News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It really looks like nothing is going on in that location. The framing has been sitting for weeks with no sheetrock, which suggests to me that it will be quite a while before anything is ready.

It really looks like nothing is going on in that location. The framing has been sitting for weeks with no sheetrock, which suggests to me that it will be quite a while before anything is ready.

Maybe that's the industrial look they're going for? ;)

Does anyone know the proposed timing for further development in this area? The only actual construction going on is River City Phase 3, but there are a lot of empty lots where the plan says buildings will be going. I'm curious as to what the status is on these projects.

Thanks. It sounds like things are progressing, but it will be quite a while before further construction happens.

Spoke to the owner of Dark Horse yesterday, and the joint is going to open in September (things are well underway inside). For many of the other retailers, things are quite slow though, and apparently some haven't been able to obtain building permits yet.

Spoke to the owner of Dark Horse yesterday, and the joint is going to open in September (things are well underway inside). For many of the other retailers, things are quite slow though, and apparently some haven't been able to obtain building permits yet.

Makes you wonder if it would be wiser for them to wait till next Spring - not sure if opening at the end of summer is the best idea.

AoD

Tabulé restaurant is opening this Sunday, September 4.

I am very pleased. But I really do wonder if there is nearly enough density in this area yet to support restaurants.

Tabulé (or "Souk by Tabulé") has finally opened at Canary Park. It's a bit different than the other Tabulé restaurants, as its menu seems more oriented to sandwiches and all-day brunch. It is also counter service, although after ordering and paying the food is brought to your table. The meal we had was excellent (falafel sandwich and shakshouka, with labni and pita), and the price was quite reasonable. All told, it is a great addition to the neighborhood.

Souk/Tabulé was packed today, so I'd say the density is there. The only other place to eat of this quality nearby is Impact Kitchen; they've got a good thing going.

Incidentally, there have been enough people generally out and about the neighbourhood for the past month or so that I think it's safe to retire the "ghost town" rhetoric.

Yep, there are always people walking around the area when I'm out, and the influx of 500 George Brown residence students should also increase the on-street vibe. The area still has a not-quite-finished feel to it, but once all the retail spaces are filled (which should be relatively soon) and some of the remaining buildings go up (which is longer term), it will really be hopping.

TD bank now has signs up in the remaining available retail space at Canary District.

Back