News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

But remember what happened in 1998, after amalgamation? Now everyone pays the same property tax rate in the old Metro. But before they didn't.

Property taxes in Toronto were lower. Scarborough were the highest. So to make it work, Toronto's taxes went up 18.7%. And Scarboough's went down 5.5%. For residential at least (Toronto had higher rental/commercial rates - which was fine, look at where all the offices were ... Scar bough and York/East York had much lower commercial rates - this is why office growth in Scarborough York/East York has been stagnant for the last 20 years).

Here's the change in rates for 1998 (from page F7 of the Toronto Star - January 4, 1998):
View attachment 101202

I'd be quite happy for taxes to only drop about 15% instead of 18.7% to pay for the DRL. And I'd be quite happy for Scarborough to stop leaching off everyone else.

You think that your taxes would roll back? We are now forced to deal with updating aging infrastructure and keeping up with a rapidly growing City. This issue is far worse Downtown and the reality is no longer low taxes. Completely different age we are now in.

Good luck with that.

I don't remember saying that....I don't know enough about them to have made that statement....I do believe that local jealousies over "what the other guy got/has" leads far to many of our transit decisions...but I don't remember saying something as specific as that this subway would lead to Sheppard East.
Well, it was a while ago, I'll try to find the post later.

You think that your taxes would roll bac? We are now forced to deal with updating aging infrastructure and keeping up with a rapidly growing City. This issue is far worse Downtown and the reality is no longer low taxes. Completely different age we are now in.

Good luck with that.
The bottom line is that it's cheaper to service denser areas. Scarborough is much less dense. Also house prices in Toronto are higher than Scarborough - perhaps even more so than in 1998. Plus Toronto has a huge commercial tax base that Scarborough doesn't have.

The combination of all this is that, it's inevitable that Toronto taxes will go down Perhaps not 18% - but who knows, perhaps more - look at all the service cuts since 1998. Meanwhile Scarborough rates have to go up for the same reason. Meanwhile Scarborough services have been expanded since 1998 - more libraries, more rec centres, etc.

If you don't think that Toronto wouldn't be paying lower taxes than Scarborough you are dreaming. It's the same reason that Toronto pays lower taxes than the surrounding municipalities.

Yes, please de-amalgamate. Make Toronto GREAT again!

The bottom line is that it's cheaper to service denser areas. Scarborough is much less dense. Also house prices in Toronto are higher than Scarborough - perhaps even more so than in 1998. Plus Toronto has a huge commercial tax base that Scarborough doesn't have.

The combination of all this is that, it's inevitable that Toronto taxes will go down Perhaps not 18% - but who knows, perhaps more - look at all the service cuts since 1998. Meanwhile Scarborough rates have to go up for the same reason. Meanwhile Scarborough services have been expanded since 1998 - more libraries, more rec centres, etc.

If you don't think that Toronto wouldn't be paying lower taxes than Scarborough you are dreaming. It's the same reason that Toronto pays lower taxes than the surrounding municipalities.

Yes, please de-amalgamate. Make Toronto GREAT again!

Naw just build the subway, Scarborough just wants to be part of the City. But if that cant happen de-amalgamate for sure. You can have the Gardiner and DRL and whatever RL's you want in the future.

And the Star and Metroland can fight Etobicoke and bash their candidates and people instead

Naw just build the subway, Scarborough just wants to be part of the City. But if that cant happen de-amalgamate for sure. You can have the Gardiner and DRL and whatever RL's you want in the future.
Have the Gardiner? Look at our downtown councillors. They just vote to put barrels at all the entrances/exits and let it fall down if no one else wants to pay for it.

I want to like your comment but I want to be clear that I am liking you leaving toronto. That is all.

I want to like your comment but I want to be clear that I am liking you leaving toronto. That is all.

All good. We'd still be neighbours., But itll be great if Scarborough can make its own decisions without being talk over by the media. That alone is huge.

The subway opponents on Council really do need to get their act together. These motions to simply cancel the project aren't ever going to gain traction. Opposing the project isn't good enough; they need to offer a viable package of alternatives.

Offer up one or two extra go stations with fare integration, SLRT extended to Malvern and the Crosstown East. This'll probably cost more than $3.56 Billion, so propose to use Toronto's infrastructure levies and federal funding to make up the gap. This debate has never been about the amount of money spent, but rather the value of the spending. Advocate for it in the media. If politicians want to oppose it, let them live or die on their opposition.

I am not sure that force-feeding Scarberians a more expensive meal that they do not want anyway, is a desirable course of actions.

Isn't it better to build the subway they want, and then devote the city / provincial / fed transit funds to the Relief line?

Just makes it worse.....in my view of the world, serving people is the number 1 priority in transit....city building comes 2nd (and a pretty distant one at that) for me.

Totally agree with that.

However, having a station within walking distance from a person's residence isn't the only way to serve that person.

I don't live within walking distance from Yonge subway, but ride it almost every workday. So, I suppose it serves me.

You think that your taxes would roll back? We are now forced to deal with updating aging infrastructure and keeping up with a rapidly growing City. This issue is far worse Downtown and the reality is no longer low taxes. Completely different age we are now in.

Good luck with that.

Are you ok?

No, seriously. Are you suffering from a mental disorder?

If you don't see how not spending the money proposed to be spent on the transit overbuild like the SSE will save the city precious funds that it can then spend on projects appropriate for the demand, then there is no helping you.

I actually seriously think you have a mental issue.

Are you ok?

No, seriously. Are you suffering from a mental disorder?

If you don't see how not spending the money proposed to be spent on the transit overbuild like the SSE will save the city precious funds, then there is no helping you.

I actually seriously think you have a mental issue.

You definitely have a temper issue.

You definitely have a temper issue.

If by having a "temper" means standing up against illogical paranoia, then sign me up.

Someone has to call out stupidity when they see it.

We all know that the SSE one-stop extension is purely a political play --- and none of us should stand for it. We don't have the money for this horseshit.

Spin off Scarborough? A bit rhetorical, guys. We would be back in the Metro/Municipal quagmire. Are we really going to split fire/police/ems? Sell Scarborough their own data systems for everything? Duplicate all the collective bargaining? Pay two mayors? Just to win the transit debate? There may be people feeling 'unloved', but this isn't to the point of Replicating Brexit.

- Paul

If by having a "temper" means standing up against illogical paranoia, then sign me up.

Someone has to call out stupidity when they see it.

We all know that the SSE one-stop extension is purely a political play --- and none of us should stand for it. We don't have the money for this horseshit.

You can stand for whatever you like.

But the style of some of your posts, to put it mildly, contrasts with the style of other posters.

Back