News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Right now the Lakeshore (or specifically Lakeshore blvd) is split by roughly 300 feet of grass/median/parking/whatever. Realigning it means bringing the Eastbound lanes up north a little bit so that it runs right beside the Westbound lanes and allows that park/greenspace to become part of the lakefront.

And make the freaking place less confusing to drive on.

thanks for the clearification.

And yeah, in this case, I'm as excited as anyone else for this.

Pulling this very dormant thread back into the world more than 12 years later...........to avoid making a new one!

From City Planning's 2022 work program:

1641404669136.png

Note to MODS; why is this thread buried in politics? Other similar threads are in either 'buildings' or T&I.

A report to next week's Infrastructure and Environment Ctte follows up on the above with a proposed update/refresh of the plan next year......

An excellent use of funds considering the failure to deliver the majority of the last version of the plan over 13 years......

Perhaps we can once again come to agree on all those things we should do, but won't.

Last edited:
This is the bit that would interest you most:

View attachment 491489

IF you want more insight into what's being looked at..........the best I can do is point you here:

No, @Metroscapes is not working this file directly, so far as I know, LOL

But yes, his work did percolate...... and might inform what happens next.

I find this very interesting. It seems there's the "Western Waterfront Master Plan" only stretching to the Humber, and then this kind of broadens the definition of the "Western Waterfront". Given that TRCA is likely the main player on the eastern waterfront from a natural hazard perspective (Lake Ontario erosion hazard), it's good to see something to inch forward here.

Some things to note here.

"Extending public waterfront and trail access between Royal York Road and First Street."
  • The City's map shows 1-25 Lake Shore Drive actually have lakefront access secured in public hands, as part of Prince of Wales Park. But I can tell you it is not accessible; a fence separates the Second Street ROW and 25 Lake Shore.
  • Untitled 3.png
  • Untitled.png
  • There are additional parcels south of the Nautical Lane condos and 2677-2711 Lake Shore Blvd W. I'd be interested who owns the rights there.
  • That leaves 4 parcels that appear to own rights over the water. I'm curious how you overcome that.
  • Untitled 2.png

Windows on the Lake

I don't know what this is other than enhancing the roadway rights-of-way (five of them at Miles Rd, Lake Cr, 4th, 11th and 12th; six if you count Sand Beach Rd). I say don't bother spending the money unless you're going to stich them together.

----

Anyway, you can check out more at https://metroscapes.ca/toronto/projects/shoreline/etobicoke/

@rdaner this is a fine thread for this, though, strictly speaking, this is not part of the Master Plan works.

This is actually erosion-hazard management and repair of storm damage from the last big storm that flooded the Western Beaches.

The armourstone is there as shoreline hardening and protection for path above.

@rdaner this is a fine thread for this, though, strictly speaking, this is not part of the Master Plan works.

This is actually erosion-hazard management and repair of storm damage from the last big storm that flooded the Western Beaches.

The armourstone is there as shoreline hardening and protection for path above.
So how's that Master Plan from 2007 coming along? 🤣

One of the pix is of the breakwater. When I saw it I was reminded of an installation of Michael Snow’s digital ‘Walking Woman’ in Prague, similar to the one in front of the Rogers Building on Bloor East. The 3m high screen was set on a small rocky outcropping in the river and looks super sharp! I have looked for an image online but no luck.

Currently out with a consultant being 'refreshed' after virtually none of the original was delivered.

The consultant enrichment industry at work.
Do you have any insight into how that works? I'm assuming the 2007 plan was thoroughly thought out (as a result of consulting!) and possibly costed out for budget consideration. For what reasons were the plans not implemented, and why were these plans simply wasted when the funding to initiate and develop them had been spent? And why, after 15 long years, are long dormant plans being "refreshed"? What purpose does this serve other than to update the estimated costs of implementation, costs that, had they been spent in an appropriately swift time frame originally, would not have ballooned to whatever they are now? Who at city hall has the authority to approve fresh spending on such an exercise? I would love to know all this...

Do you have any insight into how that works? I'm assuming the 2007 plan was thoroughly thought out (as a result of consulting!) and possibly costed out for budget consideration. For what reasons were the plans not implemented, and why were these plans simply wasted when the funding to initiate and develop them had been spent? And why, after 15 long years, are long dormant plans being "refreshed"? What purpose does this serve other than to update the estimated costs of implementation, costs that, had they been spent in an appropriately swift time frame originally, would not have ballooned to whatever they are now? Who at city hall has the authority to approve fresh spending on such an exercise? I would love to know all this...

Before he was mayor..........what ward was David Miller the City Councillor for.............?

When did he leave office?

There, your answer.

Back