News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

it would seem danielle is allowing if not outright encouraging the far right “take back alberta” pac to take control of the party.

i always thought that was rather a silly name - who do they think “took” alberta and where do they think it was taken to?

and who do they plan to give it to after they take it back?

toews is not alone in not running in the next election under the smith banner. this is the list as of today:

Sonya Savage, Calgary-North West, resigning

Travis Toews, Grande Prairie-Wapiti, resigning

Richard Gotfried, Calgary-Fish Creek, resigning

Tracy Allard, Grande Prairie, resigning

Jason Kenney, Calgary-Lougheed, resigned seat in November 2022

Tany Yao, Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo, lost nomination

Dave Hanson, Bonnyville-Cold Lake-St. Paul, lost nomination

Brad Rutheford, Leduc-Beaumont, resigning

Rajan Sawhney, Calgary-North East, resigning

Roger Reid, Livingstone-McLeod, resigning

Pat Rehn, Lesser Slave Lake, resigning

Ron Orr, Lacombe-Ponoka, resigning

Leela Aheer, Chestermere-Strathmore, resigning

Mark Smith, Drayton Valley-Devon, resigning

Doug Schweitzer, Calgary-Elbow, resigned seat in August 2022

That's quite a list. You would think (hope) those resignations (many after just one term) should have some impact and cause some pause among conservative voters in Calgary especially in conjunction with this Take Back Alberta group and its influence on the UCP and Smith.

Good week for the NDP as in conjunction with this they announce a well received financial plan for the province with a strong team of advisors.

it would seem danielle is allowing if not outright encouraging the far right “take back alberta” pac to take control of the party.

i always thought that was rather a silly name - who do they think “took” alberta and where do they think it was taken to?

and who do they plan to give it to after they take it back?
I'm not quite sure who they think took Alberta, but I suspect they don't plan to give it to anyone after they take it back. They want to be in control of it.

I believe they consider Smith one of them, although she can be ambiguous on her positions at times and they can unexpectedly change. I suppose if the latter happens they will want to take it back from her.

The difference between Edmonton and Calgary's metro population is not that big (around 100,000) on over 1.5 million, which surprisingly few people out province realize.

This would be like comparing Seattle and Vancouver. Last time I checked, which was sometime ago Seattle was a bit bigger than Vancouver by a similar amount.

I think the population difference only translates into a few more constituencies out of over 80. It is not the reason. The real reason is the UCP is not competitive in Edmonton (1 seat only which they may lose) and they are in a number of likely close races in Calgary.

Will see what happens in the Alberta 2023 provincial election 🗳,as is going to be interesting.

I am in the Edmonton-Rutherford provincial riding in YEG. And in the 2019 Alberta provincial election when UCP won, I was away in China 🇨🇳for spring trip✈️ & (didn’t vote), which I’m able to as I am a Canadian citizen in Canada 🇨🇦 about 30+ years.

This is upcoming Alberta election, I will go vote.

Last edited:
Sticking her neck our for her redneck, rural, uneducated pastor-type friends. Geez, did she think that was the only audience she needed votes from? What ignorance! I guess a BA from the UofC doesn't really count as a degree I guess?

Sooo...

The Premier's Tweet says that "...in an effort to continue their campaign of defamatory attacks against me, my office staff, Alberta Crown Prosecutors, and the Alberta Public Service, the CBC intends to release an article about a conversation I had...".

Since when is the CBC's reporting on and releasing a recorded copy of what the Premier actually said in that conversation "a defamatory attack"?

It might be a lot of things - not the least of which should be extremely embarrassing - but her own words recorded as she said them certainly leaves no room for misquoting by the CBC.

In what alternate universe can an individual - Premier or not - seriously consider their very own statements to be defamatory against them? The CBC making them public might well be damaging personally and politically but that doesn't make their reporting defamatory.

Smith just lost the election for the UCP. She ought to resign immediately and head for the wilderness where she should stay.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of folks that are just seeing this as “the woke leftist media trying to take her down!”

I find it funny when articles or politicians say things like "we can't afford this right now" in the middle of posting record surpluses. If we can't afford it now, there is no way we can afford it anytime in the future. Lol.

Back