News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm living on an island where there's a full-blown Type II diabetes epidemic due to the 'meat and three starches' diet. Fat people call themselves fat, have 'big & beautiful beauty contests', try to diet & fail, lose weight, gain weight, stay the same weight. We all talk about it. It's not fat-shaming, it's just an observation.

I have a few teachers/principals in the family. At one of the larger (by weight) schools it isn't uncommon for the increasingly rare skinny kids to be teased for being different. Of course, it doesn't help the thin kids have very low family income in a lower-middle class area (fat kids can't eat well, but they can eat).

One hates to be cynical but, lordy. Is it actually possible he sat there waiting for the verdict and then said, "Jeeze doc, that's great news you can operate. Phew! Also, my friend here is the Best Criminal Lawyer in Canada and he was wondering if, um, you could write a little note about this whole cancer thing and how I shouldn't be stressing myself in courtrooms and such....?"
My guess is Ford wanted that letter no matter what the result of the tests were. Maybe he spoke about it with the doctor beforehand and he said "bring your lawyer and we'll talk about it".

One hates to be cynical but, lordy. Is it actually possible he sat there waiting for the verdict and then said, "Jeeze doc, that's great news you can operate. Phew! Also, my friend here is the Best Criminal Lawyer in Canada and he was wondering if, um, you could write a little note about this whole cancer thing and how I shouldn't be stressing myself in courtrooms and such....?"

Yup, that's exactly how it played out, I knew hotmail lawyer was there for a reason. How can he be well enough to attend council meetings for the next few weeks but not testify in court?

While in the wake of the Brazen 2 investigation, some cynics have suggested that Detective Gary Giroux couldn't even catch a cold, I must say, based on his demenour in Courtroom 125 today, apparently he has . . . or maybe it's allergies.

While in the wake of the Brazen 2 investigation, some cynics have suggested that Detective Gary Giroux couldn't even catch a cold, I must say, based on his demenour in Courtroom 125 today, apparently he has . . . or maybe it's allergies.

Maybe he's really worried about Rob's health.

But karma sure does take her sweet time doesn't she? I expected the karma police to show up years ago, throw a sack over Rob & Doug and drag them off into the night but it never seems to happen.
quoted for
love2.gif

it could be meds if he took any steroids, but judging from how it looks now maybe he hasn't been able alter his crappy diet. You would think he'd be strongly encouraged to lose weight ahead of surgery.

there have been sightings at drive-thrus since the September diagnosis: Dairy Queen, Wendy's, Tim Hortons. sometimes I posted the tweets here, sometimes not. I can relate to the idea of being totally depressed about your prognosis, feeling crappy after the treatments and deciding that if a cheeseburger makes you 'feel better', you might as well have one. It may not be the 'correct' or healthy attitude to take when you're sick, but I think it's very human.

or, y'know, maybe he ordered a salad. :p

People keep saying that the Crown is trying to excuse Ford from testifying, but that's not what they're doing. They're simply asking that his testimony be delayed until September. Those are two very different things. And while they likely don't have to call him to get committal, it appears that they want to call him to see what he's going to say, since he hasn't cooperated with police.

There's nothing unusual or improper about the crown making the adjournment request on the witness' behalf. That's how it's done. Always.

But... surely they realize he may not be alive then? :confused: They are risking losing his testimony forever.

But... surely they realize he may not be alive then? :confused: They are risking losing his testimony forever.

This is my thought. I'm not a criminal lawyer, so whatthe can correct me, but my recollection from law school is that testimony from a preliminary hearing may be admissible at trial if that witness has passed on and therefore there is no other way to get that witness' testimony. However, I might be confusing this with the general rules for exceptions to hearsay.

So even though this is under pub ban are we allowed to go pick up transcripts of the testimonies?

Even if it is possible (I don't know the rules around transcripts at prelims), it's not cheap. Transcripts aren't automatically generated and put in a file. You have to pay for the pages, and the costs add up quickly (unless one of the lawyers has a transcript and is willing to let you make a copy.)

Anyone else surprised Towhey is having success in politics again running Brown's campaign? I thought he'd be tainted by all of Ford's scandals and no one would want to work with him.

Blame Etobicoke!

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/1...ection-because-theyre-not-bright-in-etobicoke

Thanks a lot, Etobicoke.

