News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

More spending is exactly what's needed unless you think we should just let our infrastructure crumble. I'm not saying that Chow's plan is great (because it's isn't), but lets not forget which candidate wants the city to borrow billions for the dumbtrack and it's phoney financing scheme, and still support the future white elephant subway line in Scarborough. Anyone who claims to be a fiscal conservative does not get my vote, because they are always the exact opposite.

In this election there appears to be an inverse relationship between how fiscally conservative a candidate claims to be and how fiscally conservative they really are ;)

Putting first past the post to rest wnded with the overwhelming results of the most recent Ontario referendum.

The mixed member proportional representation that they put forward was awful and would have resulted in unelected MPPs having the same voice as elected members. Had they proposed a simple ranked ballot system within each riding similar to what is being proposed going forward for the municipal elections, I think it it would have gained much more traction with the voters.

New polling:

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...oug_ford_by_six_points_olivia_chow_by_16.html

Still too close for comfort. I think there's a real possibility that Doug Ford could sneak up the middle on this one.

Only mildly surprised to see Tory leading in Old Toronto and East York. Thought Chow would be doing better there with a subway line proposed for them. Really surprised to see a neck-and-neck race in Scarborough, with Scarborough being a big beneficiary of Smart Track. And even more surprised to see Tory leading in Etobicoke and Ford leading in North York. It's bizzaro world.

The mixed member proportional representation that they put forward was awful and would have resulted in unelected MPPs having the same voice as elected members. Had they proposed a simple ranked ballot system within each riding similar to what is being proposed going forward for the municipal elections, I think it it would have gained much more traction with the voters.

I would have supported preferential voting or single transferable votes. Hard to support MMP when it simply creates more unelected members who are only beholden to their party (and more likely their leader). I saw that as a further entrenchment of party politics in our democracy.

The citizen's assembly focused too much on how difficult voting would be under any ranked ballot system. That led them to conclude that they needed a voting system that stayed the same and would then balance the democratic deficit with additional seats. They didn't foresee that not too many voters would be happy with the creation of unelected seats in the legislature.

I don't really agree, inasmuch as the government more or less ensured that whatever proposal emerged was to be stillborn. I'm still not clear why open lists were not proposed - an obvious and easy modification - nor why regional lists didn't enter the picture.

What was worse was the ridiculous supermajority of 60% required to pass. The same applied in BC when the STV proposal managed nearly but not quite 60%.

In any case, I favour an MMP system wth open regional lists. It was certainly a big problem that a "closed" list was proposed.

New polling:

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...oug_ford_by_six_points_olivia_chow_by_16.html

Still too close for comfort. I think there's a real possibility that Doug Ford could sneak up the middle on this one.

Only mildly surprised to see Tory leading in Old Toronto and East York. Thought Chow would be doing better there with a subway line proposed for them. Really surprised to see a neck-and-neck race in Scarborough, with Scarborough being a big beneficiary of Smart Track. And even more surprised to see Tory leading in Etobicoke and Ford leading in North York. It's bizzaro world.

I wouldn't give much credibility to a forum poll. Even the article states that "Forum’s North York results have fluctuated wildly". In reality, I believe that Tory has a much wider lead, that Doug is not nearly as popular, and that Chow remains in third place or tied with Doug. At least that's what other polling firms have predicted.

Sure, but are you willing to risk a vote for Chow just to satisfy your personal desire for moral satisfaction? What if the polls are wrong in the opposite direction?

In this election there appears to be an inverse relationship between how fiscally conservative a candidate claims to be and how fiscally conservative they really are ;)

In every election that I have taken the time to inform myself about. The Bush years in U.S. did more to raise national debt than any administration this century. No social programs just expensive unwinnable wars.

Sure, but are you willing to risk a vote for Chow just to satisfy your personal desire for moral satisfaction? What if the polls are wrong in the opposite direction?

Personally I think Chow had the opportunity and blew it with her past and continued mis-positioning. That said, I am curious to think of how others felt about the the what-if scenario of Chow being in the lead and the supportability of her candidacy by the centre-right voters.

AoD

First, let's recall that this election started with Chow in the lead. Seems like the more she talks, the lower she goes. That implies that either the voters don't like her or her platform.

Next, I would hardly count Doug Ford as centre-right.

Personally I think Chow had the opportunity and blew it with her past and continued mis-positioning. That said, I am curious to think of how others felt about the the what-if scenario of Chow being in the lead and the supportability of her candidacy by the centre-right voters.

AoD

I think she was and is a bad communicator. Keith you are correct but notice she was leading until everyone started paying attention to the debates. Alvin, I think the same thing would happen that is happening with Tory. People so badly wanted her to win.

AoD

FWIW, I was very much an anti-Ford vote, and I would have voted for Chow or Tory or a lamp, depending on who was leading in the last polls.

I'm still gobsmacked by (a) right-leaning posters who call Ford 'centre-right' and have a scorched earth policy towards Chow and (b) left-leaning posters who wouldn't vote for the devil John Tory, 'cause, you know, horns. And he's just Ford in sheep's clothing.

I'm hoping that, outside of our little sandbox/hothouse, both sides are much more reasonable in their opinions and it's just part of the forum/anonymity thing.

FWIW, I was very much an anti-Ford vote, and I would have voted for Chow or Tory or a lamp, depending on who was leading in the last polls.

I'm still gobsmacked by (a) right-leaning posters who call Ford 'centre-right' and have a scorched earth policy towards Chow and (b) left-leaning posters who wouldn't vote for the devil John Tory, 'cause, you know, horns. And he's just Ford in sheep's clothing.

I'm hoping that, outside of our little sandbox/hothouse, both sides are much more reasonable in their opinions and it's just part of the forum/anonymity thing.
It's definitely the the forum thing. But I want to say I would have voted for Chow if she was leading.

I think she was and is a bad communicator. Keith you are correct but notice she was leading until everyone started paying attention to the debates. Alvin, I think the same thing would happen that is happening with Tory. People so badly wanted her to win.

I believe she was lost at the Cancer diagnosis. She was whaling on Rofo til then . After that she didnt know how to act. She (and her team one supposes) decided to play nice with cancer boy. Then the polls (the real ones we don't t get to see) told her Doug was not a real threat so she went easy on him and started riding Tory, her only perceived threat. Along come Ari spouting true leftist ideals in a palatable (to the left) way and the contrast was stark. No Olivia there are no coronation s. The whole mess makes me sad.

Back