News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Being cheaper isn't the yardstick we should be measuring long term infrastructure investments in.

Why not? Cheaper does not mean it will wear out faster in this case. People have to work for the tax money that they pay, why is it okay for that money to be wasted if it is on infrastructure?

Why not? Cheaper does not mean it will wear out faster in this case. People have to work for the tax money that they pay, why is it okay for that money to be wasted if it is on infrastructure?

On another interesting note in terms of the Bloor-Danforth extension, seems that the Lawrence East station will be named the Mandela station instead.

Being cheaper isn't the yardstick we should be measuring long term infrastructure investments in.

It is if it means funneling the money into other far more important long term infrastructure investments, like the DRL.

~~~
Naming a station after Mandela is stupid. What relationship does he have with that station?

I don't think anyone has a problem with the idea of a subway extension in general. If we already had the DRL built, and had improved transit on Finch, etc, I don't think anyone here would have a big problem. (except maybe the fiscal conservatives). There is just so much on the list that is more important than a scarborough subway. Also, the subway extension isn't even the best use of money for "long-term infrastructure investments". That would be running all-day electrified GO service and fare integration, which would provide much more bang-for-the-buck, and be much more useful for those that want a one-seat ride downtown, which seems to be the main priority of the proponents of this extension anyways.

No, but cost-benefit ratios are, and getting nearly the same benefit for MUCH less money makes sense.

It's not as if have a shortage of things we can spend transit dollars on. Is a slightly better subway connection worth NOT electrifying GO, for example?

I don't think anyone has a problem with the idea of a subway extension in general. If we already had the DRL built, and had improved transit on Finch, etc, I don't think anyone here would have a big problem. (except maybe the fiscal conservatives).

Except that there's no DRL, and the fiscal conservatives wanted the scarborough subway anyway. Whenever someone says "I'm a fiscal conservative", I know who not to vote for.

Seriously, is there anything else we can rename other than a subway station? There's been more than enough political BS shoved into this subway already.

Last edited:
It is if it means funneling the money into other far more important long term infrastructure investments, like the DRL.

~~~
Naming a station after Mandela is stupid. What relationship does he have with that station?

Its better than Black Creek Pioneer Village or Vaugan Metropolitan Center.

Except that there's no DRL, and the fiscal conservatives wanted the scarborough subway anyway. Whenever someone says "I'm a fiscal conservative", I know who not to vote for.

Seriously, is there anything else we can rename other than a subway station? There's more than enough political BS shoved into this subway to begin with.

How about renaming a street? We do that all the time in Toronto.

Edit: Now that I think about it, we should probably be careful what we wish for. We may very well end up with a proppsal to rename Lawrence East Station and Lawrence Avenue East to Mandela Station and Mandela Avenue respectively. Lawrence Avenue East isnt even connected to the other Lawrence Aveneues. :D

Last edited:
How about renaming a street? We do that all the time in Toronto.

Edit: Now that I think about it, we should probably be careful what we wish for. We may very well end up with a proppsal to rename Lawrence East Station and Lawrence Avenue East to Mandela Station and Mandela Avenue respectively. Lawrence Avenue East isnt even connected to the other Lawrence Aveneues. :D
Rod Ford Rehab Centre Station :p

We could funnel money from many areas of government to any imaginary project that may or may not happen 30 years from now. The government is giving money for this, not the DRL. Not putting a subway here isn't going to suddenly fund a nascent DRL.

It was hard enough to get the federal government to fork over money for the Bloor-Danforth extension to Scarborough Centre....now people want to throw that money away? Great idea guys.

Back