Bad apples spoiling the bunch is one thing — but Etobioke’s failure to properly supervise a simple election four years ago may add up to the most expensive case of incompetence in Canadian history, their rotten work literally tarnishing the voting system for all.

How expensive?

In Alberta, the fallout from the Toronto suburb’s ballot buffoonery in 2011 will add up to nearly $10 million in 2015, after the Prentice Tories called a general provincial election for May 5, the first since Etobicoke’s mistakes ended up in Canada’s Supreme Court.

“There’s a number of new initiatives that were taken into effect as a result of the Supreme Court decision, where they’d challenged the outcome of an election based on the poor quality of work done by the election officials, like not taking the oath properly or filling out forms properly,” said Drew Westwater of Elections Alberta.

“As a result of that Supreme Court case we’ve doubled the amount of training we provide to our staff in Alberta.”

Just three years ago, the same election cost Albertans $13.6 million.

In 2015 the election is slated to cost $23.5 million, out of the $28 million set aside by the provincial government in anticipation of the May vote.

Thanks so much, Etobicoke.

Problems in the west Toronto riding started after the May 2011 federal election, which saw Conservative MP Ted Opitz squeak past Liberal MP Borys Wrzesnewskyj by a 26 vote margin, spurring the loser to challenge the result over voting irregularities.

The court heard evidence of people being allowed to vote who weren’t on the list, and others casting votes in ridings where they didn’t live, and various other examples of ineptitude blamed on poor training of volunteers and temporary elections workers.

Ultimately, the Supreme Court let Opitz keep his seat, while pressuring Elections Canada to sort out the clerical errors that caused the whole kerfuffle.

Of course, that will mean more expensive federal elections too, and a report from the Parliamentary Budget Officer last month estimated a national vote later this year will cost Canadians $376 million, an increase of about 20 percent over 2011, which totalled $291 million.

But a chunk of that extra 20% expense is due to an extra 30 ridings on the electoral map, making the near 100% increase in the Elections Alberta budget for the same 87 ridings and only 13,000 more registered voters over last time appear excessive.

Westwater puts the extra $10 million down to increased training hours, a new online training program, and extra workers.

“We’ve doubled the amount of training we provide, we’ve developed and built an online training program to supplement the classroom, and we’re training everybody in advance now, not just certain officials,” said Westwater.

“We’re giving everyone two-and-a-half hours of classroom training, plus the online session, which is about an hour.”

As well, Westwater says there is more staff at each polling station, “to help electors get through the process quickly, and to ensure the work is done accurately and correctly.”

He says Etobicoke’s errors have Alberta determined to improve the voting system at home, to ensure no voting result is ever tainted by similar accusations.

“The ramification is, it has improved the quality of work being done,” said Westwater.

“You’re talking about people who work one day every four years, and human error does creep in — we’re trying to eliminate it.”

Of course, any time costs double to the tune of $10 million, you’re going to have questions — and Scott Hennig, director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, says the extra expense does raise eyebrows.

“It does seem like a large increase, just for training — especially when you only have a small increase in the number of voters and no new ridings,” he said.

The same sentiments will likely be echoed across the province, but ultimately citizens have to trust Elections Alberta that $10 million is the cost of avoiding a messy legal battle like the one in west Toronto.

At what cost voter confidence? It’s an expensive question forced on the whole country by incompetence in one federal riding.

Thanks a lot, Etobicoke.

Last edited:
Even if it is possible (I don't know the rules around transcripts at prelims), it's not cheap. Transcripts aren't automatically generated and put in a file. You have to pay for the pages, and the costs add up quickly (unless one of the lawyers has a transcript and is willing to let you make a copy.)

There's nothing stopping you from having coffee with someone who has been in the room as long as nobody publishes anything.

Guess a "death-bed" testimony (or confession) might be acceptable.

So who exactly wants Robbie to testify? Seems the cops have given him a pass on a slew of drunk driving charges, where a search of his car would probably have turned up other incriminating evidence, all well documented in the Brazen 2 ITOs. Then the OPP was put in charge of the case only to shut it down. And the Crown basically decided "there's nothing here folks". And TPS maintained that the investigation as still "on-going".

So who wants to call Robbie in to give him a chance to perjure himself? The Fords are bullet-proof.

My money's on Jude. Maybe the best we can hope for is that the Bozo Brothers have a time out from political life for, well, corruption. That would be justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back