News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This is so typical of Edmonton sports fans (and Canadian sports fans for that matter). If their CFL team loses home games for 2 straight seasons or their basketball team wins back-to-back championships, most of them can barely stifle a yawn. But if their NHL team loses 2 straight games, all of a sudden the sky starts falling. It's so damn rich I tell ya!

It's not about two loses, it's about how they lost and a trend of bad habits.

This shot sums up the game for me last night = poor positioning, racing around and leaving Skinner to end for himself.
Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 9.50.43 AM.png

Last edited:
For the life of me I just cannot understand why this team refuses to take that next step forward to being top tier NHL team. Win against Minnesota and last night against the flamers (both VERY winnable games) and we are all alone in 2nd place 1 point ahead of Vegas and 8 behind Van with multiple games in hand in both teams. Instead we are tied with LA for 3rd and a loss to LA tomorrow night puts us in the 1st wildcard and looking over our shoulder at NAS, Minny, STL, and the flamers. This group frustrates the living he!! Out of me.

Yes it is Skinner (the goaltending):

2 of the last 3 games should have been wins (Boston game and Minnesota game), but weren't thanks to TERRIBLE goaltending. Pickard was to blame on literally every single goal in the Minnesota game: lets in an unscreened wrister from far out, lets in an unscreened slapper because he's out of position, decides for some reason to launch himself out of the net, totally losing his positioning, allowing Boldy to make a simple cut to the inside and put it in an essentially empty cage. In the Boston game, Skinner was just flat out bad, letting in softies from everywhere and biting hard on the OT goal (though Kane was also terrible on that play and in general in that game).

I did not watch the whole Calgary game and first couple goals had a few defensive miscues, but Skinner was also letting in softies as well (for example, on the Pospisil goal, he let in an entirely unscreened wrist shot from quite far out). I can't blame Skinner too much on the Calgary game bc I didn't watch much of it and the defense was struggling a bit when I watched. The defense has not been as good as it was during the streak make no mistake about that. But they've regressed to being above average as opposed to elite. The goaltending however has become horrible. It's no coincidence that as soon as Skinner and Pickard started putting up .900+ sv% that the Oilers were suddenly unstoppable. There's a culture of don't blame the goalie in hockey, and especially Oilers fans and media for some reason are EXTREMELY quick to blame everything on the defense. The truth is though, that the defense apart from the parts of the Calgary game that I saw, is basically fine and doing their job. The goaltending is extremely porous right now and letting the team down big time. It's time for a change in net.

Skinner can improve and like I said needs to make 1 more save per game, but our D has slipped once again and leaves them hanging.

Add in the fact that you are not likely to win most games with 2 or even 3 goals... especially given the new NHL and the fact that we have 97 and 29 in the lineup.

2 of the last 3 games should have been wins (Boston game and Minnesota game), but weren't thanks to TERRIBLE goaltending. Pickard was to blame on literally every single goal in the Minnesota game
The Boston game was a defensive shitshow, and both goalies let in softies. The difference was mostly on the amount of grade A shots Boston had vs the Oilers.

I agree with the Minnesota game, re: Pickard.

The Calgary game was the worst defensive display from this team since BEFORE Woody was fired. On the same level as the first 2 games vs Vancouver. Skinner was hung out to dry, pure and simple. No goalie would've turned that game in our favour, even if we had a Bobrovsky, Vasiylev, Sorokin, Halleybuck... We would've lost.

Skinner can improve, he's by no means a top tier goalie (I think he can be a FUTURE top tier goalie, tho). He also needs more rest, and a 1B experienced goalie that could help develop him for a couple of seasons, while providing safe goaltending more regularly than Pickard can. (I would honestly give an arm to get Fleury for this, but I know it's too expensive and unlikely).

Seeing the probable lines for today, and CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT IN THE LIVING CRAP is wrong with Kris Knoblauch?

He hasn't repeated lines a single time since the All-star break. He keeps experimenting, and losing himself (and the team's confidence) in the process.

The 18-97-93 line is arguably the best line in hockey at the moment... The 91-29-37 line was BUZZING during the streak...

It looks like at the first sign of adversity, he lost confidence on what had worked so well for so long. It started with the defensive shuffling (HUUUUGE MISTAKE) and now the constant line scramble. One of the biggest things the team had going for it during that amazing 30-something stretch prior to the All-star break was the consistent play, every game, every time. Doesn't matter if we started losing, they would stick to the plan, with the well established lines, chemistry and concentration.

Now it feels like every period there's a different line combination up and down the lineup.

I'm not gonna ask for his head, as it probably wouldn't solve anything anyways, but someone needs to knock him in the head...

but our D has slipped once again and leaves them hanging.
In the Calgary game yes. Not vs Boston or Minnesota especially Minnesota.

