lived in Calgary nearly 10 years. Prior to that, I had lived in Vancouver for 1.5 years, Kelowna for several months, Toronto for 1 year, Ottawa for several months, and was born and raised in a small town in extreme Southern Ontario called Woodstock.

I have always been unsure how to answer the "why Calgary?" question, as I get asked it a lot. My first few months here were terrible and I thought about leaving (though I had no financial means to do so, so I didn't), but then I picked myself up and became a badass b*tch. Then I met a man about 10 months after moving here and we were together for 4.5 years, and then I decided to go to university. Numerous circumstances led me to staying here, but no one thing brought me here nor kept me here. I love the city, and it is most definitely home. As an urban development enthusiast, it has been amazing to watch this city grow from the regional centre of the prairies to being a full-fledged metropolis of international repute. Though the longing for family - along with a vastly larger pool of both career and romantic opportunities in Ontario - may pull me back there over the next year or two. If it weren't for this place and the growth I have achieved here, I would likely be dead from suicide, or possibly just homeless and fully insane on the verge of death. For being the place that allowed me to seek adequate treatment, get excellent supports, and even accepted to university (something I neverrr thought would happen), and therefore become a fully realized individual with a bright future, Calgary will always have a deeply special place in my heart, even if I leave.

Last edited:
Control Room Operator at a SAGD facility about an hour drive South/East of Fort McMurray.

Born and raised in Cochrane, moved to Calgary about 10 years ago.

I love my home city due to a litany of reasons but as a kid growing up in Cochrane I was always in awe driving into the big city and seeing the skyline and rolling hills covered in an ever growing blanket of homes. The proximity of the mountains obviously plays a big role in Calgary's beauty but I love how much Calgary punches above it's weight in a number of metrics, a topic @UrbanWarrior @darwink & @JonnyCanuck are much more eloquent at articulating than I am. Which is one of the reasons I love this site.

Urban planner, with a non-typical planner background in project management, data analysis, finance and economics.

Based in Calgary. Lived here most of my life.

I have always been interested in the pace of change that Calgary has had, particularly from the transition for big small city to small big city over the past 20 years. It's not simply that we are getting bigger and adding more stuff, it's that we are also evolving into something new that previously didn't exist - an truly "urban" place. Through that change there's lots of problems and frustrations to be solved but also lots of opportunity - the city isn't "set" yet. Calgary still feels like a place where individuals can make a difference here in big things like planning the future of the city but also in little things like just living urban and car-free in a place not typically known for it.

All that and the pathways system has kept me around. Truly the best asset we have ever created as a city :)

I'm a Jr. High math teacher with CSSD.
I'm a born and raised Calgarian and have no interest to ever leave. I'm quite passionate about my city and feel that it offers something for everyone. I've loved watching the city grow over my lifetime. There are some things we have lost that I wish we could get back, but there are other things we have gained that have made up for it. My current wish is for the East Village and Entertainment District to realize their full potential and become the hub of the city.

What you do for work: it's complicated :)

Where are you based: currently in Austin, TX after several years in Perth, WA and Seattle prior to that. Also live part time in Big Cottonwood, UT and Kihei, HI

Why Calgary: lived in Calgary from ages 5 to 16, 24 to 29, and part-time from 42 - 45. Completed one of my degrees at U of C. Don't have many personal connections to the city anymore, but still interested in its growth and development. Plus I'm contrarian and libertarian by construct, so always interested in frontier cities

This seems like a good place to ask

What's with the "characters" on 14st SW? There always seems to be some questionable folk strolling/limping/zombie walking around the area between 10 ave and 17 ave, ive just never been able to figure out why. Is there a drop-in centre in the area or something I dont know about?

I work in finance, and have been in Calgary since 1998 (Originally from Ottawa) I Moved to Calgary to be a with a girl, who is now my wife. I found it tough at first, being from a city that was much more progressive than Calgary was at that time, but Calgary has come a long ways in the last 23 years. Out of all the cities across Canada, I feel like Calgary has changed the most during that time, almost doing a 180.

This seems like a good place to ask

What's with the "characters" on 14st SW? There always seems to be some questionable folk strolling/limping/zombie walking around the area between 10 ave and 17 ave, ive just never been able to figure out why. Is there a drop-in centre in the area or something I dont know about?
Pretty sure there is a methadone clinic in the pharmacy on 11st and 14Ave.

Back