News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think we've all seen this in the budget but I guess the Stollery CEO made a public announcement on it so it's making the rounds on the news. Where was this money back in 2019 when the Stollery was initially asking for a stand alone building? I can't stand politicians, it's insanity how they use a CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL as a political chess piece. Makes my ****ing skin crawl.

Understandable given the politics. Odd considering Edmonton is the land forces Western area HQ
I gather the likely choice for this is Halifax, which btw is nicely located on the Atlantic. That would be what the A in NATO is for, but hey it is a silly time in Alberta politics with the approaching election.

I think we've all seen this in the budget but I guess the Stollery CEO made a public announcement on it so it's making the rounds on the news. Where was this money back in 2019 when the Stollery was initially asking for a stand alone building? I can't stand politicians, it's insanity how they use a CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL as a political chess piece. Makes my ****ing skin crawl.
This is a cheap and easy promise - lest we forget, all that has actually been committed to is $3 million for planning.

I gather the likely choice for this is Halifax, which btw is nicely located on the Atlantic. That would be what the A in NATO is for, but hey it is a silly time in Alberta politics with the approaching election.
it might also be worth noting that canada is the sovereign signatory member of nato and alberta’s continuous bleating about unfair treatment and threatening to leave isn’t likely to be looked at any more favourably by nato than it is by ottawa…

Sooo…

“Alberta is calling and people are heeding the call,” Smith practically crowed in the legislature last week [as reported by David Staples].

“There are so many great things about Alberta, aren't there? Highest average wages of any province. Highest workforce participation rate of any province. Lowest taxes in Canada. No provincial sales tax. Almost 100,000 jobs waiting to be filled. Canada's fastest-growing economy. Canada's strongest job creator. We're calling it the renewed Alberta advantage for a reason, and we'll be telling them the most beautiful province in Confederation — that's what we are — is a place that they can afford a great lifestyle.”

Perhaps Danielle would also like to comment on a not-so-great lifestyle that sees a doctor lose more than one in eight of his patients in the past three years alone along with having to perform countless unnecessary amputations… This is the price of balancing that budget with the lowest taxes in Canada and no provincial sales tax. 😞

Understandable given the politics. Odd considering Edmonton is the land forces Western area HQ
I personally think it's pretty underestimated how much strategic value Edmonton has. It's home to a CSIS branch, runs the Flight Information Region for most of the Arctic (as well as being a major logistics centre for the region), has a military base next door as well as being much closer to CFB Cold Lake. Major oil refinery centre and healthcare hub. Flight times would be shorter from Europe as well compared to Calgary.

Edmonton would be a very solid choice for some sort of NATO office, especially as the Arctic becomes more important with climate change.

I personally think it's pretty underestimated how much strategic value Edmonton has. It's home to a CSIS branch, runs the Flight Information Region for most of the Arctic (as well as being a major logistics centre for the region), has a military base next door as well as being much closer to CFB Cold Lake. Major oil refinery centre and healthcare hub. Flight times would be shorter from Europe as well compared to Calgary.

Edmonton would be a very solid choice for some sort of NATO office, especially as the Arctic becomes more important with climate change.
Ya that makes sense especially given that Edmonton not Calgary is the military and defense zone for Alberta/Western Canada. Except the logic doesn't fit the whole UCP/Calgary centric M.O. The UCP under Kenney and certainly now under Smith have been working very very hard to attract anything and everything to downtown Calgary. If the World Clown Association (yes that's a real thing https://worldclown.com/) announced it was looking for a new head office the UCP would do everything possible it could to court it.

Ironically, the World Clown Association could also be easily mistaken for another name for the UCP.

Ya that makes sense especially given that Edmonton not Calgary is the military and defense zone for Alberta/Western Canada. Except the logic doesn't fit the whole UCP/Calgary centric M.O. The UCP under Kenney and certainly now under Smith have been working very very hard to attract anything and everything to downtown Calgary. If the World Clown Association (yes that's a real thing https://worldclown.com/) announced it was looking for a new head office the UCP would do everything possible it could to court it.

Ironically, the World Clown Association could also be easily mistaken for another name for the UCP.
Oh we're used to being ignored and kicked around by provincial politicians. At least with Klein the favoritism while not fair made some sense, he was the Mayor or Calgary for quite a while.

Smith wasn't even the Mayor of High River or wherever she hangs out now.

In a speech to Calgary chamber of commerce today, the provincial government announced they are pushing very hard to have downtown Calgary selected as a NATO regional office since Canada is being looked at for one.

Federal government prefers Halifax.

"Wrote a long letter" to the Feds. Where's the "long letter" to the Feds with "Edmonton" in the name? Oh that's right, YYC's DT is only of upmost importance to the UCP's.

Someone is leaving the Danielle Smith show:

toews is not alone in not running in the next election under the smith banner. this is the list as of today:

Sonya Savage, Calgary-North West, resigning

Travis Toews, Grande Prairie-Wapiti, resigning

Richard Gotfried, Calgary-Fish Creek, resigning

Tracy Allard, Grande Prairie, resigning

Jason Kenney, Calgary-Lougheed, resigned seat in November 2022

Tany Yao, Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo, lost nomination

Dave Hanson, Bonnyville-Cold Lake-St. Paul, lost nomination

Brad Rutheford, Leduc-Beaumont, resigning

Rajan Sawhney, Calgary-North East, resigning

Roger Reid, Livingstone-McLeod, resigning

Pat Rehn, Lesser Slave Lake, resigning

Ron Orr, Lacombe-Ponoka, resigning