News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Plus someone need to force feed him the question - why should at least 10+ years of parking surchages from the entire city (if I am not mistaken) go to fund a line with rather low ridership, instead of DRL.

And for the record, someone should remind his worship that the TTC didn't start with subways.

AoD
I sure do not want to pay parking charges to fund a sheppard subway. And thats the problems. People will only want to pay these charges if they are getting improved transit nearby where they live. For sure the DRL needs to be built and that serves the greatest number of people

Hi,

I think the first example you've described would be called LRT running in ROW B whereas it would be more apt to describe LRT running in ROW C (i.e. mixed traffic) as simply 'streetcars'. A hydro corridor would probably be considered ROW A, assuming there are automatic barriers at road crossings and street traffic must yield to LRT vehicles at all times.
But for Torontonians, a subway is what they ride on Yonge/University.Bloor not what they get on at Union that goes along Queens Quay which some call LRT and thats what will be along Eglinton except 3 cars and only slightly wider than a streetcar. Will these LRT along Eglinton be completely opened like the new subway cars that you can see all the way through. At least then it may look closer to the subway cars and not small like you are in an individual streetcar

Last edited:
Palma, a quick google of Adam Vaughan reveals neither corruption charges nor criminal charges. Could you elaborate?
Also, could you be more specific about the councillors that you are accusing, and what they are guilty of?

Palma, a quick google of Adam Vaughan reveals neither corruption charges nor criminal charges. Could you elaborate?
Also, could you be more specific about the councillors that you are accusing, and what they are guilty of?

Perhaps he was thinking of the City of Vaughan?

I did not say Adam Vaughan. I was addressing the issue with Julian Fantino and people stating he was a crimminal. He got elected in Vaughan and thats why I said thats Vaughan for you and then I went on to mention the councillor facing corruption charges there. Well I do not follow the politics of Vaughan but kept hearing the news prior to the last election of councillor facing charges. It seemed like every week you heard this. As my cousin who lives there said - voting for one who faces the least charges against them

Last edited:
Lots of hypocrites here. A while back people were arguing that the LRT underground is a subway. Then when Rob Ford calls it a subway everyone starts calling him a liar? Is the undeground portion on the Eglinton line not a subway. I need a clear definition, specificlly the underground portion. I've seen bridges identified as subways. Is express buses a a form of rapid transit, considered rapid transit? The terminolgy here seems to be defined on how you want it, to make Rob Ford look bad?

While I was taking the GO train back from the auto show last night, I thought to myself it could have very well been a subway car. Sure the seating was much nicer, but the barriers between the doors and seats was very similar and it made the TTC chime when closing the door. Looking at the tracks after getting off the train, they looked very similar to those in many outdoor stops with their wooden ties.

The point I'm getting at is that at the end of the day, rail is rail. Comparing LRT to metos/subways to double decker commuter rail is like comparing a sub-compact to a mid-size to an SUV. It is all determined by the vehicle used, and like with cars, there are plenty of grey areas (a Prius might be classified as a compact, but some of its dimensions are comparable to much larger vehicles).

So with Eglinton, seeing that it is underground and its trains will have similar dimensions and capacities to the metro trains on Sheppard, it is a subway. However, because the trains are also of a premium design to allow street running and the tunnels have to be extra high to use overhead wires, it is a subway with a lot of gravy on top.

The point I'm getting at is that at the end of the day, rail is rail. Comparing LRT to metos/subways to double decker commuter rail is like comparing a sub-compact to a mid-size to an SUV. It is all determined by the vehicle used, and like with cars, there are plenty of grey areas (a Prius might be classified as a compact, but some of its dimensions are comparable to much larger vehicles).

So with Eglinton, seeing that it is underground and its trains will have similar dimensions and capacities to the metro trains on Sheppard, it is a subway. However, because the trains are also of a premium design to allow street running and the tunnels have to be extra high to use overhead wires, it is a subway with a lot of gravy on top.

I find it hard to believe the trains to run along Eglinton are the same as those that run along Sheppard which has the subway which i imagine are the same as the subway cars that run on Yonge and Bloor and Spadina. I saw one of the station design and they had a rendering on the lRT and ti looked like a streetcar only it was 3 cars in length

This city has huge problems with transit and the whole model needs to be changed. TTC is a joke with many employees making over 100K really? to drive a bus? be a collector? These salaries should be capped at $16/h and there still will be line ups for these easy to do jobs. The Union MUST GO, they are killing the TTC, let private investment flow into to the TTC, allow private holdings etc. The TTC is a cash mine with all the property they own, this must be developed. All subway stations can have more retail, why not build skyscrapers above them? office? condos?

Then when we need subways built, lrts, streetcar lines etc we need to learn from Asia. Look at China/Taiwan and how fast and rapidly they have built their subway systems. The amount of time and money these Union slobs took to make that disater St.Clair LRT they could have built a subway line with 50 stops. I say outsource it to a Asian company to manage and oversee operations and use local labourers.

Toronto needs to wake up, enough is enough. Rob Ford you want to build subways great, but the entire system is broken so start with that.

This city has huge problems with transit and the whole model needs to be changed. TTC is a joke with many employees making over 100K really? to drive a bus? be a collector? These salaries should be capped at $16/h and there still will be line ups for these easy to do jobs.

Drivers making 100k per year work 100 hours per week. Hire more drivers and reduce the overtime.

That said, service expansions under Miller were deferred twice due to lack of drivers (not enough new hires). There isn't a line around the block of qualified persons for the jobs at todays pay rates. This is mostly because of the lousy hours; particularly if you get a split shift.

6am to 10am then 3pm to 7pm makes for one heck of a long day.

If you get an 8 hour block it's just as likely to be 4am to noon or 8pm to 4am as anything nice.

Qualifications are in place to keep insurance rates low. The bus is $500k and I imagine medical liability on a full load (50 people) is around the $25 Million mark.

Also, York Region uses a number of private operators and has the lowest salaries in the GTA by far. It's still more than $16 though.

Last edited:

Back