News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Plus someone need to force feed him the question - why should at least 10+ years of parking surchages from the entire city (if I am not mistaken) go to fund a line with rather low ridership, instead of DRL.

And for the record, someone should remind his worship that the TTC didn't start with subways.

AoD

He'll just answer with "the people want subways" and move on. There's little point in challenging him as he doesn't know much beyond his speaking points.

The point is to challenge him again and again on that - it's a page off the "if you repeat it enough times, it must be true" mantra.

AoD

The latest is Rob and Doug Ford will be hosting The City, a 2-hour afternoon show on News talk 1010. Josh Matlow has hosted it up until now and I was surprised this morning when I heard these 2 were going to be hosting it. As Jerry Agar the 9-12 M-F morning talk show host said, it was not the Josh Matlow show but The City which means any number of councilors can host it. I guess after the Fords make fools of themselves there will be other councilors to host it. I cannot believe his handlers are making him do this. But I cannot believe they won’t be around them when the show is on.

If his handlers are smart, they'll insist on a 7 second delay so they can cover up the gaffes he is bound to make. I'm sure they had wished they had that when he made his "council is irrelevant" comment.

^^^ I personally don't see the issue there. Underground LRT is rapid transit.

Because for most people in Toronto its not. I can see them imaging its a subway and once built and they go take it saying its streetcars underground. Plus Rob Ford show campaign on that - LRT underground. He knows "Subways" gets people to notice instead of saying LRT because otherwise he would have been saying people want underground transit and not saying subways. Plus he again said this morning developers are knocking down their doors to build Sheppard subway and that even Dr Chong report showed there are all sorts of DC to pay for them. Finally he admits you need these designated charges

Plus he again said this morning developers are knocking down their doors to build Sheppard subway...

Then why hasn't he issued an RFP? Build and run a Toronto subway without taxpayer subsidies. He could have 4 new lines under construction today!

Or are developers wanting to invest $100M into a subway plan for a $1B no-risk land donation? Yeah, I'd be knocking at Ford's door too if I thought there was a very small chance of that happening.

Last edited:
Lots of hypocrites here. A while back people were arguing that the LRT underground is a subway. Then when Rob Ford calls it a subway everyone starts calling him a liar? Is the undeground portion on the Eglinton line not a subway. I need a clear definition, specificlly the underground portion. I've seen bridges identified as subways. Is express buses a a form of rapid transit, considered rapid transit? The terminolgy here seems to be defined on how you want it, to make Rob Ford look bad?

From what I've seen, Rob Ford needs no assistance in looking bad.

The terminology used in the debate has been used fairly loosely at times, admittedly. But it's been done on all sides. And good luck in getting agreement about even fairly basic definitions of "subway," "light rail," "rapid transit."

People often don't fully comprehend that there are two roles to the public servant - being unwavering in advice, and loyal in implementation. Webster was fulling the first role when he presented his findings. I haven't seen evidence that he would have not implemented Ford's plan had council not reversed it.

Bang on. The most obvious indicator of Webster's loyalty is the report that finally leaked -- I'd guess through Karen Stintz's office -- which details why subways on Sheppard aren't economically viable. That report was written in March 2011, then suppressed by the mayor. Webster made no move to leak the report or its contents to the media or to publicly make that information available in any way. He wasn't rocking the boat.

As for comparisons to Fantino: Julian wasn't fired.

While I agree with the general sentiment and wouldn't like to see street cars go, keep in mind that the Toronto's subway system is very underdeveloped compared to world-class cities like London, Paris, New York, etc. Toronto is one of the few major worldwide cities that don’t have subway/train between the city core and its main airport.

Lots of hypocrites here. A while back people were arguing that the LRT underground is a subway. Then when Rob Ford calls it a subway everyone starts calling him a liar? Is the undeground portion on the Eglinton line not a subway. I need a clear definition, specificlly the underground portion. I've seen bridges identified as subways. Is express buses a a form of rapid transit, considered rapid transit? The terminolgy here seems to be defined on how you want it, to make Rob Ford look bad?

All the terms are extremely wishy-washy, even on UT which you'd expect people to be a bit more knowledgeable.

I think the best definitions are the ones that the everyday person understands.

subway - pretty straightforward, the Yonge-University-Spadina, Bloor-Danforth and Sheppard lines
streetcar - all our 500-series routes
bus - easy-pasy

where it gets tricky is:
"rapid transit"
"light rail"
"LRT"
"LRV"
"tram"
"BRT"
"BRT-lite"
"ALRT"

The Spadina, St. Clair and Harbourfront lines variously become LRT or streetcar depending on who you ask and what point they're trying to make.

I think the best distinction between LRT and streetcar is not the vehicles (since they can and do both use the same vehicles, and they're always LRVs) but the way they're run (stop spacing, all-door boarding, grade separation and/or ROW).

If a transit vehicle runs on rails on a street, separated ROW or not, it is a streetcar. Design, size, power pickup or anything else it is a streetcar because it is running on a street and it's operation is constrained by the characteristics of the street on which it runs. The stop spacing is not particularly important if the vehicle is required to respect the constraints of traffic lights and cross streets. If you choose to call this mode of transit an LRT what would you call the same vehicles if they were running anywhere but on a street, say a Hydro ROW?

Hi,

I think the first example you've described would be called LRT running in ROW B whereas it would be more apt to describe LRT running in ROW C (i.e. mixed traffic) as simply 'streetcars'. A hydro corridor would probably be considered ROW A, assuming there are automatic barriers at road crossings and street traffic must yield to LRT vehicles at all times.

Back