39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms Chow to you.

"@oliviachow Go after @DougFord2014 ! You're splitting the vote."
https://twitter.com/RosalinKrieger/status/520621089047584768

I bet the last thing FN wants is for Mrs Chow to drop out of the race. So why not play nice with her?
I always like reading your posts, Casita, but I have a bone to pick with you. Mrs Chow?

She is not married to a Mr Chow, and women in these days of Women's Liberation from being defined in relation to their husbands, prefer to me called, "Ms."

October 2014 Grammar Police Dog.gif

Attachments

• October 2014 Grammar Police Dog.gif
    October 2014 Grammar Police Dog.gif
    87.4 KB · Views: 849
Last edited:
Ooops < embarrassed > I didn't know that, K-G. Thanks! Ms. it is. :)
That's okay casita, you and I are both old enough to remember when the title "Ms." didn't exist. It seemed so revolutionary at the time, but so did a lot of things in the 70's.

Just watching the TVO debate and the Chow/Ford dynamic. It was noted back in the spring by someone on the thread when RoFo was meryl canidate, but still holds with DoFo...Chow and Ford need each other to stay in the race to have a chance, and in fact each wants the other to do well, but not well enough to win, in order to squeak past Tory. No wonder they shy away from attacking each other.

P.S. DoFo is such a total lying scumbag. Andray Domise puts it better than me.

Last edited:
That's okay casita, you and I are both old enough to remember when the title "Ms." didn't exist. It seemed so revolutionary at the time, but so did a lot of things in the 70's.

It manners of etiquette, I defer to Miss Manners. "...the default use of Ms., especially for business purposes, is championed by some etiquette writers, including Judith Martin (a.k.a. "Miss Manners").

"...the honorific "Ms.": Not to have to probe the marital status of ladies with whom one is only doing business. As one doesn't with gentlemen. Please use it."

"How and When To Use "Ms." in Business Correspondence

Plus, how to address an invitation to a same-sex couple."
http://web.archive.org/web/20120315...ationships/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8318992

Last edited:
Ari Goldkind is the candidate Olivia Chow should've been.

This. If people knew what he stood for, the dynamics of the polls would be totally different.

Sadly, at this point I think the best he can hope for is switching places with Chow, so that he would finish with 25% of the vote and Chow with 5%. His policies are too left to take any votes from Tory or Ford to win.

It manners of etiquette, I defer to Miss Manners. "...the default use of Ms., especially for business purposes, is championed by some etiquette writers, including Judith Martin (a.k.a. "Miss Manners").

"...the honorific "Ms.": Not to have to probe the marital status of ladies with whom one is only doing business. As one doesn't with gentlemen. Please use it."

http://web.archive.org/web/20120315...ationships/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8318992

I didn't see the exchange that prompted this but I'm guessing it has to do with Chow - who goes by her "maiden name" and so should be addressed as Ms. She is not "Mrs. Chow", to call her "Mrs." you'd have to use the surname Leyton, which she has chosen not to do. I always address women as Ms. unless I know that they prefer Mrs. (I hate, HATE the use of "ma'am" - it makes me feel about a million years old and I wish retail staff would be instructed never, ever to use it).

I wish we would just drop both Mrs. And Miss and only use ms. The only purpose of these titles is to refer to female marital status. There's no separate titles for single/divorced men. It's backwards and sexist that we still use these titles for women.

Rant over.

I didn't see the exchange that prompted this but I'm guessing it has to do with Chow - who goes by her "maiden name" and so should be addressed as Ms. She is not "Mrs. Chow", to call her "Mrs." you'd have to use the surname Leyton, which she has chosen not to do. I always address women as Ms. unless I know that they prefer Mrs. (I hate, HATE the use of "ma'am" - it makes me feel about a million years old and I wish retail staff would be instructed never, ever to use it).

I called her Mrs. Chow. I should have said Ms. Chow, and will from now on.

Sadly, in my expereince (based on discussions re: Ford and Chow) the idiot quotient among Chinese Canadians appears to be in line with that of the general population. I was surprised but maybe that was just me being racist.

If I may play the stereotype card for a moment, working in a very mixed ethnic neighbourhood I find the Chinese (or at least east Asian) are the most likely to have very limited English skills. I don't know if this is true in all parts of Toronto, but having a meet and greet at a community centre in a Chinese area of Scarborough may give her a much needed boost in the suburbs. She can address their concerns in their native tongue and point out the holes in Tory's and Ford's plans.

In my experience, the culture prides itself with a strong work ethic ("work like dogs" anyone?), and in general have a far lower "idiot" quota than other backgrounds and ethnicities - including European. At worst, their "idiot" comes out in taking their work ethic to the point of being overbearing, rather than willful ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back