News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Aren't those the same street lights as the rest of 17th has currently? I don't mind them personally, just don't think they should be in the middle of a sidewalk.

Yeah, I seem to remember them saying that the current 2 3/4 lane width would be reduced to one parking and one driving lane. Which makes sense. The lane they have now beside the parking lane is dicey.
Really? So the right lanes are still going to be two car-widths wide? The plans seem to indicate wider sidewalks and narrower car lanes: http://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...nstruction-macleodtr-2st-plan-view-design.pdf

If they don't narrow the car lanes, the one upside is that there will be more pressure to install protected bike lanes in the future.

Yeah, I seem to remember them saying that the current 2 3/4 lane width would be reduced to one parking and one driving lane. Which makes sense. The lane they have now beside the parking lane is dicey.

The change is so minimal to sidewalk width. It's a wasted opportunity and another example of how everything comes down to accommodating vehicle traffic. I would have preferred the whole street reduced to 2 or 3 lanes instead of 4.

Agreed. It should be one parking lane and one driving lane on each side. The ~8' of extra lane that gets taken away would be good space to increase the sidewalk. I thought the plan was to get rid of the third lane on the south side, which would give that extra 8' or so.

I'm ok with keeping parking on both sides and having the extra lane. 17th is an amenity for the entire city, not just people who can walk there. I live a few blocks of 17th and parking in my area cannot handle overflow from 17th. The extra lane makes traffic move, as much as people don't want to admit it, 17th is also a commuter street, and that extra westbound lane keeps if from being completely screwed in he evenings. I've never really had issues with the sidewalks there either, they seem wide enough to me.

Agreed. It should be one parking lane and one driving lane on each side. The ~8' of extra lane that gets taken away would be good space to increase the sidewalk. I thought the plan was to get rid of the third lane on the south side, which would give that extra 8' or so.
This is the case on so many roads. Whenever there isn't really room for that second land (with parking), it should be converted to 1 lane + parking + wide sidewalk or bike lane. This also applies to many-lane roads with a "parking lane". Parked cars need only about 60-70% the space of moving cars.

I don't object to parking or driving on 17 Avenue, but if we have to choose between pedestrians and motorists (and we do in this case) the choice should be pedestrians for Calgary's only real walking street. I would also say that during rush hours 17 Avenue will continue to be a 4-lane road, with parking banned during these times. It's really unpleasant to walk on 17th during rush hours. This design won't change that discomfort.

I'm fine with parking on both sides of the road also, and I do believe it's needed. I think we could do without the extra lane. It might come in handy at rush hour, but for the rest of the time outside of rush hour the extra sidewalk space for pedestrians would be nice.

I don't object to parking or driving on 17 Avenue, but if we have to choose between pedestrians and motorists (and we do in this case) the choice should be pedestrians for Calgary's only real walking street. I would also say that during rush hours 17 Avenue will continue to be a 4-lane road, with parking banned during these times. It's really unpleasant to walk on 17th during rush hours. This design won't change that discomfort.
Why is it pedestrians vs cars in this case? there is currently sufficient room for both.

I've always felt that the south side of 17th could use more sidewalk room in at least a few locations (Macleod - 1st SE, 4th - 6th, 6th - 7th, 8th -9th). On weekends or weekdays during rush hour, or on summer evenings it can get pretty congested.
Maybe I'm biased because I walk and bike a fair bit, but I've noticed that as a general observation.

2017 Aug 31 110.JPG

Attachments

• 2017 Aug 31 110.JPG
    2017 Aug 31 110.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 280

Back