News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The added bonus is that the Pantages (Canon) theatre is directly across the street. It'll make for a nice backdrop if CityTV uses the parking lot.
Although City-TV doesn't currently use their 299 Queen St W parking lot for much besides some BT skits. It's the now CTV-owned speciality channels that have the mega parties on the parking lot.

All of a sudden everyone will be walking around the building, seeing if they can get on television. I hope Zanta will christen the new location.

Yeah, he's not allowed on Queen St. but he hasn't been banned from YDS as far as I know. Then again, he's retired to Brampton.

Why would it need signage? it may be a dirty brick wall, but at least it's "honest"--no different from the Elgin/Wintergarden backside or, for that matter, Massey Hall...good, honest dirty brick walls casting their good, honest urban-backside gloom upon Victoria...

A little less honesty would be fine.

OK, it was a little hard to do, but I felt the need to seperate discussion regarding the new use for the Torch complex from discussion related to the CRTC and media consolidation in this country. I think most of us are in agreement that Projects & Construction topics shouldn't veer too far away from the building at hand.

Therefore, we now have this thread that you are reading to discuss City/OMNI's new home and a new thread titled Canadian Media & the CRTC to discuss those other broader issues. A few of the posts in our former super thread talked about both, so the split hasn't been perfect, but I did it as best I could.

Hope that makes sense!

Why is the "Lease" sign on the Torch building?

Didn't Rogers buy the building?

I wonder when we can expect progress on this building to become CityTV?

Why is the "Lease" sign on the Torch building?

Lazy-ass-y-ness at Rogers.

Didn't Rogers buy the building?

Maybe they were hoping one of those Calendar Club stores would move in over Commercialmas.

I wonder when we can expect progress on this building to become CityTV?

Be patient. Distract yourself. Think about all the nice Commercialmas presents you can buy for others.

Finally some information trickling in about this. An acquaintance at Rogers has told me that the torch portion of the building is coming down early in the new year. She said that part of the plan is to build cylinderical studios in its place to about the same height.

I got the feeling that Rogers is going to go with some high tech signage on the outside of their studio/tower. Can't wait to hear more about this.

Finally some information trickling in about this. An acquaintance at Rogers has told me that the torch portion of the building is coming down early in the new year. She said that part of the plan is to build cylinderical studios in its place to about the same height.
oulala. that sounds quite interesting. i can imagine the view from those studios. it would definitely give CityTV that interesting city newsroom look that they've always had at the old building.

can't wait to see what it might look like.

oulala. that sounds quite interesting. i can imagine the view from those studios. it would definitely give CityTV that interesting city newsroom look that they've always had at the old building.

can't wait to see what it might look like.

I'd be extremely supprised if one on the buildings adjacent didn't form part of this development. I think the bldg to the south is vacant...

That sounds really cool but also really, really infeasible (those would be tiny floors, take away the space for an elevator and a stairwell and you'll have space left over for... well, I'm not quite sure. Plus there's the question if the current base is structurally designed for such a move).

If they pull it off, Rogers (and Dundas Square!) will have a true icon on their hands. I'm looking forward to seeing plans or renders.

Back