News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

you mean the giant neon ad signs that are part of yonge/dundas square? They are actually on top of an old deserted bank building at the northwest corner arent they ? That old building really needs to be cleaned up and made into something useful itself!

anybody mention The Atrium on Bay? It would probably blend in quite nicely along the airport strip, but why did they have to take up an entire block right in the middle of downtown? It creates a giant hole in the skyline...

At least when its time comes, and it will, it's unlikely that anyone will be clammering to save it.

thanks Andrea, I'll have to have a closer look at that next time I am in that area. Last time I had a look was when I was there in April when Yonge St was closed off for a street festival and it looked empty to me... pretty ugly I thought.

I think it was empty then - during the change over from Gap to Forever 21.

I always think they've done a good job on that building. I think the stainless trim that they added works well with the original limestone. And they save the Bank of Nova Scotia seal on the facade, which is pretty, what with its fish and thistles.

you mean the giant neon ad signs that are part of yonge/dundas square? They are actually on top of an old deserted bank building at the northwest corner arent they ? That old building really needs to be cleaned up and made into something useful itself!

Are you sure the media tower is on the old BNS building and not on the bit of Atrium that extends to Yonge? I've been by there a milion times but I guess I always look at the tower and not where it is - guess it works. I ask because I wonder if the older building would be structural strong enough to support such a heavy tower

Are you sure the media tower is on the old BNS building and not on the bit of Atrium that extends to Yonge? I've been by there a milion times but I guess I always look at the tower and not where it is - guess it works. I ask because I wonder if the older building would be structural strong enough to support such a heavy tower

On page 113 of the TLS thread scroll to the bottom & there's an image by 3Dementia which gives the N/W media tower better perspective as to where it's located

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=637&page=113

Here's a fresh nominee, that 2-story brick lump at the SE corner of Dundas + Chestnut. It makes me wish back that space-framed gas station it replaced; at least it had some kind of positive architectural POV, believe it or not...

I think a certain someone has already alluded to its destruction - at least on another thread.

The old bank building is part of the Atrium complex anyways.

The media tower is actually on the older building directly north of the old bank. Is that where the Piccadilly Circus used to be?

No, the Piccadilly Tube stood where the Atrium now meets Yonge, at the SW corner of Yonge + Edward.

Not sure how "older" the buildings (Guess et al) are btw/the bank and the Atrium; there were older-looking buildings here, but they were largely if not completely spec-rebuilt in the 80s/90s...

Back