News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Being an institution my guess is they'll do it properly but given the lot already has some parking they may already have an approved parking permit for. Technically any changes require you to apply for a new DP. We'll see.

Being an institution my guess is they'll do it properly but given the lot already has some parking they may already have an approved parking permit for. Technically any changes require you to apply for a new DP. We'll see.
the previous parking would have been “accessory parking” intended to service tenants and customers utilizing the building on the site.

“non-accessory parking” supporting tenants and users elsewhere - whether paid or not - is a different issue and would require a development permit (noting that “non-accessory parking” Is often a non-permitted use even if “accessory parking” is a permitted use.

as a provincial entity however, macewan - like the u of a - is not actually obligated to comply with municipal regulations although they typically do so, at least to some degree, as s matter of courtesy.

I sorta wonder if MacEwan has a specific plan for a future expansion building on this property.

Simply put, it was a way (and good market timing) to reasonably acquire lands around their campus that will permit them flexibility and future expansion.

I suspect that it will remain parking for a decade or more:(

the previous parking would have been “accessory parking” intended to service tenants and customers utilizing the building on the site.

“non-accessory parking” supporting tenants and users elsewhere - whether paid or not - is a different issue and would require a development permit (noting that “non-accessory parking” Is often a non-permitted use even if “accessory parking” is a permitted use.

as a provincial entity however, macewan - like the u of a - is not actually obligated to comply with municipal regulations although they typically do so, at least to some degree, as s matter of courtesy.
Actually in the current bylaw there is no non-accessory or accessory parking any longer. It's just called vehicle parking and is really regulations around parkade design, landscaping, etc. My guess is the new zoning bylaw is similar.

^
thanks for the updated information!

either way, however, i believe macewan may still be able to do whatever macewan wants…

and based on the double canopy of boulevard trees on 104 avenue alone, they still get a bit of a pass from me.

I think this permit actually has to do with new LED lighting scheme on the buildings.

Reference ID:Job No 484527335-004
Description:To develop a Comprehensive Sign Design Plan - ATB Place.
Plan 882RS Lot 10A
10025 - JASPER AVENUE NW
Plan F Blk OT
10025 - JASPER AVENUE NW
Plan F Lots 7-9
10020 - 100 STREET NW
Plan 384TR Lot 12A
Applicant:DIALOG
Create Date:2023-10-11T15:17:16Z

They plan (want) to build a parkade there, so I suspect it will be parking for a lot longer than just a decade. Hopefully some thought goes into design and the lower level can at least have retail or some amenities for students instead of just a wall of cars.

Back