News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The building looks bad and I do not think any future design elements will save this building

It has plenty of potential but it would take a lot of money to dramatically improve the exterior. It also has the handicap of being buried in behind Yonge-Dundas Square greatly reducing it's profile which is quite a contrast to City's former digs on Queen West.

Ted Rogers had an ambitious vision for this place. With him gone, the champion for a dynamic, worthy of being the "public face" for Rogers' stations went along with him.

Hopefully, somebody at Rogers (now or in the future) will realize the potential of this site.

Interesting post from Mondoville
http://www.mondoville.com/

In the centre of everything [Gord Martineau, Broadcast Dialogue]: The surviving anchor of CityNews At Six divulges his role in helping new Citytv owner Ted Rogers relocate to the former Olympic Spirit building at Yonge-Dundas Square a few months before his passing — Martineau had a friend who owns a business in the area, and was tipped off to the fact that Google were on the verge of buying the building, and leasing out what they didn’t need. While there was some talk of moving Citytv further down the same road — somewhere around the Drake Hotel — after CTV started the process of evicting them from 299 Queen Street West, it was Martineau who convinced Ted to move elsewhere: “We have to take it to the next level,” he recalls saying. “Do something extraordinary … make a really bold statement that shows we are on the leading edge of what’s next.” And last night, when the Team Canada hockey victory erupted in said square just before 6 p.m., the station aired no live pictures — having cancelled weekend newscasts in January.

In the centre of everything [Gord Martineau, Broadcast Dialogue]: The surviving anchor of CityNews At Six divulges his role in helping new Citytv owner Ted Rogers relocate to the former Olympic Spirit building at Yonge-Dundas Square a few months before his passing — Martineau had a friend who owns a business in the area, and was tipped off to the fact that Google were on the verge of buying the building, and leasing out what they didn’t need. While there was some talk of moving Citytv further down the same road — somewhere around the Drake Hotel — after CTV started the process of evicting them from 299 Queen Street West, it was Martineau who convinced Ted to move elsewhere: “We have to take it to the next level,” he recalls saying. “Do something extraordinary … make a really bold statement that shows we are on the leading edge of what’s next.” And last night, when the Team Canada hockey victory erupted in said square just before 6 p.m., the station aired no live pictures — having cancelled weekend newscasts in January.

Wow, talk about a lost opportunity...they were in the Centre of it all.

And sadly, Google probably would have spent the necessary money (and in a faster manner) to make the building a decent landmark, and not an icon of failure, lost opportunity and ugliness.

Looks like Rogers is proceeding with the continued revamp of the City TV building.

I noticed personnel have removed a line of gray panels where the proposed news ticker will be located.

Ouch....That hurts!!

omni1.jpg

As always that's a great photo androiduk.

Does anyone know if these panels are LED for lighting effects or the long awaited ticker? If it's the ticker it seems pretty thin to me, as if Rogers didn't want to cover up too much of the building's beautiful exterior or some damn thing...

It looks like a ticker. Hopefully it's of the same quality as the one Sportsnet has on the Rogers Buidling.

It looks really thin. Why not use that whole space and make it wrap right around the curved tower? That would have been much cooler and eye catching. I guess this thin strip is the cheapest way to go and since Rogers is so poor, it's to be expected. Wasn't their pfofits over 300 million for the last quarter? (poor buggers!)

They are installing the LED lighting on the CityTv Building.

Were you referring to the ticker or were LED's installed elsewhere?

It looks really thin. Why not use that whole space and make it wrap right around the curved tower? That would have been much cooler and eye catching. I guess this thin strip is the cheapest way to go and since Rogers is so poor, it's to be expected. Wasn't their pfofits over 300 million for the last quarter? (poor buggers!)

I agree, that's what I meant above. It seems impossibly thin to be a ticker but it seems to be.

I can confirm it's the ticker. We got an email from the general manager last week stating that the ticker would be installed soon.

Also the ticker will indeed wrap around the curved portion. Well at least that's what the render shows in the e-mail we go.

Oh and in reference to an earlier post. City TV was not allowed to show any live olympic coverage including the winning goal until 24 hours after the game had ended due to to embargo rules.

Back