News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Hey Marco,

No, I didn't see an outlet of any kind in there.

Hey bloomingsmurf,

Does "the communication centre" have power plug in there? I need to put a device or two right where it is. I rather it is in the front closet instead on top of the closet where would be much harder to mess with, but well, I'm the unlucky ones that it is on the ceiling of a closet.

Hey fellow Greeners,

Now that I've moved in, there a few things that I've noticed that I thought might be helpful, or at least informative to the rest of you.

1) The hot water is not very hot. I'm sure this is a Norstar way of cheaping out on utilities but it also keeps maintenance fees low. Personally, I think the temp needs to be adjusted a bit towards the hotter end. I believe this will have to be an issue brought to the condo board though (when we have one). I'm not sure.

2) The outlets have a sort of odd layer that you have to break through the first time you plug something in. It feels like something crunchy behind the prong openings. Very weird! I highly recommend that everyone tries every outlet in their unit as there is already one outlet in mine whose barrier will not break so I can't plug anything into it. It's really odd!

3) Check all of your toilets and taps if there was no water when you had your PDI. One of my toilets keeps running so I had to shut off the water valve for that bathroom. Make sure you include stuff like that in your 30 Day Tarion form, especially since we weren't able to check for it during the PDI.

4) Drawers in the kitchen are SUPER narrow. I have been having a lot of difficulty finding a cutlery holder that will fit into them. I tried an adjustable one from IKEA but it was too long for the drawer.

That's all I can think of right now. If anything else crops up, I'll let you know.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thank you Nels_TO for the update :) I'm still waiting anxiously for the day to pick up my key, do they give you building access card yet? I know that the access module probably isn't installed yet. Also did they mention how many access card they can assign per unit? I'm still trying to figure out how I can wire all my rooms with network cable through the tubes, as Michael told me that they "should" have that feature on all rooms but I later found out from Tony that only the Living room and master bedroom would have network jacks.

hey marco

why would you wanna wire all the rooms with network cable,if you dont mind me asking,i can assume its not for the internet as you would just get wireless modem

Hi bloomingsmurf,

For your issues, I have some suggestions if you haven't try so.

1. Tony told me that the hot water isn't hot because there aren't a lot of people living in there yet, so the cold pipe would make it cooler than it should be, unless you let it run long enough for the hot water to heat up the pipe goes from source to your unit. I think he mentioned to let it run for 5-10 minutes to get hot enough water.

2. The outlet have some protective covering, it is intented to protect child from using metalic object to poke inside, Tony did mention that you have to "push quite hard" to get it in. When you unplug it, the cover should come back to its original location.

3. Since you've moved in, I think you could go downstairs to talk to Tony see if he could give you a quick check and see if it is easy to fix.

4. I guess we can do nothing much about this, maybe just buy a plastic/silicon mat and use the drawer itself as a cutlery holder. I measure almost everything when I'm purchase anything for my new condo, cause I know space is limited. Try measure the size of the drawer, and then you can shop for cultery holder that fits in the drawer.

Have fun decorating and fill up your own condo! :D I know I will when I moved in :)

Hey fellow Greeners,

Now that I've moved in, there a few things that I've noticed that I thought might be helpful, or at least informative to the rest of you.

1) The hot water is not very hot. I'm sure this is a Norstar way of cheaping out on utilities but it also keeps maintenance fees low. Personally, I think the temp needs to be adjusted a bit towards the hotter end. I believe this will have to be an issue brought to the condo board though (when we have one). I'm not sure.

2) The outlets have a sort of odd layer that you have to break through the first time you plug something in. It feels like something crunchy behind the prong openings. Very weird! I highly recommend that everyone tries every outlet in their unit as there is already one outlet in mine whose barrier will not break so I can't plug anything into it. It's really odd!

3) Check all of your toilets and taps if there was no water when you had your PDI. One of my toilets keeps running so I had to shut off the water valve for that bathroom. Make sure you include stuff like that in your 30 Day Tarion form, especially since we weren't able to check for it during the PDI.

4) Drawers in the kitchen are SUPER narrow. I have been having a lot of difficulty finding a cutlery holder that will fit into them. I tried an adjustable one from IKEA but it was too long for the drawer.

That's all I can think of right now. If anything else crops up, I'll let you know.

Cheers!

why would you wanna wire all the rooms with network cable,if you dont mind me asking,i can assume its not for the internet as you would just get wireless modem

Probably because a cable will be more secure, provide a faster connection and be cheaper.

Hey one eye wonder,

Well, in condo environment, there are so many people using wireless already, therefore the signal for wireless might not be ideal as everyone are using only a few channels. Another thing is wireless security, I'd rather wire it up than to let someone to try and hack into my wireless router. Wired is better than wireless regarding speed and reliability, as wireless speed could be affected by many different reason. If I have computer in 2 rooms, and I'd like to transfer a big file over the network, doing it through wireless would be a pain, however through wire it'll be done really fast.

