News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Up and Running - today 12:30

It's actually a lot better than I expected. It's coloured and has enough resolution to properly display the Citytv logo. It goes a long way to making the building more dynamic and hides some of of the bland concrete. It doesn't fix all the problems with this building but that's not fixing everything is no excuse for fixing nothing.

They should add a second ticker on the curved concrete, immediately above the new one. It looks like they definitely have room for it, and if they were to use it as an auxiliary display for extra splash graphics it wouldn't really detract from the readability of what they have.

They could do something really cool in front of those HVAC units as well. A 15' high curved LED screen following the existing curved line of that wall would make the entire building almost acceptable.

Thanks for the video Cal. That really puts it into perspective and sells me on the idea that making the building come to life, having motion to it is what will save this side of the square.

I love how this ticker is top of the line. It's not the letters only ticker that was originally proposed, it's a full display in an unusual format. When the studios were being built, video screens on the wall under the tunnel were being considered to cover up the blank expanse and add something to the background of shows facing the square. This would help light up that dark corner and attract people here. Hopefully they do this.

Also, Rogers can take a suggestion from Sportsnet's King St. studio and apply it to Citytv/OMNI HQ: light up the studios at night with subtle but colourful lighting. Even if the studios aren't in use at night, some screens inside, playing current content on Rogers' channels and coloured LEDs lighting up different components will further add something interesting to the street level of this building and attract people over to the East side of the square.

I like the idea of another ticker above the existing one, but perhaps moving counter to the existing one. Also, simply covering up that concrete above the ticker with some black reflective cladding could look nice and add some finish.

I think that Citytv has experience in making dynamic buildings that interact with the street and their viewers and in the long run, that will prevail and reflect on this new building. It'll be just a matter of time.

EDIT: I wonder what the heck happened with the Citytv sign. It was already built back in November/December, waiting in a shop to be installed. From what I recall, it was approved by the city so I can't think of any reason why its installation is being held up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video Cal. That really puts it into perspective and sells me on the idea that making the building come to life, having motion to it is what will save this side of the square.

I love how this ticker is top of the line. It's not the letters only ticker that was originally proposed, it's a full display in an unusual format. When the studios were being built, video screens on the wall under the tunnel were being considered to cover up the blank expanse and add something to the background of shows facing the square. This would help light up that dark corner and attract people here. Hopefully they do this.

Also, Rogers can take a suggestion from Sportsnet's King St. studio and apply it to Citytv/OMNI HQ: light up the studios at night with subtle but colourful lighting. Even if the studios aren't in use at night, some screens inside, playing current content on Rogers' channels and coloured LEDs lighting up different components will further add something interesting to the street level of this building and attract people over to the East side of the square.

I like the idea of another ticker above the existing one, but perhaps moving counter to the existing one. Also, simply covering up that concrete above the ticker with some black reflective cladding could look nice and add some finish.

I think that Citytv has experience in making dynamic buildings that interact with the street and their viewers and in the long run, that will prevail and reflect on this new building. It'll be just a matter of time.

EDIT: I wonder what the heck happened with the Citytv sign. It was already built back in November/December, waiting in a shop to be installed. From what I recall, it was approved by the city so I can't think of any reason why its installation is being held up.

They probably don't want it taking attention away from the giant Rogers sign.

This building would have to be completely reclad to make it even close to decent. It's like the ugly stepsister of 10 Dundas.

What Rogers sign? The one above the door on Victoria? The OMNI sign is at least twice as big as that Rogers sign and the Citytv logo is already the centre of attention on the Breakfast Television billboard.

They already spent the money to manufacture the sign so there must be a good reason for it not to have gone up. Since the city already approved its installation, that crosses out the most plausible reason. The only thing I can think of is that Rogers is planning extensive work or replacement of the Torch structure so they're not bothering adding anything to it (i.e. Citytv sign).

Maybe there planing not to keep the station. With all the cutbacks I wouldn't be surprise if they sold Citytv.

After all the money and effort in building the new studios, I highly doubt they would get rid of City. Cutting down would devalue any sale potential. They cut down to build the station up from a sustainable level.

After all the money and effort in building the new studios, I highly doubt they would get rid of City. Cutting down would devalue any sale potential. They cut down to build the station up from a sustainable level.

Then what are they doing with this station?? It seems like they're letting it slowly die.

Rogers like any other business is in it to make money. They have too much invested in buying the station and building the new studios to just let it die. They're a public company, they're not just going to throw money away.

Like I said in the post above yours, they shrank the station to a sustainable level and will grow it accordingly. It sucks that they laid off so much staff and cancelled news and other local programming but the alternative meant they'd be such a liability that Rogers would have been better off cutting their losses and closing the station. At least like this, Citytv stays around to fight another day.

Now back to the building...

Back