News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

This a quite a strange election for Alberta. We don't see too many actually competitive two-way left vs. right races (with no vote splitting left or right). 1993 is the only one I can remember. And even that one was still a pretty easy win for Klein.

A friend of mine who is a political science major and loves campaigns feels the NDP should be playing up the Nazi comment huge - similar to what Trump did to Hillary Clinton when she called his supporters 'deplorables' which really rallied his support whenever he mentioned it, which was a lot. There were even shirts and hats.
Are you a Nazi? Did you get the vaccine? Are you a Nazi, too? Not saying the NDP should go to that extreme in terms of clothing, but he figures that needs to be kept top of mind, but isn't so far. It's already fading away like the NDP support, according to some polls.

All these videos of Smith seem to be rallying her people, and apparently there are many still.

Will Notley hit that hard in the debate?

A friend of mine who is a political science major and loves campaigns feels the NDP should be playing up the Nazi comment huge - similar to what Trump did to Hillary Clinton when she called his supporters 'deplorables' which really rallied his support whenever he mentioned it, which was a lot. There were even shirts and hats.
Are you a Nazi? Did you get the vaccine? Are you a Nazi, too? Not saying the NDP should go to that extreme in terms of clothing, but he figures that needs to be kept top of mind, but isn't so far. It's already fading away like the NDP support, according to some polls.

All these videos of Smith seem to be rallying her people, and apparently there are many still.

Will Notley hit that hard in the debate?
I sure wouldn't let Smith or the UCP forget about or try dismiss that comment, although there are so many things she has said - they risk becoming a distraction from other things.

I feel the things that are most relevant to people are probably things like health care or affordability. How kooky your opponent is, is an issue, but its not the only one.

Sooo…

“…Smith broadly dismissed the resurfacing of past statements from herself and other candidates, charging the NDP are using those comments to distract from their own record.”

Past statements from long ago?

Past statements from September 1, 2022 - apparently a long time in Smith’s world but certainly not a long time in the real world.

This is no one-off “lake of fire” - this is the second UCP candidate to express the same odious delusions. Not extremists who happen to be party members but party candidates selected in ridings considered to be safe seats for the UCP.

If Smith and her candidates feel a need to hide from their own records because those records are “distracting”, they have no business wanting to hold public office and we should have no business electing them.

We spend our lives building our reputations on the things we consistently say and do every day. In the same vein, our elected officials need to be held accountable for the things they consistently say and do every day.

And the only way to hold them accountable is not to vote for them if they haven’t consistently demonstrated that they have earned that vote.

We need to send this lot home, not to the legislature.

I wonder if UCP Candidate (for Lacombe-Ponoka) Jennifer Johnson is interested in making some of these:
1684375516931.jpeg

So Jennifer Johnson now says:

"This is an extremely sensitive topic for so many and I need to do a much better job communicating my concerns and objectives in a manner that is respectful to teachers, parents and those in the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.”

"If elected as an MLA, I will seek advice and counsel on how to best communicate my views and discuss these issues meaningfully moving forward."

Which isn’t really the same as saying “I no longer have concerns or objectives that are odious and no longer hold odious views that my party and my leader are prepared to condone” is it?

She didn’t say she doesn’t still consider some people including some children to be the equivalent of feces, just that she needs to communicate those thoughts more gently and meaningfully.

How do you say WTF more gently and meaningfully?

Send them all home on May 29!

This a quite a strange election for Alberta. We don't see too many actually competitive two-way left vs. right races (with no vote splitting left or right). 1993 is the only one I can remember. And even that one was still a pretty easy win for Klein.
It shouldn't have been. If I recall correctly the Liberals were actually ahead in the polls until Laurence Decore made an ill-advised comment about access to abortion. It became enormously controversial and an unnecessary distraction to the Liberal campaign. Even Decore's wife and his daughter publicly distanced themselves from his position. Klein responded by saying that abortion was "a matter between a woman, her doctor and God." After that his party started to pull away and ended up winning a pretty decisive majority.

2012 wasn't the first time a front-running campaign was derailed by a "bozo eruption."

So Jennifer Johnson now says:

"This is an extremely sensitive topic for so many and I need to do a much better job communicating my concerns and objectives in a manner that is respectful to teachers, parents and those in the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.”

"If elected as an MLA, I will seek advice and counsel on how to best communicate my views and discuss these issues meaningfully moving forward."

Which isn’t really the same as saying “I no longer have concerns or objectives that are odious and no longer hold odious views that my party and my leader are prepared to condone” is it?

She didn’t say she doesn’t still consider some people including some children to be the equivalent of feces, just that she needs to communicate those thoughts more gently and meaningfully.

How do you say WTF more gently and meaningfully?

Send them all home on May 29!

So the gist of it seems to be she affirms still essentially holds the same opinions, but in the future will try not to use a word quite as offensive? It seems more like a non apology apology.

Back