News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If it wasn't for the giant Breakfast Television billboard, you wouldn't even know CityTVw as located there - the OMNI and Rogers signage is up, but where's the CityTV one?

????

This building is an abomination. It looks terrible and no 1980's ticker is going to save it.

Agreed, this building is horrific. They basically just completed what was an already garbage design. Rogers has really dropped the ball.

A little dark, but this morning

I recall that one of the reasons why the Torch didn't rotate with signs was that the city didn't issue a permit for signage facing East on Dundas because it would disturb those in the Bond Place hotel (dumb excuse since the whole square's light must fill a room in the hotel enough to give you a tan). If the ticker faces east, that sets a precedent that will allow Rogers to reapply for a permit for ads on all sides of the torch. It's what made that structure unique so I hope it achieves its full potential at some point.

The ticker wraps around the whole torch base so it is visible from Church street. They were running TV ads on it today, I saw the simpsons, family guy and the office.

I recall that one of the reasons why the Torch didn't rotate with signs was that the city didn't issue a permit for signage facing East on Dundas because it would disturb those in the Bond Place hotel (dumb excuse since the whole square's light must fill a room in the hotel enough to give you a tan). If the ticker faces east, that sets a precedent that will allow Rogers to reapply for a permit for ads on all sides of the torch. It's what made that structure unique so I hope it achieves its full potential at some point.

As another member has noted it does indeed wrap all around. It faces more NE as opposed to east. Doubtful it will affect Bond Street Hotel clients much.

Awesome. Thanks for the updates guys.

... now on to the next phase: revamping the torch base or at least finishing it.

One thing that has lasted amazingly, and that I hope will continue to last through all the renovations, is the original cobblestone paving that runs along the streetcar turnoff through the building. I've always found it amazing that these little bits of old roadways have somehow lasted here and there throughout the city.

One thing that has lasted amazingly, and that I hope will continue to last through all the renovations, is the original cobblestone paving that runs along the streetcar turnoff through the building. I've always found it amazing that these little bits of old roadways have somehow lasted here and there throughout the city.
The TTC is supposed to re-lay the streetcar tracks on Victoria and at the Victoria/Dundas junction in 2013. Nice though I agree these cobblestones are, I fear they will be replaced by concrete then.

The TTC is supposed to re-lay the streetcar tracks on Victoria and at the Victoria/Dundas junction in 2013. Nice though I agree these cobblestones are, I fear they will be replaced by concrete then.

If that's the case, I hope I can go on down and grab a bunch for myself. I'd love to lay out a pathway or something with some authentic old cobblestones; once I get a place whose backyard isn't completely a deck that is.

The ticker always faced east, even before the new ticker was installed. They had put up the ticker on the east side, and along the west side but never filled in the north side. They always had permission to have the ticker extend east.

I recall that too... but one must wonder why it was never turned on. It was a brand new LED display that was never put to use. Hopefully Rogers found a new life for it somewhere else.

Back