Skinner can improve
This is true, and I'm not asking him to be perfect. But he is insanely streaky. He played out of his mind during the streak, and now has played terrible since. He needs to find a happy medium. If he's going to just be a streaky goalie and they have to deal with that, Pickard is not the guy you want in the backup spot. Pickard would be fine if Skinner could be trusted to be a solid starter for a whole season, then Pickard could just take a few games here and there to rest him. Skinner, can't be trusted not to go on week or month long stretches of subpar play. When he's at his best he's very good, he has trouble staying there. As a result, the Oilers need somebody they can trust to reliably take over when Skinner goes through rough patches.

Bad goaltending can make any defense core look bad. Mistakes are typically only noticed if they're extremely obvious, or lead to a goal. As a result, you don't notice defensive mistakes as much when the goalie is playing well. Just look at Carolina, one of the best defenses in the league, made look like a peewee team near the beginning of the year thanks to awful goaltending from Raanta and Kochetkov.

Much like we can't expect Skinner to sustain is incredible play from the streak, we can't expect the defense to either.

What's more likely?:

all 6 defenseman (or a majority of them) suddenly simultaneously stopped playing well defensively

or

the 1 guy between the pipes isn't playing up to par

I tend to think the latter. Especially when the stats don't support that the defense suddenly sucks out of nowhere, and show a pretty big drop in goaltending performance, with only a small drop in defensive metrics.

Add in the fact that you are not likely to win most games with 2 or even 3 goals... especially given the new NHL and the fact that we have 97 and 29 in the lineup.
This is true. The Oilers have probably 3 true snipers on the whole team: Draisaitl, Kane and Bouchard. One of them is one of the streakiest players in the entire league (Kane). McDavid has been snakebitten lately (like 15 posts in the last 5 games). I think Nuge could be a sniper if he started using his rocket wrister more on the powerplay, but he's a pass first player through and through and that's not about to change anytime soon. Outside of those three the Oilers have a combo of smart playmakers and play drivers, who are great at generating high quality chances for themselves and team mates, but struggle to finish on a consistent basis. Foegele and McCleod are the perfect example: fast, good hands, good playmaking, solid puck carrying ability, no finish. The Oilers need another sniper. A Pavel Buchnevich, or Vladimir Tarasenko, or (optimistically) Jake Guentzel who can finish off some of these chances. For a more affordable option, adding a middle six sniper who can move up and down the lineup could be good as well, along the lines of Anthony Duclair. Los Angeles is pretty much the opposite team to the Oilers in this regard, they rely on a few high tier snipers to finish a more limited number of shots since they play a tight defensive system, that generates fewer chances for them, but stifles opponents in the neutral zone. They turn the puck over, get it to Kempe or Fiala and let them take shots and see what happens.

The Oilers also seem to run into a hot goalie all the time. Probably a combination of a lack of finishing ability and bad luck around the net.

Goal against #1 - 3 Oilers (2 D) in front of the net versus their 2 and they score with #25 running around with head cutoff for the majority of that shirt. Play your side.

Goal against #2 - off the rush give away by 14, 3 Oilers in the D-zone with 14 and 97 on one King, but #2 nowhere to be seen (burnt at the line) and 2 Kings out front Skinner unchallenged.

Last edited:
Huge night for Skinner with 38 saves... even after the above.

The offensive side of things had improvements, but not a ton of quality chances once again and individual efforts versus passing plays.

BUT, again, little mistakes all over the place and a poor PP. We get given two PPs with what, 6 minutes to go and cannot get a shot on one and don't score on either? You have to capitalize on one of those to put these games away.

Better, but not good enough for almost March.

That said, a W is a W and I will take this one.

Gene Principe interviewing Bouchard after tonight's game:

"Sometimes it's not how you start, it's how you finish."
Sometimes? Has he been watching this team this year? Haha
Ah, sports cliches.

In the same interview Bouch shared 'we've been a little slow in the first and if we clean that up we are going to be a dangerous team'

Why aren't they doing that again/now?

Skinner played a solid game, now he has to just do that consistently, doesn't mean he can't have an off night here or there, just don't go on two week to a month long stretches of terrible play. If he has a stretch like he did the last 5-6 games in the playoffs, the Oilers will be in trouble.

The 1st goal was pretty lucky tbh, Byfield blindly throws it back and it somehow careens in between several different pairs of sticks and skates right to Moore in the slot. Could it have been played better, for sure, Ceci and Nurse do not work well together, and frequently don't trust that the other has their guy, leading to confusion and both of them going to one player at times, but the fact it even got to Moore was insanely lucky. You expect that pass to hit something along the way and get lost in the mess of skates and sticks.

2nd goal, Bouchard makes a bad pinch and gets walked, not much more to say.

Bouch made up for it with a goal and an assist, setting up Leon for the tying goal and then the game winner on a rocket of a one timer.

Not the cleanest game and I don't like the trend of getting down early and then having to come back, but it's better than getting out to a big lead and then giving up a bunch in the 3rd. A win is a win. If Skinner has found his game again, I expect the Oilers to win a few in a row, or maybe their next 4 of 5 or something like that.

Back