News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

“More advertising”? Is that a joke? More advertising is the thing that this area needs by far the least. It's already inundated with advertising, making any events there (like the proroguing protest) seem more like live-action commercials than protests/etc. I wonder if Dundas Square's explosion of advertising would have been allowed without the precedent set by Times Square? Dundas Square seems to justify itself by the existence of Times Square; people accept its consumerism-run-amock aesthetic because it was glorified in New York first.

I don't mind the advertising or quantity of it, the location is appropriate but the quality of some of the ad panels could be more animated and captivating. My problem is the crap that has built in this area in the past ten years, Yonge-Dundas Square and the Ryerson complex on Dundas West excepted. Luckily as one moves further north and south the street continues to engage.

I really fail to see how this building they've moved into is captivating anyone at all. The roof is horrible with the mechanical exposed, and the colour of the building is so cold.

For everyones info,

'Olympic Spirit' is doing what it was intended to do back when it was built. The Vancouver Olympics are being aired at Dundas Square all day from the screen on the torch, and CityTV has giant speakers set up on the building so you can listen to it all. I didn't see a single person watching, but it was nice to see.

I find it funny though that Rogers is airing CTV coverage of the games on their own building.

I really fail to see how this building they've moved into is captivating anyone at all. The roof is horrible with the mechanical exposed, and the colour of the building is so cold.

It's a mess on so many levels, albeit not as bad as it was before, but marginally improved. That's not saying much. I had great confidence in the beginning when renovations began, all but dispersed now. I'm glad the stage blocks the view when it's being used, poo on them for cheaping out.

For everyones info,

'Olympic Spirit' is doing what it was intended to do back when it was built. The Vancouver Olympics are being aired at Dundas Square all day from the screen on the torch, and CityTV has giant speakers set up on the building so you can listen to it all. I didn't see a single person watching, but it was nice to see.

I find it funny though that Rogers is airing CTV coverage of the games on their own building.

I noticed that yesterday, not a soul was watching the screen. It didn't occur to me that it was a CTV feed though, how funny is that?

It's a mess on so many levels, albeit not as bad as it was before, but marginally improved. That's not saying much. I had great confidence in the beginning when renovations began, all but dispersed now. I'm glad the stage blocks the view when it's being used, poo on them for cheaping out.

Honestly, how hard is it for them to make the top level windows and cladding all black so they coordinate with the ground level, and then clad the torch base in blue or green or purple? It'll never be a Gehry but at least that would go a long way in redeeming it.

“More advertising”? Is that a joke? More advertising is the thing that this area needs by far the least. It's already inundated with advertising, making any events there (like the proroguing protest) seem more like live-action commercials than protests/etc. I wonder if Dundas Square's explosion of advertising would have been allowed without the precedent set by Times Square? Dundas Square seems to justify itself by the existence of Times Square; people accept its consumerism-run-amock aesthetic because it was glorified in New York first.
You'll find that every conceivable variation of this argument has been exhausted in the Toronto Life Square thread around 2007-2008. But thanks anyway for the blast from the past.

Last edited:
I was finally able to uncover what's going on and what we can expect. As we know, Rogers decided to dramatically cut their budget for their production stations which resulted in laying off a large portion of CityTV staff including many of the on-air talent. Rogers is currently restructuring their assets so most all expansion projects were put on hold -- including this building and the 24 hour news station. The good news is that once the restructuring is complete, CityTV and OMNI should see a return of some of their budget which will see the completion of their HQ and the CityNews channel launched by fall 2010.

Back