Besides that, I try to reduce wireless usage as I have no idea if too much wireless devices in your condo would be harmful for your health or not.

hey marco

Hi doug, you explain it clear and simple LOL thanks.

Marco and Doug

Well if it's possible I'd rather do that also,I would like to connect my computer and my 360 together so I can stream movies/shows from my computer to my 360

Last edited:
Hi Marco,

Thanks for your suggestions.

1. Tony mentioned this to me too but my friend was washing dishes and the water was running for more than 10 mins so I think that's as hot as it gets. Plus, you can notice it in the shower too.

2. You definitely have to push hard but one outlet in one of my rooms is impossible to push through. I think the protective covering may be misaligned. Make sure to check.

3. Is he downstairs lately? I haven't seen him since my PDI. I will definitely ask him if I see him around.

4. The sillicone mat is a good idea! I will keep that one on file. :) You're right. It's just a matter of taking measurements which I didn't. LOL!

I'm already having fun decorating! I'm sure you'll have a blast too!

Hi bloomingsmurf,

For your issues, I have some suggestions if you haven't try so.

1. Tony told me that the hot water isn't hot because there aren't a lot of people living in there yet, so the cold pipe would make it cooler than it should be, unless you let it run long enough for the hot water to heat up the pipe goes from source to your unit. I think he mentioned to let it run for 5-10 minutes to get hot enough water.

2. The outlet have some protective covering, it is intented to protect child from using metalic object to poke inside, Tony did mention that you have to "push quite hard" to get it in. When you unplug it, the cover should come back to its original location.

3. Since you've moved in, I think you could go downstairs to talk to Tony see if he could give you a quick check and see if it is easy to fix.

4. I guess we can do nothing much about this, maybe just buy a plastic/silicon mat and use the drawer itself as a cutlery holder. I measure almost everything when I'm purchase anything for my new condo, cause I know space is limited. Try measure the size of the drawer, and then you can shop for cultery holder that fits in the drawer.

Have fun decorating and fill up your own condo! :D I know I will when I moved in :)

Hey fellow Greeners,

The outlets have a sort of odd layer that you have to break through the first time you plug something in. It feels like something crunchy behind the prong openings. Very weird! I highly recommend that everyone tries every outlet in their unit as there is already one outlet in mine whose barrier will not break so I can't plug anything into it. It's really odd!

Cheers!

I agree with bloom on the electrical outlets. I was testing each socket and had a really hard time on about a quarter of the outlets at first. Oddly enough, none of the electrical outlets worked in the bedrooms and hallway. I went to the electrical panel, and noticed that 2 of the breakers had been turned "OFF". Once I turned them back on, everything was working, except for one outlet in the kitchen. That protective seal is hard to break through ... you have to jiggle the plug's prongs to get them in just right.

About the access cards - if you need more than one card, you must make a written request to Norstar. If they approve, then you must pay them $100 per card, which is refundable. You can hand your written request to Alexandra. No timetable was given as to when you get approval.

Hi Bloomingsmurf,

For the outlet issue, as you described, I think you'll have to bug Tony lol.

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your suggestions.

1. Tony mentioned this to me too but my friend was washing dishes and the water was running for more than 10 mins so I think that's as hot as it gets. Plus, you can notice it in the shower too.

2. You definitely have to push hard but one outlet in one of my rooms is impossible to push through. I think the protective covering may be misaligned. Make sure to check.

3. Is he downstairs lately? I haven't seen him since my PDI. I will definitely ask him if I see him around.

4. The sillicone mat is a good idea! I will keep that one on file. :) You're right. It's just a matter of taking measurements which I didn't. LOL!

I'm already having fun decorating! I'm sure you'll have a blast too!

Hi Nels_TO,

Thanks for the information :) I definitely need to talk to them for the card. I'll check my unit when I moved in and I'll let you know if I have the same issue, since 2 of you have the same issue I guess I'll have the same issue too. I probably would change all those outlet anyways because some of them I like to have a build-in LED night light, and those in bathroom would have a timer for the fan (or with night light too). I'm thinking of to mount the TV on the wall, but not sure if we're allowed before final closing.

I agree with bloom on the electrical outlets. I was testing each socket and had a really hard time on about a quarter of the outlets at first. Oddly enough, none of the electrical outlets worked in the bedrooms and hallway. I went to the electrical panel, and noticed that 2 of the breakers had been turned "OFF". Once I turned them back on, everything was working, except for one outlet in the kitchen. That protective seal is hard to break through ... you have to jiggle the plug's prongs to get them in just right.

About the access cards - if you need more than one card, you must make a written request to Norstar. If they approve, then you must pay them $100 per card, which is refundable. You can hand your written request to Alexandra. No timetable was given as to when you get approval.

Hey Marco,

No, I didn't see an outlet of any kind in there.

Now that's just great isn't it... a hub for all the cat5 cables, but no power plugs for the router and NAS??? I'm going to need to figure out this networking thing too Marco if only the living and master has network jacks. At the very least, I suppose I can use a powerline network adapters but I'm not sure how well that will work in a condo.

Back